Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine pulley squeak

Volkywagen

Volkywagen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I’ve noticed that when starting from cold a pulley has started to squeak. Only does it for 5 mins then seems ok.
Has anybody else experienced this? Is it a back to the garage job?
I’m a firm believer in ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ but don’t want the timing belt flying off if a bearing on a pulley throws its guts out?

Think I’ve got the same kind of squeak think going on. Fore some reason, I have in my head that a sound like it is associated with the drive belt but have no clue if it’s correct or not. I too am wondering if it needs to go back to the dealers to be checked out??

I think it’s a pulley. Might be newness?!
I’ve read on another forum of other T6 variants doing it as well. Might call dealers this week and see what they say :thumb

I think it’s a pulley. Might be newness?!
I’ve read on another forum of other T6 variants doing it as well. Might call dealers this week and see what they say :thumb
I seem to remember there was a TPI for this. I think the belt, pulleys and tensioner are replaced with modified items.

Hi, can't seem to find anything in the threads about this and the squeaky noise is still there. Does anyone have any more information or help with this please ?

I get this when the auxiliary belt gets dry, I turn the steering fully to the right and then you can see the bottom pulley and give it a spray with some silicone.

update on this - i sent the van back to VW, and they seemed to know exactly what it was, and replaced a couple of pulleys and the belt (under warranty) This was at liverpool CVW.

Great many thanks. I’m calling my dealership tomorrow to book mine in for a few items & a general health check. I can let them know that it’s an issue.

I have what I think is exactly this squeak. Reported it when it went in for it’s intermediate (first) service last year and was told that they couldn’t recreate it and no problem. It did it again over the winter but the service centre is a two hour round trip (my local garage only do vans, not Californias) so I videoed it on my phone and reported it again when I took it in for it’s full (second) service the week before last and showed and sent the mechanics the video. Mechanic said great and that he’d get it sorted.
When I collected it I was again told that they can’t recreate it and therefore they can’t replace anything or do any work on it as they wouldn’t be able to claim for it under warranty without a clear diagnosis to claim against. The service manager at Breeze told me I would have to bring it back again during Winter and leave it with them for them to be able to diagnose it but as far as they were concerned everything was fine and there was no issue to deal with at the moment. I understand the challenge for them - however not very happy that a two year old £50k van often sounds like the car I had when I was 17 and the entire car cost me less than the full service did for the van!
If there is a known issue then did they give you a reference number or tell you what pulleys were replaced? Did they tell you anything that I can point Breeze at to tell them what to do to fix it?

Thanks,

Jez

I have what I think is exactly this squeak. Reported it when it went in for it’s intermediate (first) service last year and was told that they couldn’t recreate it and no problem. It did it again over the winter but the service centre is a two hour round trip (my local garage only do vans, not Californias) so I videoed it on my phone and reported it again when I took it in for it’s full (second) service the week before last and showed and sent the mechanics the video. Mechanic said great and that he’d get it sorted.
When I collected it I was again told that they can’t recreate it and therefore they can’t replace anything or do any work on it as they wouldn’t be able to claim for it under warranty without a clear diagnosis to claim against. The service manager at Breeze told me I would have to bring it back again during Winter and leave it with them for them to be able to diagnose it but as far as they were concerned everything was fine and there was no issue to deal with at the moment. I understand the challenge for them - however not very happy that a two year old £50k van often sounds like the car I had when I was 17 and the entire car cost me less than the full service did for the van!
If there is a known issue then did they give you a reference number or tell you what pulleys were replaced? Did they tell you anything that I can point Breeze at to tell them what to do to fix it?

Thanks,

Jez
ill ask and see what they say

Back