Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)
  1. Next Club Meets

Dorset Meet - 28th Sep - More Details Here
    Shop Open Day/Camping - 10th Nov - More Details Here
    Dismiss Notice

european breakdown cover

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by steve_h, Jul 11, 2018.

1. steve_h

steve_h VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T4 PopTop
    Year:
    Chaps

I have just bought a 2001 call and trying to find cover for a trip to Spain lots of breakdown companies don't offer cover for this age

any advise welcome

Steve

2. Max-Felix

Max-Felix VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    Simple! There are two no brainer accounts that every EU visiting Cali owner should have:

1. Nationwide Flex Plus account. Full worldwide family travel insurance, full EU and UK breakdown cover for the holder on *any* vehicle he/she is in, also gives 3% on balances and mobile phone insurance etc. £13 a month.

2. Halifax Clarity credit card. By far the best/cheapest way to spend Euros.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. steve_h

steve_h VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T4 PopTop
    Year:
    Thanks Max. May be better than I have now

4. Max-Felix

Max-Felix VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    Just to explain in a bit more detail why they are both essential IMHO for anyone going out of the UK:

The Flex Plus is well worth having as an additional current account and doing the maths on it (typically the cost of breakdown and medical cover for the family for a week or so would cost more than this does the whole year) and the cover is very good in all aspects - plus you can have a max £2500 at 3% held in there which gets you back £75 if you have that balance in for the year so it works out at £80 or so for all the coverage for the whole year for any trips you make in any car.

Halifax Clarity gives you 0% commission/zero admin fees on purchases in foreign currency (also handy if buying Cali accessories from Germany etc!) plus you get the international Mastercard rates (ie the top 'business' exchange rate) not the typical tourist rate. And even though it is a credit card so you pay interest on cash withdrawals it still works out best to get cash overseas as again no commission and you can just transfer money in from another UK current account via mobile banking to cover it straight after. Even if you delay you pay only around 10p a day on a £200 withdrawal before this is done. And I promise I don't work for them but apply before end Aug, use if for a foreign purchase before end Sep and they are currently paying cashback of £20 if you do this.

5. SimonB

SimonB Staff Member VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    If you are a member of the C&CC they have a deal with the RAC for cheaper breakdown cover which extends onto the campsite, etc. I got this when the AA refused to cover a camper I had some years ago despite the fact that I hadn't had any breakdowns with them, ever.
    Certainly worth a comparison with other companies. It was the home to campsite cover that I liked.

Simon

6. iamchucky

iamchucky VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Thanks Max - Has anyone had to use the Flexplus Breakdown cover for a Cali? Just wondering what level of service is like - especially European?

7. mrcheesbrough

mrcheesbrough

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T4 PopTop
    Year:
    Safeguard Motorhome Insurance offer Full AA European breakdown cover as part of the policy. Covers vehicles upto 20 years old. Unlimited mileage etc etc. Worth a look if you haven't committed to anyone yet. Or may your existing insurance can offer a similar 'add-on' to your policy.

8. steve_h

steve_h VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T4 PopTop
    Year:
    is there anyone can translate this from German and let me know if this is good breakdown cover?

it seems very good value at €84 a year we will be based in Spain and I think we would be covered

https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac-membership/

ADAC Plus membership: worldwide coverage
    Your personal ADAC plan

if you click join now it takes you to a page with details in PDF

Steve

9. mrcheesbrough

mrcheesbrough

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T4 PopTop
    Year:
    https://translate.google.com/m/translate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. mrcheesbrough

mrcheesbrough

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T4 PopTop
    Year:
  11. stephen watson

stephen watson

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    The couple on the blog ourtour highly recommend ADAC but they say it now requires you have a German home address. Not checked this myself. I'll probably go for the nationwide account when the van guarantee expires. Worth mentioning that the free nationwide current account includes free European personal travel insurance.

12. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    Check the Terms & Conditions for “ Free “ Travel or Breakdown Insurance. Often significant exclusions regarding Medical Conditions, Vehicle age and type/weight etc: Can suit some, but it’s “Free” or included for a reason. Just check carefully.

13. Guy/Louise

Guy/Louise Life is for living.... VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    Caravan and motor home club have a thing with green flag, includes trailers which the RAC and AA don’t... as I found out to my cost!!

14. s2bear

s2bear VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 4Motion
    Year:
  15. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
  16. Alied

Alied VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Agree with you Max as I have both also.

17. s2bear

s2bear VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 4Motion
    Year:
  18. steve_h

steve_h VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T4 PopTop
    Year:
    Thanks for the replies

We will be resident in Spain in a few months so that will be our home address so for now I have gone for AA European to get me there.

When we get down there I will look again at at all Europe wide choices as we plan to travel extensively

Steve