Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine worning Limp mode

Deano

Deano

Hi I'm new to the forum, But I'm having problems.
I've had my Cali from new it's a 2008 130hp. In January it lost power with dashboard warnings saying ENGINE FAULT WORKSHOP. and the yellow coil light came on and it when into limp mode.I took it to the garage they pluged it in and no fault found.They drove it for 3 days and the problem didn't occur again then gave me a bill for £200. However it's now happed around 50 times, and I just turn the engine ignition off, then turn it on again and the lights still illuminated.Turn it off again and it clears, all is well until the next time.
It seems to happen when the engine is under pressure ie: going up hill between 2500/3000 revs.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any thoughts would be greatly welcomed.

Deano

Hi Deano and welcome
I have read someware that sticking turbo vanes can cause the engine to go into limp mode
I will try and find out a bit more. :thumb

Thank you for your quick reply. I may not look at the forum until Monday next week as I've only just got back from Cornwall tonight.and I've got to go to South Africa tomorrow until Monday. But hopefully you may shine some light on my little pride & Joy.
Thanks Deano

That'll be A five pot 2.5 then? Check N75 valve and associated bits first.

You beat me to it seb. Sounds like the n75 valve :thumb

Thanks Chaps, I am assuming that Breeze VW will know what a N75 valve is.

Deano

Is the 130 a 5 Cylinder?

If it has a Variable Vane Turbo then your symptoms sound indicative of sticking vanes as mentioned above.

If that is the case then you can have it cleaned but it's not the best solution. VW won't mess around the'll just tell you it needs a new Turbo.

The limp mode is normally as a result of an over boost under acceleration, your resolution of turning off the ignition clears the limp mode until the next time.

Does sound like the turbo is overboosting. We will happily clean the turbo for you, but won't guarentee it. It's about two hours labour plus the kit to do the clean. Did one last week and customer has reported that it has been perfect.

Give me a call or PM if you want me to get a definate price for you.

cheers

Alex,

Is the cleaning an approved method now or just something your garage takes on?

Is there a proper kit or do you just mean some parts you use? Is it done with the turbo in situ or removed and stripped? 2 hours seems very quick.

Could be a good money saver.

Stu said:
Alex,

Is the cleaning an approved method now or just something your garage takes on?

Is there a proper kit or do you just mean some parts you use? Is it done with the turbo in situ or removed and stripped? 2 hours seems very quick.

Could be a good money saver.

Hi Stu,

It is not a VW cleaning kit. the cleaning is done in situ so no turbo removal, only exhaust and turbo pipe on the turbo are removed.

With a new turbo you obviously get two years unlimited mileage warranty, but with the cleaning kit we don't offer a guarentee that it will work as we cannot, but it is a lot lot cheaper than fitting a new turbo and always an option to consider at about a fifthe of the cost of a new turbo.

cheers

Thanks Alex.

Gotta be worth a punt I would think, my only concern would be the interaction with the cleaning agent and bearing seals, I'm guessing it's some sort of acid solution for quick cleaning.

I've cleaned VNT turbo's myself and it's not a glamorous job by any stretch of imagination so being able to do it in situ is a boon.

Re: Engine warning Limp mode

Sorry for the late reply, We have been in France for 6 weeks 3500 carefree miles, only to be hit up the back 2 miles from home the next morning by a drunk driver, How unlucky is that. But the police were great and she is insured and not to much damage.
But thank you to everyone who posted, After replacing the N75 valve we still had the same problem as I found out on the way home from the garage.
Next day the van was put up on the ramps as it turned out to be the DP filter. £2,100.Not a cheap part for a van that has only done 36,000 miles.Apparently not uncommon on the Cali as they are not being driven every day for 100's of miles at a time you get a build up of soot. But my" Puff" is still my pride and joy.
So the moral of the story is, If your Limp mode comes on, on your van it may be an expensive week.Now were home I hope to participate on the forum a bit more.
Thanks again for the advice.

