Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

European road map

Bobbybus

Bobbybus

Learning how to be a hedonist...
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I have been trying to choose which to get but can't decide. What are your preferences and why? Hopefully I will be able to judge which will be best for me based on the answers I get. Ta.

I have been trying to choose which to get but can't decide. What are your preferences and why? Hopefully I will be able to judge which will be best for me based on the answers I get. Ta.
Hello Bobbybus, I like my gps/phone with "scout" and the Marco Polo Road Map
a077e247b1dbcc1ded2421015356f4cb.png

I like this one because it's great to have some maps with you (in paper) and to draw on it. Navigation is easier for me when I only have to turn the page rather than fold/unfold.

Maps.me on the tablet/phone is brilliant. Especially with new road layouts or just to check on the right turning (as in - I'm sure we're not right here...)

We do have some paper maps as well but they depend on whether we're driving through or mozeing around.

Hi Simon,

We use maps.me (from the Russian Mail.Ru Group in Moscow) for years now, and it's great for finding campsites. When we're in a region, I just let it search for the words campsite, camping or, in France, aire de camping. The screen is then blue dotted with campsites that you often do not find in other apps or books. You can even save these spots as a POI file in the map on your phone/tablet.
And you can reopen the POI file (in .kmz format) in another map or in Google Earth. (Unfortunately I cannot upload my kmz file of campings in Scotland, because the site of the club doesn't like kmz as an extension. Admin, is there a work around?)

Maps.me is, in my opinion, however not the best choice for giving turn-by-turn directions. The algorithm behind it is not very efficient, compared to TomTom or Garmin. It lets you take unnecessary back roads, sometimes doubling travel time, which of course is great if you're in Cali mood.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Maps.me on the tablet/phone is brilliant. Especially with new road layouts or just to check on the right turning (as in - I'm sure we're not right here...)

It seems maps.me is just using openstreetmap. I think Pocket Earth makes a much better job of displaying the same map data.

Thanks WG. I have a UK AA Road map which I like. Does it gave campsites marked?
Sorry no idea. My SatNav has over 32,000 Campsites as a POI, including Archie's, ASCI and Caravan Club UK and Europe sites. Have the same on my Garmin Basecamp software on my iMac to pre-plan if I wish.
The AA book is my backup.

Maps.me is, in my opinion, however not the best choice for giving turn-by-turn directions.

Hi, I didn't say I use it for turn by turn navigation - we use it when walking in cities or for footpaths (which aren't on Google) and as a 'where are we!' aid. We've never used a turn by turn navigation tool - I think we'd find it very distracting - old school, look at the map before you go and check on a paper map if you need to and if you're still unsure check position on maps.me. And as the BBC would say, there are other open source mapping tools available.