Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eurotunnel Cali Premium over car

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi all. I’ve just begrudgingly paid £567 for a Bobby basic eurotunnel crossing for Feb half term ‘25. (Yeah silly season but what can you do!?!?)

Now faced with booking a crossing for Christmas. Season I put my dates in and sure enough it was again the wrong side of £500.
It got me wondering- I changed the car details to LR Defender and the price came back at £388.

Seems the Cali premium being charged by Eurotunnel has now Rocketed to around £150 ish.

For the record in half term 2018 was £182, Christmas ‘23 was £353 and most of the recent crossings (3x a yr) have been £340 -350’area.

A bit galling seeing as we’re lower than many cars with roof boxes and shorter than discos / q7s etc

Would be interested to hear if anyone’s found any loopholes or discounts other than Tesco Clubcard Vouchers - the discount size of which is usually akin to putting a door ding in RMS Titanic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post brexit / covid tunnel prices have gone stupid.

its a real shame they didn't carry on with their frequent traveller programme £48 a crossing (£96 return and that used to include me towing a car transporter trailer!)

we find overnight Harwich to Hook of Holland is now cheaper than the tunnel :(

Ferry all the way for me. Granted the Tunnel is quicker but I just take the crossing as part of the holiday now and go on an afternoon or overnight crossing. Far cheaper and more relaxing IMO.

post brexit / covid tunnel prices have gone stupid.

its a real shame they didn't carry on with their frequent traveller programme £48 a crossing (£96 return and that used to include me towing a car transporter trailer!)

we find overnight Harwich to Hook of Holland is now cheaper than the tunnel :(

I was looking at ferries as we’ve done that before but driving to the alps is already quite far and I was knackered as the ferry added a lot to the journey. In theory you can rest on the ferry but in reality it’s like trying to nap at a kids party in a departure lounge.

Wonder how the biometric boarding is going to be

@s2bear what crossing times are you booking?
We're currently in France with a LWB TGE (6.8 metre) having come out on the 4th Sept and back to the UK tomorrow (4th Oct). Crossing outbound 16:20 and return 09:50, the total return trip cost was £301. That was reduced with Tesco vouchers etc.
I'm well aware that crossing day and time are crucial for a good price.
NOTE TO ALL!!!
If you are delayed crossing with LeShuttle it is always worth going to the LeShuttle complaints website and complaining.
Last year we were delayed four hours and received a £90 voucher valid for 12 months against future travel.
This we were delayed one hour and received a similar voucher for £40.
In the former instance the voucher was emailed to me before we arrived at Calais!

As far as I am aware Chunnel costs are based on vehicle length and height, as well as date and time of crossing. As the Cali is longer and taller than a car, I'm not overly shocked it costs more than a car. A 2024 Defender looks the same height but is shorter by about 60cm. Seems every cm counts. We have generally never paid more than 300 quid return though but we usually go out on a Thu and back on Mon or Tue.

I was looking at ferries as we’ve done that before but driving to the alps is already quite far and I was knackered as the ferry added a lot to the journey. In theory you can rest on the ferry but in reality it’s like trying to nap at a kids party in a departure lounge.

Wonder how the biometric boarding is going to be

Overnight Caen crossing is great - book a Cabin and you'll still be £150.00-£200 better off I reckon.
We can only travel in School holidays so I feel the pain of hiked prices.
Dinner on the boat, a couple of beers before bed, a restful night in a cabin and breakfast before we arrive. I'm ready to set off on the 9 hour drive.

Or save a bit and do an afternoon crossing arriving about 10:30pm, book a cheapish hotel and get an even better nights sleep.
Wouldn't go any other way.

Our skiing tunnel at Easter is £324 (last year £422). I think that is cheaper because Easter is later this year and I booked more in advance I think. Booked as a campervan.

I'm not surprised Feb half term is mega premium pricing, its more popular than Easter. I had a private skiing lesson this year and the chap said 'don't come in February, its crazy busy'.

Ten years ago, before we were tied to school hols, we could go in early or late summer for £175 return. I mean ten years inflation to £324 seems ok to me.

The only thing that changes the price dramatically is what time you travel - at least very transparent on website. I think booking a long way in advance also helps.

I always admit we're a camper but I've stopped ticking the bike rack option and nobody has queried that ever. They usually squeeze cars underneath it anyway.

Last edited:
Probably a gas risk/inspection surchage (ripoff) for campervans and motorhomes.

As far as I am aware Chunnel costs are based on vehicle length and height, as well as date and time of crossing. As the Cali is longer and taller than a car, I'm not overly shocked it costs more than a car. A 2024 Defender looks the same height but is shorter by about 60cm. Seems every cm counts. We have generally never paid more than 300 quid return though but we usually go out on a Thu and back on Mon or Tue.

I know it’s usually more than a car but I think they’ve whacked up the premium which I reckon used to be about £20 each way tops.

