Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ESP sensor change on T5 2004 2,5 TDI 174

N

Nimbus3oz

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Can anybody help; I have ESP light permanently on, went to VW dealer in Toledo, they say the ESP sensor is faulty. They could fix it for Eur 1200...! I have found the same sensor in Ebay for twenty Euros, but would like to get some advice if possible. Where is the sensor located...I believe somewhere under the dashboard, above the floor....someone has a bit better idea where to look for it? And is there any special advice how to change, or is it just straightforward removal and placing the new one, plug the cable in?
Million thanks...Eric

I think we need more info.
ESP uses wheel sensors and other sensors to sense wheel spin and lateral movement.
combined, the data is used by the ABS unit to control the braking.
So without more information about what your dealer has diagnosed, it will be difficult to advise.

At that price it will be the Duosensor, main unit. Had mine replaced at a garage with a new VW supplied one. Yes plenty on ebay which are second hand or refurbished. I didnt see it done but was told it was below the carpet, central (as in between the 2 front seats) and then forward (which is why you describe it as below dashboard). I am fairly sure the mechanic needed to loosen the front seats to move carpets. He billed me for 4 hours labour but I think that included some time and trouble getting the correct part. The unit is an easy swap once you locate and access it, bolt down and plug in. Presumably then need to sort out fault codes?

Mine is 2006 2.5 174.

Attachments

• 20210122_093939.jpg
    20210122_093939.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210122_093928.jpg
    20210122_093928.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210122_093913.jpg
    20210122_093913.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 3
Can anybody help; I have ESP light permanently on, went to VW dealer in Toledo, they say the ESP sensor is faulty. They could fix it for Eur 1200...! I have found the same sensor in Ebay for twenty Euros, but would like to get some advice if possible. Where is the sensor located...I believe somewhere under the dashboard, above the floor....someone has a bit better idea where to look for it? And is there any special advice how to change, or is it just straightforward removal and placing the new one, plug the cable in?
Million thanks...Eric
At that price it will be the Duosensor, main unit. Had mine replaced at a garage with a new VW supplied one. Yes plenty on ebay which are second hand or refurbished. I didnt see it done but was told it was below the carpet, central (as in between the 2 front seats) and then forward (which is why you describe it as below dashboard). I am fairly sure the mechanic needed to loosen the front seats to move carpets. He billed me for 4 hours labour but I think that included some time and trouble getting the correct part. The unit is an easy swap once you locate and access it, bolt down and plug in. Presumably then need to sort out fault codes?
Apparantly the most common cause of ESP failure, in the absence of ASB sensor failure, is the ASB Pump/Control unit. These can be replaced or refurbished.
1200€ would be the approximate price for replacement of this unit.

vwsween and Welshgas, thanks a lot for the advice! Yes the VW dealer also gave the same part number, 7H0907655. They said it is the sensor, so that is all I know...I hope they diagnosed it right. I haven't yet got the bill for the investigation...but 4 hours sounds a lot I hope it will be less. Going to pick up the car today, and will order the sensor from Ebay. Will keep you posted.

Loz thanks as well, the dealer said it is the main sensor, hopefully they were right and the ESP light will disappear when the Duosensor is changed

If by investigation, you mean diagnosing the problem, that is a 10 minute job linking to a computer. The 4 hours was accessing and replacing the unit but I have no idea how long it really took.

Back