Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Essential accessories for a new California

P

Pamela

Guest User
We are about to take delivery of our T6 Ocean (ordered Jan 29). It's all very exciting. I'd love to know what essentials you all think we should have before setting off on our first trip. So far we have seat covers and a bike rack. I'm thinking midge nets, levelling ramps, mattress topper, hook up cable, water supply hose, gas canister. I'm sure there are many more things we should take and would be grateful for any advice. Thanks!

It is easy to buy things you will never use.After a few trips we slimmed down what is in the van.Our van is a daily drive all stuff on board all the time{Just add clothes bedding and ready for the off) Most used items we have folding kettle lives in sink, good set of stacking cooking pans.(fit into each other).We never use ramps but many would disagree with this.

Hi and welcome
When I bought my Cali 2nd hand, it was already stocked with some useful items as the ramps (we use them seldom), hook up cable (we use that very often), inside extra blinds and portapotti (very useful tonhave one however not used often till now). As @Meoncoast wrote: it is easy to.... So we only add kettle and food and try to slim down our stuff. We use our Cali as a weekend/holiday vehicle so everything can stay in the van anyway.
Have fun shopping!

We have just been thru that, or we are not quite finished yet :) But maybe you can find a few things in my latest post about our California journey.

Differend protectors are for instance a good idea, besides seatcover – bumberprotector and workshop foil. Also consider a compact barbecue (COBB og Safari) and something to secure the awning in wind conditions. If you are out in the rain, many keep their awning out, to keep a dry zone in front of the car.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/in-shock-and-very-sad-….13797/page-5#post-153006

Hi Pamela, and welcome!

Your post had me thinking. Eighteen months on from getting our van, what would we now look at and think we couldn't do without?

Here's my initial list:

• Hookup Cable
  • Roof Bungee
  • Quechua popup shelter (been essential, especially at festivals)
  • Mattress for downstairs bed (we've got a Duvalay)
  • Roof topper
That's probably it, aside from the usual camping stuff (pots, pan's, water carrier etc)

Should confess, we also recently acquired a Khyam drive away awning which is great for longer trips, but the Quechua still remains our favourite.

Hope you get your Cali soon :thumb

We are about to take delivery of our T6 Ocean (ordered Jan 29). It's all very exciting. I'd love to know what essentials you all think we should have before setting off on our first trip. So far we have seat covers and a bike rack. I'm thinking midge nets, levelling ramps, mattress topper, hook up cable, water supply hose, gas canister. I'm sure there are many more things we should take and would be grateful for any advice. Thanks!
Forum Shop Starter Pack and then see how you go.

I think the only essentials are: hookup cable, gas, kettle, cutlery, plates, food, drink. Some method of getting water into the tank is also pretty useful, but this could be as simple as a water bottle.

The rest will be down to preference:
If you are going to sleep downstairs then a topper is pretty essential.
We have levelling ramps, and used them when we first got the van, but never do now - just sleep with our head at the high end!

We live without a roof topper, a roof bungee and a toilet.

You didn't mention how many of you there are, but we have 2 adults, 2 kids and often a dog, so an awning is essential, but if it is just 2 adults then you should be fine without. Seat covers were essential for us due to the kids and dog as well.

Most things in the Brandrup catalog are not essential, but are very desirable :)

Seat covers turned out the most valuable extra.

My tool kit
Two hook up cables in different lenghts
10m flat hose, easier to compact
Slim 2 socket extension cable
Roof Bungee
12volt tyre pump
Dyson hand held hoover to keep her clean and suck air out of storage bags
Curtains for awning
Flower vase for table!!!
2 pots and 1 flat grill
Electric flat grill for outside grilling and accordian table for it to sit on
Espresso machine
6 dogs
Hop over to Cali.eu when you have an uninterrupted hour where your husband is gone. Look very slowly through an EXCELLENT site for little things that make the limited space of a Beach or Cali go further. We travel with 6 dogs and their tutt plus a cage which sits permanently on the back shelf. I HAVE to make every little cubic inch work. Plus, and you will see this particularly on the continent, a sort of a one upmanship of who has what. Now, i am not offended by this, i think it's a bit of fun - well, after all , when we drive the Starship ZuliCampi onto a site, that is enough to make people standup and stare. And when we hop onto the bikes with the dogs, we are videoed.

