Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eureka...Using Folding Table from the sliding door inside the camper...or not

Wrinkly Ninja

Wrinkly Ninja

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hello all :help

I have a 2017 Ocean (which I love to pieces)

Reading the California Supplement booklet it says on page 41 that you can use the folding table from the sliding door inside as well as outside. This would be very handy as it would provide a larger dining area, particularly for 4 people. Using the work table is abit of a stretch from the rotated front seats.

The booklet says to "pull the table guides - Fig 44 (3) out fully and connect to the guide rails on the side panel opposite the sliding door inserting them into the groove in the rail"

Unfortunately I dont have any form of "Table guides" other than the fixed ones that allow the table legs to be extended.

Before I approach a dealer can anyone advise me...Have I got a faulty table or have VW ceased making them with this capability? :thanks

I can only speak for the T5 but mine does indeed have two pull out pieces that slot into the rail on my Beach and I understand there is similar on the kitchen unit on the SE/Ocean.

I have them on my T6 Beach also..... I think I've heard others report on here, that not included on the Oceans sliding-door table.

The guides aren't available to purchase separately, they only come with the table. :(

However, a Beach table and an Ocean table will both fit in each-others sliding-door.

Using the work table is abit of a stretch from the rotated front seats.

Agreed, we have to slide the table forward, and then the back seat forward, to allow all of us to eat in comfort. Can feel an evening of head-scratching coming on!

Reading the California Supplement booklet it says on page 41 that you can use the folding table from the sliding door inside as well as outside. This would be very handy as it would provide a larger dining area, particularly for 4 people. Using the work table is abit of a stretch from the rotated front seats.

The booklet says to "pull the table guides - Fig 44 (3) out fully and connect to the guide rails on the side panel opposite the sliding door inserting them into the groove in the rail"

Unfortunately I dont have any form of "Table guides" other than the fixed ones that allow the table legs to be extended.

Before I approach a dealer can anyone advise me...Have I got a faulty table or have VW ceased making them with this capability? :thanks
Hi we are also struggling with this so will read about your progress with much interest. Good luck!!

I have them on my T6 Beach also..... I think I've heard others report on here, that not included on the Oceans sliding-door table.

The guides aren't available to purchase separately, they only come with the table. :(

However, a Beach table and an Ocean table will both fit in each-others sliding-door.
You can buy the parts for the guides, as I have purchased some but Im not sure the part to attach them to the table are available.

You can buy the parts for the guides, as I have purchased some but Im not sure the part to attach them to the table are available.

I would think that as it is only a year old I should be able to get a new replacement table under warranty with the table guides in place..

Correct, I should have clarified it's the bit that's riveted to the table underside that isn't available.

This bit:

497586C5-6D8E-4607-86D3-25FE75914C0E-15891-00000BD774030A55_zps2951e1bc.jpg

The ocean table doesn't connect to the kitchen unit, on early SEs it did, but they made the table legs shorter on later models so the clips would be the wrong height. The beach still comes with the longer legged table with the attachment clips for the side rail.

There is nothing at all to stop you using the table freestanding inside the van.

Correct, I should have clarified it's the bit that's riveted to the table underside that isn't available.

This bit:

View attachment 30942

The ocean table doesn't connect to the kitchen unit, on early SEs it did, but they made the table legs shorter on later models so the clips would be the wrong height. The beach still comes with the longer legged table with the attachment clips for the side rail.

There is nothing at all to stop you using the table freestanding inside the van.

True..but as it showed it in the supplement I felt it would give more stability, especially with 4 people seated around it.

I have just spoken with a dealer salesman who checked the brand new Ocean they have in the showroom...and it has the extending rails!

The other advantage is you only need two table legs down - the clips support the other side & leave better access for the under sink cupboards.

Perhaps they've reverted back to the long legged version? The shorter legs make the table a better height for using outside with the supplied chairs.

You can always slide the back seat forwards at mealtimes.

Or go the pub! :D

The other advantage is you only need two table legs down - the clips support the other side & leave better access for the under sink cupboards.

Perhaps they've reverted back to the long legged version? The shorter legs make the table a better height for using outside with the supplied chairs.

Agree completely about the previous table being too tall for outside. I hired an earlier model before buying and the table height was much too high...especially for my wife.
Have just set the table up freestanding inside and it is indeed about 4 to 5 cms below the level of the rail groove where the cooker is.
All in all I prefer the lower height of the table I have for outside and will use it freestanding inside.

At least this discussion has given me a solution I hadn't really thought of to the problem of the work table being too small for eating at from opposite sides. Thanks for the help.

We always wondered why the outside table was too high for the chairs.

Has anybody done anything to lower this table? eg cutting the legs down? Somewhat reluctant to do this, but I'd value advice.

It's not the table thats to high in fact the table is lower than the standard height a table should be , the Cali chairs are to low ....
Bigger chairs won't fit the tailgate storage .

That's a point - maybe we just need to get some thick cushions

That's a point - maybe we just need to get some thick cushions

Wow! Lightbulb moment for me! I have a couple of pillows that travel on the rear seat, tucked into the seatbelts (rarely anyone in the back). Why have a i naver thought of using thse on the chairs when sitting at the outside table!!!!

:thanks

The section in the owners manual that you quoted refers to the Beach model. The Beach table in the sliding door has extra clips that the SE/Ocean does not. The Beach table can be attached to the alluminium rail just below the window on the near side(UK) or can be used as a free standing table in the Cali.

It sounds like you need a Beach. :thumb

Hello, please can someone tell.me.where I can buy the guides that slide into the rail on the BEACH. Just snapped mine off trying to put the table away after 1st use with the kids jumping around!!! DOH...... THANKS in advance

Hello, please can someone tell.me.where I can buy the guides that slide into the rail on the BEACH. Just snapped mine off trying to put the table away after 1st use with the kids jumping around!!! DOH...... THANKS in advance
Vw sell them. I have a part number somewhere for them. I'll have a look when I get home. At work now.... Groan

Back