Engine whine 204 manual

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
engine has developed a bearing whine. Sounds like could be the alternator clutch pulley or maybe the power steering pump. Its not a turbo whine as I can hear it before the turbos spool up. 28000 miles done. Not had the cam belt and water pump done yet. Could be that? Anyone any pointers?

Video won't upload You can hear it as soon as I rev up.

Last edited:
update for anyone interested, i removed the auxiliary belt this mnorning and the noise is still there. so now booked in to VW for a cambelt and waterpump plus tensioners. the auxialiary belt is frayed so having that and tensioner also swapped out.

update for anyone interested, i removed the auxiliary belt this mnorning and the noise is still there. so now booked in to VW for a cambelt and waterpump plus tensioners. the auxialiary belt is frayed so having that and tensioner also swapped out.
I assume you are out of warranty as the recommended time for cam belt/ waterpump is 4 years. I imagine they should be able to tell by using a stethoscope. Good luck and hopefully it won’t cost too much.

I don't know if applies to your van, but mine recently had a recall for something to do with the cam belt. I'm not sure what the potential problem was but they removed the covers for an inspection.

I don't know if applies to your van, but mine recently had a recall for something to do with the cam belt. I'm not sure what the potential problem was but they removed the covers for an inspection.
cheers. i'll mention that when i drop it off. booked in on the 28th. and yes i'm out of warranty

Not 100% sure but seem to recall a problem with some T6's and the Auxiliary belt/pulley. You might get some contribution from VW if there was. Depends on how helpful your Dealer is but worth mentioning.

Not 100% sure but seem to recall a problem with some T6's and the Auxiliary belt/pulley. You might get some contribution from VW if there was. Depends on how helpful your Dealer is but worth mentioning.
There was definitely a recall on the T5.1 180 for the Auxiliary belt and tensioner. I don’t recall or have found anything relating to the T6.

The auxiliary belt has frayed on the outer edge on the back of the belt. So somethings going on there with that. I will mention all this on the day. Its vw sheffield. Hopefully with the fit bird at reception still

The auxiliary belt has frayed on the outer edge on the back of the belt. So somethings going on there with that. I will mention all this on the day. Its vw sheffield. Hopefully with the fit bird at reception still
Is it worth trying for the All-in warranty & servicing package now? especially if they say there is nothing wrong to protect you going forward.

Is it worth trying for the All-in warranty & servicing package now? especially if they say there is nothing wrong to protect you going forward.
I've no idea mate. I'm on a 2016 plate. 3yr warranty is long gone. I've generally been servicing and fixing it myself upto this point. The cambelt is beyond my capabilities with my tool collection and
i thought to say that vw had done it would be good on the service records.i reckon in future though I can change out the auxiliary belt alternator etc myself.

I had the aux belt tensioner changed on MY18 (150) it was making a squeaking noise.
Done under warranty but I think that it’s a known issue.

may be worth a squiz at the T6 forum.

edit

I had the aux belt tensioner changed on MY18 (150) it was making a squeaking noise.

may be worth a squiz at the T6 forum.

edit
Its not a squeak . It's more of a whine. Like a whirring noise.

Its not a squeak . It's more of a whine. Like a whirring noise.
I couldn’t tell from the Vid you posted, but if the belt is frayed that could be causing the frayed bits to make a noise.

the danger is if the aux belt goes it can take out the timing belt !

post and update when you get to the bottom of it, if you would please.

edit ; just seen post #3 !

ditto on ours