Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

European Travel and Tolls

K

Kalimera

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
New to travelling in Europe, looking for help and advice.
Planning to go (alone) to either Malaga (via Portugal) or to Greece (via Brindisi) in August. Away say 8 weeks.
Also thinking about buying a toll badge.
I have a new T6 Ocean, will have 2 windsurfing boards on top and one bike on the rear rack. Thanks.

Check viamichelin.com - gives you good idea of both total toll on your route as well guestimate on your diesel costs

If your French translation skills are up to the website and you have a fee free currency card, the aprr topeurop toll tag can cover France, Spain, Portugal and Italy and is less expensive in fees and currency conversion than the Emovis Tag which doesn’t do Italy.

I’d definitely consider a tag, especially if you’re travelling alone in a RHD vehicle.

If your French translation skills are up to the website and you have a fee free currency card, the aprr topeurop toll tag can cover France, Spain, Portugal and Italy and is less expensive in fees and currency conversion than the Emovis Tag which doesn’t do Italy.

I’d definitely consider a tag, especially if you’re travelling alone in a RHD vehicle.

You can also order your toll badge here: you only pay 2 eur in the month you use the tolls - you will need to pay for the badge in form of a deposit https://www.bipandgo.com/en/?gclid=...RC40lhLwF6TdkJ9BwS1U1i1W8j0UIl2xoCcNsQAvD_BwE

I use the tag in France and it's brilliantly convenient. Your windsurfers on the roof will take you over 2m and sometimes the toll radar puts you in to the more expensive class in error. I often carry a kayak and when this happens I correct the bill when I'm sent the invoice. It all works very well and the radar recognises my kayak 90% of the time.

I have a new T6 Ocean, will have 2 windsurfing boards on top and one bike on the rear rack.
In that case avoid the 30 km/h drive-through lanes on French and Spanish motorways. They have a 2m height limit. You wouldn't be the first to lose a board or decapitate a bike...

Hi @Kalimera
Sorry but I can't really help answer any of your questions. Assuming you head to Greece will you be heading to anywhere specific that you might reccomend? I've assumed that as you are carrying a wind surfing board it'll be coastal. Hopefully this post will not detract from your original questions.
Heading for Vassiliki on Lefkas. In August it’s like this: On shore force 2, from 10am, crosshore force 4 - 6 from 3 pm, could blow until 7pm. Planing winds about 90%. Flat water, good for blasting / freestyle. Safe for beginners. Camp site on beach, but it’s not in the high wind area, need to launch further upwind.

Heading for Vassiliki on Lefkas. In August it’s like this: On shore force 2, from 10am, crosshore force 4 - 6 from 3 pm, could blow until 7pm. Planing winds about 90%. Flat water, good for blasting / freestyle. Safe for beginners. Camp site on beach, but it’s not in the high wind area, need to launch further upwind.
We love Vassiliki - great seafood restaurant you can try out is Oceans. Also if there’s not much wind some nice cycling up to Sivros or over to Sivota.

We love Vassiliki - great seafood restaurant you can try out is Oceans. Also if there’s not much wind some nice cycling up to Sivros or over to Sivota.
I go every year for 3 to 4 weeks. Been going since 84. Used to fly. So I know the island well. Think I recognise your dog!

Thank you. With the help of Google translate, I think I have just ordered one. 11 euros. Some conflicting messages about whether they are actually shipping at the moment. I will report back if and when it arrives.

Ironically, we have no particular plans to travel in France, Spain, Italy or Portugal, but it pays to be be prepared and for £10 quid it seems a worthwhile investment.

Planning to go (alone) to either Malaga (via Portugal) or to Greece (via Brindisi) in August. Away say 8 weeks.
I have a new T6 Ocean, will have 2 windsurfing boards on top and one bike on the rear rack. Thanks.
I’d say that a toll tag is essential if you’re travelling alone because the payment window/machine is on the passenger side of the car. That would be a real hassle for you. I have a Liber-T tag from Sanef covering all French toll roads, it makes toll booths totally painless, no fumbling for change or credit cards. The Tag lanes are often less busy than the other lanes too. They also do tags for Spain and Portugal. Have a great trip.

Thank you. With the help of Google translate, I think I have just ordered one. 11 euros. Some conflicting messages about whether they are actually shipping at the moment. I will report back if and when it arrives.

Ironically, we have no particular plans to travel in France, Spain, Italy or Portugal, but it pays to be be prepared and for £10 quid it seems a worthwhile investment.
Thanks. My French is rusty, but half way there! Is that the TopEurop version for France, Spain Portugal Itsly and Portugal? I get that €25, 15 for the tag and 10 for being outside France?

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. Ready for some new adventures!

Check the entry requirements for Greece. Until August 1st they were not accepting ferries from foreign ports. Then relaxed the rules for cruise ships but didn't mention ferries. Also some confusion because it looks as though cargo has continued flowing, with much paperwork, but not tourists.
Cheapest route to Brindisi is via Belgium, Germany and then Switzerland where you pay for the road tax vignette but that includes free transit of most road tunnels and passes. The Chamonix tunnel (France-Italy) costs the same as the Swiss vignette but you pay autoroute tolls to get there. Italian Autostrada will cost lots whatever you do. Have you considered Ancona-Igoumenitsa? Saves the extended 'pleasure' of the Autostrada de Sol down to Brindisi and there are good connecting roads through Greece. Yassus.

Hi, just returned from a trip to Gibraltar (yesterday) , bought the ‘tags’ for France And Spain ...Calais Eurotunnel , LeMans, Tours, Bordeaux, and eventually Seville well worth the money, although the traffic was quiet they were good for the drive through payments.
Watch out for speeding in France I acquired a speeding fine of 45 Euros 95 km in a 90 km limit!

I have a Bip & Go which is excellent, although I do have a French bank account which I think makes it cheaper, but they were quite happy to ship the tag to my UK address.

Thanks. My French is rusty, but half way there! Is that the TopEurop version for France, Spain Portugal Itsly and Portugal? I get that €25, 15 for the tag and 10 for being outside France?

Re-reading the email, thanks Google, it looks like 22 Euro altogether. 11E for The gadget, plus 10E for delivery plus another 1E for something else. Frankly, I’m not entirely clear what’s coming, but seemed like a reasonable gamble, even if it just works in France. When I get it, I’ll get a club number to create an online account with which might reveal more.

Re-reading the email, thanks Google, it looks like 22 Euro altogether. 11E for The gadget, plus 10E for delivery plus another 1E for something else. Frankly, I’m not entirely clear what’s coming, but seemed like a reasonable gamble, even if it just works in France. When I get it, I’ll get a club number to create an online account with which might reveal more.

The toll tag arrived today. That allowed me to create an online account which was quite straightforward using Google translate. We are now set up for France, Spain, Portugal and Italy, and the only cost that has been debited to my card is £9.99.

IMG_0620.jpeg

Back