20160515_134759.jpg

View attachment 20160514_222823.jpg

20160322_155748.jpg

20150620_142622.jpg

20150714_173425.jpg

Oops, forgot one picture. This is at Camping Alfacs right on the beach by the Ebro Delta in Spain last May. Highly recommended.

One thing that hasn't been specifically mentioned is the lock for the spare wheel which you can get from the club when you get the bungee which is a necessity. Hook up cable and some way of getting water into the tank, we have the blue hose with quick connector but then you also need the male bit that fits on the tap as most taps at campsites we've used don't have have them.
The beds are too firm for comfort, whilst the roof bed is not that bad it needs something to soften it, we use an opened out sleeping bag which is enough for us. Downstairs seems harder and really needs some form of topper.
We have the roof topper which is very good and useful even when it's not raining as it keeps the roof space warmer and darker.

Mistakes we've made so far!
We stayed at Shell Island and it's hard to find a flat site so we bought some ramps only to find they were too narrow for the wide tyres fitted to the Cali so, if being level is important you really need to get very wide (big) ramps
If you want to carpet the living space you will need to get one that goes between the runners in the floor, otherwise the seat drawer won't open :headbang
We bought a 160mm steamer, thinking that a small size would be enough and take less space for storage, but the gas flames came up round the pan and got the handles very hot so we now have a 180mm steamer.

Hi and welcome! We had the same questions when we bought our Cali - have a look at the thread Newbie Essentials as we were given loads of useful tips. Don't buy everything at once! Our initial purchases were waterproof seat covers, not pretty but with two children (and occasionally careless parents) they have already paid for themselves; carpets - warm, homely and protective; electric hook-up; water carrier/hose to fill up the water tank; milton tablets to sterilise the water system before first use; fire extinguisher.
The advice on the boxes that fit the boot was great - especially for short trips. For longer trips we'll switch to vacusacs. We've survived quite a number of trips without a mattress topper, but a double sleeping bag does give some comfort. What for us became essential was the roof topper from Comfortz and the thermal windscreen cover and these are fantastic. We haven't bought a bungee and have been okay so far - obviously one lowering the roof while someone else walks around to check it. Fridge thermometer also useful (buy from VW shop).
Oh, there was one poor buy - the Khazi loo. It takes up too much space and husband flatly refuses to put it in! He may have to think again after our trip to France and the lack of loo seats! Also, I think the Vax Gator is a great, cheap little hoover, and it's worked well. But we need something more powerful and a hoover with a hose to take air out of the vacusacs. So we've gone for a Dyson handheld.

I agree. The good thing about a co detector is you can use it in the house as well as the van and even take it when staying elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Due to concerns about scratching the lovely glass worktops, I produced a worktop protector kit, rather like large mobile phone screen protectors. We have subsequently sold many kits to British and European California owners on here and via ebay.

We find the worktops a lot more useable with the protectors in place, as you do not have to be cautious when putting metal of porcelain objects on them.

There are lots of reviews etc on the following link:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/worktop-protection.11605/page-10

Fitting instructions (video) are also on youtube (search VW California worktop protectors)

Our little girl is happier now as well as she doesn't get told to "STOP banging things on the glass tops" anymore and I can relax a little!

Kind regards,

Andrew.

