Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Europe trip

H

hughie 1

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello everyone, this is my first post ,so here goes. Off on first euro trip in Cali with wife and two dogs mid June for six weeks taking in France ,Belgium ,Luxembourg,Italy,Slovenia,Croatia, Austria and Germany.Any advice on must see places and good campsites would be nice, also will i need winter clothing up in the mountains ?.

Hello everyone, this is my first post ,so here goes. Off on first euro trip in Cali with wife and two dogs mid June for six weeks taking in France ,Belgium ,Luxembourg, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Austria and Germany. Any advice on must see places and good campsites would be nice, also will i need winter clothing up in the mountains ?.

We are going on the 10th of June for Three weeks, two couples in two identical Cali's (except the colour). Nurburgring (Eifel national park) Stuttgart Porsche/Mercedes museum. Black Forest, Lucerne, Interlaken, Train up to the Jungfrau. down to Italy. Nothing panned just chase the sun

Welcome , don't plan to much , go with the flow and the weather....

Hello everyone, this is my first post ,so here goes. Off on first euro trip in Cali with wife and two dogs mid June for six weeks taking in France ,Belgium ,Luxembourg,Italy,Slovenia,Croatia, Austria and Germany.Any advice on must see places and good campsites would be nice, also will i need winter clothing up in the mountains ?.
Winter clothing I the mountains,,,,,o yes
We have had snow in July. Mountain weather can change quickly and dramatically . Be prepared

We're making our way slowly back after 3 weeks mainly in Austria, Slovenia and Croatia.

It's been very quiet on campsites but things are starting to get busier. A ongst other palaces we've stayed at the Konigssee Camping Muhllleiten. Family run, very clean, great walks and the restaurant over the road was very good. We did the Eagle's Nest from there. Amazing views of the Alps.

The the Grundlsee, another family run site, very clean and some fantastic walking. There are a few Gasthofs around. I put some photos on the view from/of your van thread.

Finally in Austria stayed at Leibnitz just before the Slovenian border. Another great site. Brand new facilities, spotless and very large pitches. Looked as though you also had free use of the !ocal outdoor pool. The town was also nice and laid back.

Then we did Ljubljana. The site in Ljubljana is dreadful, very scruffy but Ljubljana itself is a great little city. Thousands of cafes and bars.

We then stayed at the campsite near Postonja, can't remember the name but hidden away in the woods. Again spotlessly clean and bizarrely full of French motorhomes. Everywhere else it's been Germans, Austrians and is course locals and a smattering of Dutch. The castle is worth driving to.

Then into Slovenia - another spotless site and brand new. More like a 5 star hotel with its own beach and loads of recliners. Restaurant good and pretty cheap. Prices have just gone up but they were €12 a night for the pitch. Take a look at the facilities on their website - Val Saline at Rovinj. Rovinj is a!so probably one of the nicer places on the coast.

We went further south but are now back in Slovenia at Camp Vrhpolje on previous recommendations from the Slovenia Croatia thread. Very different to where we've been. There's a ladder up against the cherry tree for you to pick your own and we were welcomed with a carafe of home grown wine.

Next stop the Dolomites before returning to Blighty for voting day.

Hope you can find the sites from the descriptions, let me know otherwise and I'll put some links in. We'll document the whole trip when we get back.

Thanks though to previous posters for some of the tips.

PS go to Rothenburg ob der Taube. Amazing mediaeval town as well as some great walking and or biking.

Last edited:
Back