Deano

Deano,

If the original problem was the DPF then I'm surprised the first garage could not find a stored fault code unless there was a long period between you first seeing it, clearing it and then taking it to the dealers (some faults can clear after a number of drive cycles but it takes time). And if they had correctly diagnosed the fault then I would think you'd have not had to stump up for a new DPF as I'll try to explain below. I'm assuming it was a VW garage you used.

For those that don't already know the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) collects and stores soot particles from the exhaust. When the DPF becomes clogged it will go through a regeneration cycle whereby it increases the exhaust gas temperature (by putting more fuel in) to burn off the soot in the DPF. The ECU will monitor the inlet and outlet pressures of the DPF and calculate the pressure differential to ascertain the level of soot loading in the DPF.

DPF problems are generally limited to the ECU not being able to achieve a full or sufficent regeneration in the normal manner (often due to driving conditions) and then will illuminate the warning on the dash. If you were then to consult the owners manual it would tell you the you should drive at a medium engine speed for a period (above 40mph at 2000-2500rpm for 10-15 Mins) which has the effect of assisting in increasing the exhaust gas temperature and achieving a full regeneration and hopefully clearing the warning on the dash.

If you don't manage to achieve this then the next stage is that the ECU will trigger limp mode and you need to either go to VW or use the RAC (VW Techs) to force a regeneration using the diagnostic tool. This can only be done if certain conditions are met which relate to the quantity of soot stored in the DPF which is displayed on the diagnostic tool. If the level of soot is too high then there is a danger of the van catching fire as some pretty serious temperatures can be seen so the DPF must be replaced.

So I'm afraid it would appear that your continued use of the van with the fault in place was your undoing and lead to the bill for a new DPF. I would however suggest that you may have been a little let down by your previous workshop visit.

Something else that is common of vehicles of around 2008/2009 is the DPF pressure sensor can fail and this, if not corrected, will also cause the problems above.

Thanks Stu, Yes you know your stuff, yes you are right the 1st visit to Breeze Southampton said no Fault found when plugged in. They said it must have been a faulty sensor. It was 4 months before it happened again as I hardly used the van late last year and when I did I can not remember driving at high rev's. 2500/3000 " this is when it would go into Limp mode". It was only when in Devon/Cornwall in March/April and a few more hill's to deal with that it started happening regulary
that I called the AA out to have a look. Result no fault found.
I then took the van back to Breeze Southampton where they could not find the fault.
So after posting on the forum I decided to speak to VW head office they persuaded me to go to Breeze in Poole.And the fault was found. So from my experience I would advise people not to go to Southampton, but Poole were brilliant, The Mechanic Martin and service manager Sean were exceptional. I know for next time, when the garage tells you it could be a faulty warning light. To challenge it, or ask on the forum.

Many thanks again Deano

Surpsied that there were no faults at the first place, but it can happen. Was the £2,100 for the DPF fitted? Presumably your vehicle is also out of warranty?

Cheers

The £2,100 was fitted with some other seals and bits that were damaged. VW are going to arrange a 25% refund as the van is not long out of warranty, that I need to sort out.

Dean

Hi I'm new to the forum, But I'm having problems.
I've had my Cali from new it's a 2008 130hp. In January it lost power with dashboard warnings saying ENGINE FAULT WORKSHOP. and the yellow coil light came on and it when into limp mode.I took it to the garage they pluged it in and no fault found.They drove it for 3 days and the problem didn't occur again then gave me a bill for £200. However it's now happed around 50 times, and I just turn the engine ignition off, then turn it on again and the lights still illuminated.Turn it off again and it clears, all is well until the next time.
It seems to happen when the engine is under pressure ie: going up hill between 2500/3000 revs.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any thoughts would be greatly welcomed.

Deano
Chipping in a slight deviation hope that’s cool -I’ve had similar issue - the limp mode - engine light comes on and the low oil light also illuminated - I topped up oil but not difference wondered could the oil pressure sensor be the fault? Any thoughts Wellcome

Back