Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine Oil Top Up

Personally I would rather carry a spare litre of the correct long life oil under bonnet than drive around Dunnet Head or Skye watching my display screen telling me to check oil level or even worse head into the city to find the correct oil when I am away on holiday.

Have never run out of top up oil or wine when on a trip.

Last edited:
As above. I like the hiding place under the bonnet. Also can recognise the maths that if I'm on max when I leave it's going to have to be a lot of miles to get to min, but then this trip has been 1,800, or will be by the time I get home.

Hence my thought that checking every 5k miles is enough. If you think about it your 1800 miles is very roughly 10% of the 15k you did before you needed a litre. Although I think the wine consumption statistics may vary slightly from this....

But carrying on with the first thought.. that means you'll have used about a tenth of a litre and if you were to do the trip again you might perhaps think you might need to top up a bit based on the dipstick. So really you don't need to carry oil. Stick to the earlier mantra - wine (or beer), and whatever came next.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but my oil is a little low on the dipstick check (about 1/3 way up the grippy surfaced bit of the stick) and just wanted to check the oil I have is okay for a Cali on a long life service plan (she's done roughly 11000 miles since new).

I have Shell Helix Ultra Professional 5W-30 AF-L fully synthetic. Is this safe to use?

Thanks,
Maud

Thank you, Raggedroy - and thanks for the links too. Looks like oil will be on the shopping list for next weekend then! :)

VW specify 5W30 synthetic oil and use this when the dealers do a service.

Alan

So any 5W30 oil will do??

As far as I am aware yes, although I would favour the better makes. Mobile, Castrol, Shell and the like and not cheap oil.

Oil is the blood of the engine and has to work hard, particularly in a diesel engine. So the price of a decent litre of oil is cheap compared to the cost of repairing or at worst replacing an engine.

Alan

As far as I am aware yes, although I would favour the better makes. Mobile, Castrol, Shell and the like and not cheap oil.

Oil is the blood of the engine and has to work hard, particularly in a diesel engine. So the price of a decent litre of oil is cheap compared to the cost of repairing or at worst replacing an engine.

Alan
It may be just marketing hype but that is not what VW recommend. The two links show two oils from the same manufacturer with the same viscosity characteristics. I have shown Shell as the example because that is the particular brand Maud was enquiring about.
http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/oil...hell-helix-ultra-professional-af-l-5w-30.html
http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/oil...tic/shell-helix-ultra-professional-av-l-5w-30.
One oil is recommended specifically for VW, I'm not sure what the difference is in the make up of the oil but most oil manufacturers have one for VW. I believe it has something to do with long life requirements due to the extended intervals between VW servicing.

Personally I would rather carry a spare litre of the correct long life oil under bonnet than drive around Dunnet Head or Skye watching my display screen telling me to check oil level or even worse head into the city to find the correct oil when I am away on holiday.

Have never run out of top up oil or wine when on a trip.

Agree. Shouldn't rely on the oil light coming on. Bulbs can fail. That's why there is a dipstick.
Jen. Order shou be. Oil wine water cos if there's no oil it means walking to get the wine :(

Thread resurrection based on a search.

I need to buy some oil, never needed when running a Volvo, anyway is the consensus as long as the oil is 5W30 and meets the VW507 standard all oils that match this criteria are good to use?

I take it all oils are not equal?

..message ends..

Hi, hope someone can advise if this oil will be appropriate for topping up my 2017 Ocean Dsg?

Halfords 5W30 Fully Synthetic VW/Audi 2 Litre Oil
The Halfords 5W30 Fully Synthetic VW/Audi 2 Litre Oil is available in a 2 litre bottle and is suitable for most VW, Audi, Seat & Skoda vehicles from 2005 onwards and meets the requirements of VW and Audi 504 00/507 00 Long Life Service

Halfords 5W30 Fully Synthetic VW/Audi 2 Litre Oil Extra Info
  • Oil viscosity 5W30
  • Fully Synthetic
  • It meets the requirements of VW and Audi 504 00/507 00 Long Life Service
  • 2 litre bottle

Hi, hope someone can advise if this oil will be appropriate for topping up my 2017 Ocean Dsg?

The Halfords 5W30 Fully Synthetic VW/Audi 2 Litre Oil is available in a 2 litre bottle and is suitable for most VW, Audi, Seat & Skoda vehicles from 2005 onwards and meets the requirements of VW and Audi 504 00/507 00 Long Life Service

• Oil viscosity 5W30
  • Fully Synthetic
  • 2 litre bottle
It should do. What does it say in your handbook?

Reactions: RFH

• Oil viscosity 5W30
  • Fully Synthetic
  • 2 litre bottle

It does seem to fit the bill but don't take my word for it as I am the resident dipstick when it comes to all things to do with oil :oops:

When I was looking I did notice that there are many 5w30 variants so they are not all made the same nowadays. However, if you have the one that specifies the correct 504/7 etc. number you should be OK.

Thanks for quick reply Welshgas. The Manual that came with my Cali from new is a multivan , Business Edition 11.2016. Page 280 states Permitted engine oil specification for all Diesel engine with DPF = VW 507 00.

Many thanks. So given that the oil it states that it meets the requirements of VW 507 00 long life service it should be fine?

Good deal on Castrol 15668E EDGE 5W-30 LL Engine Oil, 4L - Gold for £29.42 at Amazon

Back