Consider this though:

Touareg same length (2mm shorter) .
Disco, Q7, Volvo V90 & XC90, Audi A6, Mercedes E class etc ALL longer than a Cali and if you book high for a Roofbox you pay for that anyway.

They ask but never check the gas is off.

I get that the holiday period crossings make it more expensive but there’s definitely been a bump in the Cali Premium.

For the record I’m outbound on a Friday at 22:20 and inbound 19:20 so busy-ish times too but they are the times I’ve ALWAYS travelled as we have school aged children so, I am comparing like for like pricing.

They can charge what they like of course, but I think 43% increase in 12 months (Oct-oct) is taking the Micky somewhat.

Hence my asking if I’m missing any tricks.

Our skiing tunnel at Easter is £324 (last year £422). I think that is cheaper because Easter is later this year and I booked more in advance I think. Booked as a campervan.

I'm not surprised Feb half term is mega premium pricing, its more popular than Easter. I had a private skiing lesson this year and the chap said 'don't come in February, its crazy busy'.

Ten years ago, before we were tied to school hols, we could go in early or late summer for £175 return. I mean ten years inflation to £324 seems ok to me.

The only thing that changes the price dramatically is what time you travel - at least very transparent on website. I think booking a long way in advance also helps.

I always admit we're a camper but I've stopped ticking the bike rack option and nobody has queried that ever. They usually squeeze cars underneath it anyway.

Yes half term isn’t the best time but it’s better than being at home not snowboarding . This has gone up 43% in 362 days, way beyond inflation. I guess the price of cleaning the toilets has added to the cost though … oh no, wait

It is what it is I guess. I need to shop at Tesco a bit more with my Amex to ease the pain.

Overnight Caen crossing is great - book a Cabin and you'll still be £150.00-£200 better off I reckon.
We can only travel in School holidays so I feel the pain of hiked prices.
Dinner on the boat, a couple of beers before bed, a restful night in a cabin and breakfast before we arrive. I'm ready to set off on the 9 hour drive.

Or save a bit and do an afternoon crossing arriving about 10:30pm, book a cheapish hotel and get an even better nights sleep.
Wouldn't go any other way.

I hear you and I’m no stranger to the overnight ferry’s - it’s a very relaxing experience. Half term is a shocker if you don’t get into the valley early enough though so this time the ferry wouldn’t do. Plus it was also more expensive … because it’s half term thanks though.

Starting to feel like I’m moaning about 1st world problems now. I was just flagging this to see if there were any tricks or discount / partner programs I was missing, other than Tesco Clubcard. Will look at the shareholder discount program too.

OK, so this gets interesting. Looks like if you own 750 shares of Getlink SE (€15.88 currently) you qualify for a 30% discount on 6 single / 3 return standard fare crossings per year. On top of that the stock currently yields 3.46% which if you bought 750 shares at this level would be €412 in dividends. Obviously you're taking on capital risk and I'm not advocating anyone do this - just pointing out what I've found on t'internet. You have to have owned the shares for 3 months for the benefits to kick in.

At current Cali crossing rates and 3 crossings per year the discount and the dividend could be worth €951. On that basis, the shares would have to drop to €14.61 for you to be down on the deal.

I'm just rambling now....

Last edited:
I know it’s usually more than a car but I think they’ve whacked up the premium which I reckon used to be about £20 each way tops.

Consider this though:

Disco, Q7, Volvo V90 & XC90, Audi A6, Mercedes E class etc ALL longer than a Cali and if you book high for a Roofbox you pay for that anyway.

I get that the holiday period crossings make it more expensive but there’s definitely been a bump in the Cali Premium.

For the record I’m outbound on a Friday at 22:20 and inbound 19:20 so busy-ish times too but they are the times I’ve ALWAYS travelled as we have school aged children so, I am comparing like for like pricing.

They can charge what they like of course, but I think 43% increase in 12 months (Oct-oct) is taking the Micky somewhat.

Well I can compare similar trips 2023 and 2024.

With a LWB High roof T6 (5.1m long), and booked very at short notice...
Outbound Folkstone to Calais Wednesday 16th August 2023
Return Calais to Folkstone Tuesday 12th September 2023
Total cost £300

With a LWB High roof MAN TGE (6.8m long) and booked on line 8th June 2024...
Outbound Folkstone to Calais Wednesday 4th September 2024 + 16:20
Return Calais to Folkstone Wednesday 4th October 2024 + 09:46
Total cost £301

The 2023 crossings would have been similar times as that's always out preference, overnight on a Aire within reasonable distance of Calais on the way out and time to drive up to the Midlands on the way home.

So maybe you are missing something! Note my vehicle has changed for one 1.7m longer but no higher for the 2024 crossing but the cost has only increased by £1.

Consider this though:

Not sure but they always check my gas and make me open the cover.

Starting to feel like I’m moaning about 1st world problems now. I was just flagging this to see if there were any tricks or discount / partner programs I was missing, other than Tesco Clubcard. Will look at the shareholder discount program too.

Additional. I get 10% off with one of the campsite memberships. Forget which one.

Back