Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Enjoying the NC500

Mullaghroe

Mullaghroe

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
After a false start in 2019, (midge phobia), we're half way through the NC500 anti-clockwise and loving it. Currently at the beautiful Sango Sands in Durness, we're travelling with my brother-in -law and his wife in 2 Californias and we're in good company with plenty of other Calis en route. Its definitely colder than we anticipated, but nothing good clothing can't overcome and enjoying some of the most stunning scenery with the West coast, (and Hebrides), still to come. Taking our time, we left Inverness , (Torvean), 5 days ago via Brora, (CAMC site), Wick, ( Wick Riverside community site), Kyle of Tongue, (top showers) before the short trip to Sango Sands arriving in time to secure a great sea view in beautiful sunshine. The nearby zip wire is definitely fun and good value at only £15.

PXL_20230502_094303596.jpgPXL_20230501_123832266.jpgPXL_20230501_140208767.jpg

Not quite on the NC, but the Lochinver Larder in . . . Lochinver . . does fantastic pies/pasties. Clachtoll Beach campsite is wonderful (just up the road).

Enjoy - I did it on a motorbike last year (clockwise though) and it's ace. If you're at Durness, the best is yet to come . . .

If you are golfers the 9 hole course at Durness is well worth a visit. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

After a false start in 2019, (midge phobia), we're half way through the NC500 anti-clockwise and loving it. Currently at the beautiful Sango Sands in Durness, we're travelling with my brother-in -law and his wife in 2 Californias and we're in good company with plenty of other Calis en route. Its definitely colder than we anticipated, but nothing good clothing can't overcome and enjoying some of the most stunning scenery with the West coast, (and Hebrides), still to come. Taking our time, we left Inverness , (Torvean), 5 days ago via Brora, (CAMC site), Wick, ( Wick Riverside community site), Kyle of Tongue, (top showers) before the short trip to Sango Sands arriving in time to secure a great sea view in beautiful sunshine. The nearby zip wire is definitely fun and good value at only £15.

View attachment 107954View attachment 107955View attachment 107956
Where is next?

We live in NE Scotland and have only been back to NC500 campsites or wild camp spots once since it became in a thing in 2018?
We found it just too busy compared the pre NC500 marketing campaign. Places and roads were so quiet.
It’s been great for businesses but not for us :)

We live in NE Scotland and have only been back to NC500 campsites or wild camp spots once since it became in a thing in 2018?
We found it just too busy compared the pre NC500 marketing campaign. Places and roads were so quiet.
We haven‘t set out to do the NC500, just touring the northwest, but we’ve probably covered 2/3rds of the NC500 route. We started mid April, from south to north, and now winding our way south through the Cairngorms. We’ve been pleasantly surprised how quiet the roads have been (we‘re quite used to Cornwall / Devon / Norfolk this time of year, and there’s a big contrast on traffic). The other thing we’ve experienced is the further north (Wester Ross and Caithness) the better the roads are - comparing to Skye /Applecross where the potholes are shocking - even on the A roads. Also, each site we’ve stayed at there’s been plenty of spare pitches. Guessing this might change once further into May. The weather has also been amazing! We’d certainly come up here again at this time of year.

It's the classic flipside to tourism and how it becomes difficult to manage; don't advertise and unless the area has a steady and self-sufficient industry to support the residents and maintain the economy, it will struggle. Advertise and you risk it going from "some" tourists (ideal) to "loads" (not ideal), especially somewhere like the NW Highlands where winters can be quite harsh so tourism levels will drop to a very low level, meaning infrastructure/businesses need to gear up to the summer surge but are then dormant during winter.

FWIW I was first introduced to the area (more specifically Wester Ross and Sutherland) over 30 years ago so I can hand-on-heart claim I wasn't drawn in by the advertising campaign. :)

We’ve noticed many English accents from people running shops, coffee shops and tourist attractions. Talked to a few who have said they moved up to the highlands a couple of years ago for a change of lifestyle, and jobs were available. So maybe it’s having a positive impact in repopulating the area?

deskman-in-schotland.jpg

Been here before (2017 and 2019) and noticed a hefty increase in NO OVERNIGHT PARKING signs. This is quite understandable if all the stories about the high season are true (and I don't doubt they are).

applecross-signs.jpeg

View attachment 107954View attachment 107955View attachment 107956
Good stuff! We have done it in both directions and Sango Sands is one of my favourite campsites. Visit Smoo Cave, just down the road. We did the Outer Hebrides last Autumn - one of my favourite trips ever. Make sure you include the Applecross Pass.

20210517_170248.jpg

20210518_104141.jpg

Image1.jpg

Last edited:
If your liking NC500 then give WAW (Ireland West Coast) a try. May or September are best and be warned we've done 3 x 2 week trips and only got half way so far, there is so much scenery to look at.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

If your liking NC500 then give WAW (Ireland West Coast) a try. May or September are best and be warned we've done 3 x 2 week trips and only got half way so far, there is so much scenery to look at.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Never been to Ireland but I will give a go.