My tool kit
Two hook up cables in different lenghts
10m flat hose, easier to compact
Slim 2 socket extension cable
Roof Bungee
12volt tyre pump
Dyson hand held hoover to keep her clean and suck air out of storage bags
Curtains for awning
Flower vase for table!!!
2 pots and 1 flat grill
Electric flat grill for outside grilling and accordian table for it to sit on
Espresso machine
6 dogs
Hop over to Cali.eu when you have an uninterrupted hour where your husband is gone. Look very slowly through an EXCELLENT site for little things that make the limited space of a Beach or Cali go further. We travel with 6 dogs and their tutt plus a cage which sits permanently on the back shelf. I HAVE to make every little cubic inch work. Plus, and you will see this particularly on the continent, a sort of a one upmanship of who has what. Now, i am not offended by this, i think it's a bit of fun - well, after all , when we drive the Starship ZuliCampi onto a site, that is enough to make people standup and stare. And when we hop onto the bikes with the dogs, we are videoed.

View attachment 14590

View attachment 14591

View attachment 14592

View attachment 14593

View attachment 14594
Where do you stash the nespresso machine when you aren't using it? We'd love to find space for ours as we miss it when we're away and the coffee grinds drive me mad!

Why take the chance? It costs almost nothing and takes 1 minute to fit.

Also another boring but sensible essential is a CO detector.

Was having this discussion with another Cali owner recently who didn't have a bungee...like all these things, there are personal preferences. .

Wheel levels were always important for gas fridges because if they werent level they wouldn't get cold.

Compressor based fridges although recommended to be used level aren't as sensitive to not being flat as a gas/absorbtion fridge. They are a must on our old T25s but we don't bother with the Cali generally. As others we just have out heads up hill and we are fine. More space for my numerous coffee devices.

Where do you stash the nespresso machine when you aren't using it? We'd love to find space for ours as we miss it when we're away and the coffee grinds drive me mad!
I have the counter top lined (look very closely under the espresso machine and you will see a hot pink cushion type mat normally for use in a kitchen sink so as not to break crystal glasses when washing up. When the counter top is in use during cooking, obviously these mats go on the bench seat as does the espresso machine). I use it where it is, as shown in the picture and the Kitchen Aid small electric kettle is brought out and sits on top of cushioned counter top. I just recently hauled out of the rafters in the garage, an accordion little folding table that we have had for yonks. The top accordions together and the support/legs are concertinaed so that this amazing little table ends up quite small and fits under the shelf in the back in its own little carry bag (look at it on Ebay: Folding Aluminium Frame Slatted Top Camping Table - Silver.) So I can either put the electric grill on it when preparing breakfast (eggs, bacon etc) or I could sit in on the table. Last summer enroute down to the house in Spain, we stayed at Camping Blanes (just over the French/Spanish border between Girona and Barcelona, again highly recommended) and we were surrounded by Dutch and Germans, coffee lovers all. I fired her up, they heard the unmistakable roar and came over to investigate. I spied them coming and when they peaked through the window, I handed them coffee. They were bowled over! This is what I mean, it is just wonderful the friendliness we find on these campsites. HEADS UP: Tomorrow, 23 June at Aldis they are featuring foldable squares for ground cover. I forgot to mention get a ground cover to lie at the side door entry. We have a Kampa ground cover and it's worth its weight in gold, helps keep the sand etc out of the van. Sits on top of the dog cage. I have just put into Zulicampi the new little shelf as featured in Cali.eu that goes up top by the reading lamp. I held my breath and yes, the roof closed without a problem. How very clever!!!! One VERY vital addition is Archies App for smartphones. My smartphone provider is Three UK and I have unlimited roaming in England AND the continent. I can find campsites quite quickly and easily; however, during high season, one must make reservations. Outside school holidays, it is a lot easier. We also belong to ACSI and it is worth it when camping in low season, not high. However, I prefer Archies App to theirs. If you have any further questions, please ask the forum. An incredible amount of information is on this wonderful site. One more thing, I do recommend getting a dashcam. Granny Jen's story last summer convinced me never to leave home without one.

Wow, thanks very much folks. My list is growing but I'm going to try to keep it to a minimum for the first while until we see. I will hold off on the ramps just now. I'll work on it over the next couple of days and let you know how I get on. Cheers!

Just picked ours up and already found that a small washing up sponge is perfect to stop the table rattling when driving :thumb