eu Passport Stamp

J

Jester

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Morning all,

I will be traveling to Spain Shortly and I understand that I need to have my Passport stamped on entry to a eu country and exiting. I expect it to be stamped at the port of entry ie Bilbao, is it also stamped at the port of exit at customs.

Thanks in advance.

It was at the aiport heading to Barca recently so no reason why not at a port.

Morning all,

I will be traveling to Spain Shortly and I understand that I need to have my Passport stamped on entry to a eu country and exiting. I expect it to be stamped at the port of entry ie Bilbao, is it also stamped at the port of exit at customs.

Thanks in advance.
Getting it stamped at exit is vital, if you don't it looks like you've exceeded your 90 days & will cause problems next time you try to enter.

Greece this summer = stamped in & out. As Andy says it’s your proof when you entered and Exited the country and the cumulative EU travel day etc.

I'm resident in Spain, recently travelled to UK via Dover.
No stamp on entry, with proof of residence.
They stamped it on leaving without my realising, though. Hope that doesn't cause a problem next time (likely January)

I'm resident in Spain, recently travelled to UK via Dover.
No stamp on entry, with proof of residence.
They stamped it on leaving without my realising, though. Hope that doesn't cause a problem next time (likely January)
Keep a copy of your travel documents/ booking from entry crossing last time just in case you are questioned at POE. On next entry

Yes, now we must queue to have passports stamped as we enter and leave the EU as we now only have the right to stay there for a limited time .......... and, of course, we now queue to re-enter Britain as every passport is now scrutinised on our return. Together, this frequently adds some hours to journey times, particularly at peak periods. However, it may not be as bad as it looks. If we accept that queueing is a British tradition, the "problem" can be reframed, and suddenly it becomes a Brexit Opportunity!

Morning all,

Thanks in advance.
Passport stamping is well organised at Bilbao and Santander. Gets stamped on the way in and the way out without any problems.

Passport stamping is well organised at Bilbao and Santander. Gets stamped on the way in and the way out without any problems.
Great reply.
Fantastic nothing to worry about then. Ashore at Bilbao and exiting via Santander

Last edited:
Yes, now we must queue to have passports stamped as we enter and leave the EU as we now only have the right to stay there for a limited time .......... and, of course, we now queue to re-enter Britain as every passport is now scrutinised on our return. Together, this frequently adds some hours to journey times, particularly at peak periods. However, it may not be as bad as it looks. If we accept that queueing is a British tradition, the "problem" can be reframed, and suddenly it becomes a Brexit Opportunity!
Thanks Steve.

Great reply.
Fantastic nothing to worry about then. Ashore at Bilbao and exerting Santander
That is the same as we are doing this time. In the spring we went into Santander and out of Bilbao. We prefer Bilbao as from there it is a shorter journey to our final destination than from Santander. On return we like to stay in the same hotel in Bilbao only 10mins form the port. The winter timetable and timing since the introduction of the new ships has made us rethink. The early morning ferry from Bilbao was ideal. In May as the ferry was later in the day we stayed in Calahorra instead of Bilbao. It worked OK but needed to allow more time to get to the port. Not sure it will suit when we have to leave from Santander as the journey from there maybe too long and the sailing is an hour earlier than in May.

We do not like the road from Bilbao to Santander but better than risking snow from Burgos to Santander.

Great reply.
Fantastic nothing to worry about then. Ashore at Bilbao and exiting via Santander
We travelled to Cherbourg out and back in June. No delays with passport stamping in or out.

Ha ha ha! That made me laugh out loud!
Thanks Steve

We travelled into France and got stamped. On exit we didn’t get stamped.
85 days later we arrived in Madeira where they refused to let us in for a weeks holiday as it would take us over our 90 day limit.

Fast talking, photos, booking references for Eurotunnel did they trick and they let us back into the EU.

Queue is a perfect word, the first letter gets all the attention and the other four wait patiently in line. :)

Travelled to Poland (highly recommended) and visited 7 countries this summer. Literally < 5 mins for border checks and stamp at Dover on way out, and < 15 mins at Calais on return. No other border checks at all. After all the scare stories we arrived at Dover 2 hours early so had plenty of time for a relaxed breakfast in the van. Other than checking our passports were stamped, in and out, this trip was no different to those of the halcyon days of EU membership.

This sort of Daily Mail style comment detracts from the otherwise useful contributions you used to make to the forum, which is a pity.
? What's the Daily Mail?
Everyone leaving the EU has their Passport stamped if not an EU citizen I presume, or is that not correct?

In my village there are a lot of pensioners like @WelshGas , they a fundamentally lovely people, generous, kind and benevolent.

Except for a handful of issues, the EU, European countries, Macron and people who are migrating to the uk, oh, and people who are ‘woke’ whatever the hell that means. . In these cases they’re absolutely hate filled!

In conversation it always transpires that there either read a telegraph, express or similar, or they admire Farage or listen to times radio. They won’t agree that they’ve been trained to hate, they are just responding to the fact they have been drip fed.

Best just to see the best in people I reckon including @WelshGas who as you say is fantastically generous on this forum.

There are no regulated methods for seeking asylum in the UK, none! And doing so isn’t unlawful.
But leaving the EU without passing through Passport Control is. Try it.
And please don't lump me in with your friends and relatives etc.
I'm more than happy to stay in the EEU, European Economic Union, just not in a Europen Union that wants to be a Federalist State .

Illegals? How can people be illegal?

Try looking up the dictionary definition of an illegal - according to the Cambridge dictionary its someone who has entered the country without governments permission.

There are no regulated methods for seeking asylum in the UK, none!
Yes there are there's a whole section on the government website on how to do it.

And doing so isn’t unlawful.
Entering the Uk is unlawful if done without the governments permission.

But leaving the EU without passing through Passport Control is. Try it.
And please don't lump me in with your friends and relatives etc.
I'm more than happy to stay in the EEU, European Economic Union, just not in a Europen Union that wants to be a Federalist State .
For God's sake, we can probably do without another debate on Brexit, but I have to ask, and this is a serious question, can anyone give a list of tangible benefits that we have acquired since leaving?

For God's sake, we can probably do without another debate on Brexit, but I have to ask, and this is a serious question, can anyone give a list of tangible benefits that we have acquired since leaving?
Yes, please do, someone - it would be reassuring. But I'm not holding my breath.

Back