Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

1. NEXT CLUB MEETS
    Derbyshire Afternoon Meet - 30th March Details Here
    Gloucester Weekend Meet - 17-19 May Details Here

Dismiss Notice

EU membership poll

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by MarkVw2017, Feb 18, 2019.

?

HOW WOULD YOU NOW VOTE TO BE A MEMBER OF THE EU?

1. Remain

144 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Theresa May's Deal

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. Leave with No deal

37 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. T6 CFO

T6 CFO Mike Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Like having another referendum

Going on for a while yet I’m afraid. This is just the start.

Mike

2. Amarillo

Amarillo Tom Top Poster VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Having another referendum would be doing the same thing over again.

A third May’s Deal vote is doing the same thing over and over again.

Einstein was careful with his choice of words.

3. Joker 1299

Joker 1299 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    Not quite, Tom. Not if you count the seventies referendum which voted join.

4. Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    Yep this is going to run and run now. I bet this thread will still be going when we're arguing about the merits of the warp drive motor and dilithium crystals on the T8 Cali.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. RodCouncil

RodCouncil A Brit in Sweden VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    Overtaking roof corrosion thread

6. Gary&Heather

Gary&Heather VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Well at least one day it may well be all over and then we can get on with collecting our benefits because we won't have any jobs.

7. GrannyJen

GrannyJen goody goody 2shoes Moderator Top Poster Lifetime VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    It's not quite up to the stellar postings of the original Brexit thread :D

8. Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    No it's all been quite polite, which is very nice. Actually I think most of us have had enough of arguing, we just want it to end.

I have found some of the perspectives interesting, and even if I don't agree, it's a spur to looking at things from a different angle.

For the record, where I'm at now is that there should be a 12 month extension to Art 50, and a general election in May. But: "A week is a long time in politics"... never a truer word.

• I Like That! I Like That! x 2
  9. GrannyJen

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Yes, I too am detecting a certain amount of war-weariness,

The problem with a 12 month extension would be the need to participate in the Euro elections ...

From my own personal view I was a 55-45 % remainer, not totally convinced either way, and quite appalled by the behaviour of much of the "Brexit" wing in parliament.

The democratic majority in the referendum was also to leave and that should be abided by, but we now have the situation that the elected representatives of the democratic majority have decided the deal to leave is unacceptable, leaving without a deal is unacceptable, demonstrating no ability whatsoever to articulate what deal they would find acceptable and now assuming that the elected leaders of 27 other countries would allow us to stay just a little bit longer, which I find amazingly arrogant.

• I Agree I Agree x 3
    • I Like That! I Like That! x 1
  10. Amarillo

Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Good ideas in the pro-Remain Economist this week, but they did illustrate how Brussels might react to a request to extend Article 50 with this:
    [​IMG]

If a long extension is granted, it points out a final irony: "British voters may, for the first time, pay attention to European elections." Both the centrist The Independent Group and the extremist UKIP could be expected to perform well.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. T6 CFO

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    As an aside I’m still wondering why more voters who were committed to remain didn’t vote Lib Dem.
    Vote between 2015 and 2017 went down from 7.9% to 7.5%

I see Vince is off in May.

Mike

12. RodCouncil

RodCouncil A Brit in Sweden VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    Where did you find the ratios of leave and remain from the LD voters?

I could understand why their overal share would go down after being toxified by Cameron and co

13. Romke

Romke Making the Most of our Coast VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Coast 150 4Motion
    Year:
    (A voice from the continent.) I don't get all this blablah. Brits had the binary choice between "stay in" and "get out". The "get out" option was unconditional; there was no talk about negotiations at the time of the referendum, let alone about the expected deal. So stop moaning, get out the hard way and get on with your life!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
  14. T6 CFO

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Figures are the share of the vote in the last 2 elections. As last election called by May was all about Brexit and Lib Dem’s were the main party standing on a remain basis it was odd.
    Yes no doubt the whole coalition toxified them.

Mike

15. MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    I do agree with this slightly. I do belive the uncertainty of it all is really affecting thr uk and the businesses, so i feel we really should leave on the 29th and believe the no deal option, which isnt tht best but certainly will not be the end of the world. Mays deal is not popular or what leave voters voted for. Its a leave created soley by May with NO input from the people of the uk what so ever. We can easily carry on working with the eu when we leave (were not leaving europe) and will always have close connections with the eu, even after no deal, it would also allow us then to really start making deals elesewhere as well and allow us then to move forward rather than stuck in limbo as the current situation, is the cliff edge people keep warning about. No deal will affect big businesses, and of course they want to remain, its easy and profitable for them, strangles competition from other around the world trying to get in the uk market, but mark my word, if they go, there be some UK entrepreneurs and other companies round the world to take there place! And as for we will have food on the shelves or limited drugs for the NHS after no deal is absolute nonsense.

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  16. Digger

Digger VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Agree. The problem is a political class, who like your own, is perhaps too detached and arrogant. Life goes on and I am big enough to stand on my own two feet and get on with it.

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  17. GrannyJen

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    I have had a lot of personal concerns recently :sad

Ever since I volunteered to be an Alzheimers research guinea pig I have had quite an education on the first signs of cognitive impairment, such as repeating oneself frequently. Not helpful when I now find myself repeating 10 times a day the same thing...

"you couldn't make it up". :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member Lifetime VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    What some don’t understand is that the Only Deal, besides a No Deal Exit, is the Deal agreed by the EU.
    Jeremy C keeps going on about the Deal he wants but unless it is acceptable to all 27 Countries he has no deal.

I like the idea of 0% tariffs on all normal, historical, movement of goods from Ireland into N.Ireland.
    If the Government of Ireland wish to put tariffs on goods going the other way then that’s upto them. They can build the Custom Posts and provide the security.
    Yes N.Ireland goods would be more expensive in Ireland but they could send them to Wales or England instead to replace the Irish goods being exported to the U.K. via Wales and England, directly from Ireland, which will attract WTO tariffs and thus be more expensive.

19. Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    I don't think the govt has any intention of that particular proposal being feasible or actually implemented, it's already been dismissed as a "smugglers' charter". I assume it's just an attempt to put the fear of God into the DUP and ERG to keep them on-side until next week when May attempts to brings her dead horse back to the Commons again (that horse may or may not actually be dead but we won't know until next week, so maybe it's Schrodinger's Horse).

20. Amarillo

Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Remove May's red lines and there are a massive array of deals that would be acceptable to the EU.

If you want to leave and you want to honour the Good Friday Agreement and you don't want a border in the Irish Sea, you will need a customs union with the EU and a court to oversee that customs union.