Thanks

View attachment 107975

Been here before (2017 and 2019) and noticed a hefty increase in NO OVERNIGHT PARKING signs. This is quite understandable if all the stories about the high season are true (and I don't doubt they are).

View attachment 107976

Not just confined to the NC500.
This is happening in every corner of the country. We’ve returned to spots we once used to find signs like this, or even worse. ANPR cameras…:confused:

The top picture looks stunning …:thumb

Never been to Ireland but I will give a go.

Thanks
WAW is like the nc500 bigger quieter and even more amazing!!!
Can be very windy, hunting down the sign/markers is great fun. If you have kids there stop offs to collect stamps in a passport thing.
Loophead light house was one of my fav spots, watching the dophlins from the cliffs with them not not knowing beat any tourist boat trip.
Also worth exploring inland if you like the mountains, Errigal and Mangerton were amazing hikes

Not just confined to the NC500.
This is happening in every corner of the country. We’ve returned to spots we once used to find signs like this, or even worse. ANPR cameras…:confused:

The top picture looks stunning …:thumb
I'm not into driving the NC500 and try to avoid all but a few top-ten spots. And I certainly noticed a lot more fences and signs. The most friendly one said: no camping - this site is overused.

I also noticed a lot more campers on the road, even in May. And mostly big rentals. It gets harder and harder to travel unnoticed and not feel yourself 'part of the problem'.

Just back ourselves, and some of the signs are eye-opening... in the fact they had to be created, seems a lot of people cannot control their lavatorial urges even in ruined castles! There are plenty of public toilets around the route, and even there there are signs to not dispose of yur chemical toilets!

Whilst the NC500 is a great enabler to encourage people to explore we found the "other" roads in the Highlands far more relaxing, off the beaten track and free of tourists like us.

Don't get me started on Skye!

We did the western half and the outer Hebrides in late October a few years back, pre covid. As it happened, the weather was fine and clear for the most part and the roads almost empty. Being that late in the year, there was no midges, no hassle and no stress. Whilst the weather can't be guaranteed, I can thoroughly recommend doing it at that time of year.

Just one note of caution though. We were warned by a seasoned local delivery driver that late October is the rutting season and driving at night carries an extra risk. Indeed, we noticed numerous signs of very bloody collisions between beast and vehicle where both parties involved must have been written off.

Not quite on the NC, but the Lochinver Larder in . . . Lochinver . . does fantastic pies/pasties. Clachtoll Beach campsite is wonderful (just up the road).

Enjoy - I did it on a motorbike last year (clockwise though) and it's ace. If you're at Durness, the best is yet to come . . .
Cheers. I agree. Made it on to Ullapool yesterday. Great campsite next to town centre on the Loch. Lover the langoustines at the Sea Shack and music at the The Arch.

Cheers. I agree. Made it on to Ullapool yesterday. Great campsite next to town centre on the Loch. Lover the langoustines at the Sea Shack and music at the The Arch.
If you've not already passed it (or seen it anyway), the Falls Of Measach are worth a stop. It's a 15 minute walk round-trip from the layby car park and jaw-dropping if you don't know what's in store for you (and if you don't, just trust me, park up and walk down!).

Don't get me started on Skye!
Skye should probably demolish the bridge or put a 2-meter bar over it.

Go to the fairy pools and take a look at the 500-car parking lot. Visit google maps satellite image and scroll back a few years. And examine all the worn-out trails. Same with fairy glen and old man of Storr.

It is overused. And by now damaged beyond repair. Like Venice, Easter Island, Svalbard: overused and not blaming anyone in particular

So I did not visit these 'instagrammable' places but that's not helping the situation very much or solving any of these problems.

IMG_6215.jpeg

Skye should probably demolish the bridge or put a 2-meter bar over it.

Go to the fairy pools and take a look at the 500-car parking lot. Visit google maps satellite image and scroll back a few years. And examine all the worn-out trails. Same with fairy glen and old man of Storr.

It is overused. And by now damaged beyond repair. Like Venice, Easter Island, Svalbard: overused and not blaming anyone in particular

So I did not visit these 'instagrammable' places but that's not helping the situation very much or solving any of these problems.

View attachment 108047
We went up to the Old Man of Storr a few years back in October. Parking was along the road then, but it was not busy at all, misty, rainy etc. Now there is a big, Pay, car park. We didn't actally see the Old Man until we were very close. Look at the tiny figures next to it.

20171008_161718.jpg

Last edited:
If you've not already passed it (or seen it anyway), the Falls Of Measach are worth a stop. It's a 15 minute walk round-trip from the layby car park and jaw-dropping if you don't know what's in store for you (and if you don't, just trust me, park up and walk down!).
Thanks. We did stop and I agree it's not to be missed. The National Trust has just opened a visitor centre, (Corrieshalloch Gorge), making it easier to find. We're overnight in Gairloch Holiday Park, (Very good) and enjoyed the museum developed from a Cold War bunker.

If you plan to eat at the Applecross Inn ensure to book - saw a few turned away the weekend we were there