Eurotunnel checkin tip

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Chaps,

We rocked up at check in on Sunday afternoon, early (imagine that?) assuming we'd simply hop on the next available train.

It's was pretty busy and, without giving it a second thought, we just joined the nearest queue.

This turned out to be a manned checkin as opposed to the automated alternative.

Given we were early, the operative issued us with an exit ticket and told us to come back in a hour!
Obvs we tried arguing.

So we drove around and out through the barrier then immediately back into a queue for an automated check in.
We successfully checked in for the next available train.

So, always go auto (assuming you've booked that is).

A very useful observation, thank you.

You were fortunate that they had resolved their signalling problems from the day before :sad

I turned up two hours early on the French side expecting to get on an earlier train and finally left 45 minutes later than my booked departure time :sad

Anyone know if you can overnight in the carpark. Often book the 1st train 0550 last time, and arrived 2 hrs beforehand for a coffee etc: and there were a number of motorhomes there with blinds drawn.

Going out early on Saturday morning. After a long drive down from Scotland, is it Cheaper to book in advance or just turn up ? Also what do you book on as a motor home or private van ?

Going out early on Saturday morning. After a long drive down from Scotland, is it Cheaper to book in advance or just turn up ? Also what do you book on as a motor home or private van ?

The check-in system on the eurotunnel website will recognise your registration as a camper van, unless you are a Beach.

When they asked me I said "of course I am a beach .... but what about my vehicle:shocked "

It recognises Beaches too GJ. No hiding for Calis.

Chaps,

We rocked up at check in on Sunday afternoon, early (imagine that?) assuming we'd simply hop on the next available train.

It's was pretty busy and, without giving it a second thought, we just joined the nearest queue.

Given we were early, the operative issued us with an exit ticket and told us to come back in a hour!
Obvs we tried arguing.

So we drove around and out through the barrier then immediately back into a queue for an automated check in.

Are they signposted for auto check in? First time through the tunnel this weekend and would like auto check in. Will actually be there the day before our booking so trying to get a much earlier train even though they are saying "sold out". Can we just turn up and try for a cancellation etc?

Are they signposted for auto check in? First time through the tunnel this weekend and would like auto check in. Will actually be there the day before our booking so trying to get a much earlier train even though they are saying "sold out". Can we just turn up and try for a cancellation etc?

Depends when you are travelling - dawn or late afternoon to France you would very likely find space, peak times ie 7am to 2pm out then you might have a loooonnnggg wait...

Depends when you are travelling - dawn or late afternoon to France you would very likely find space, peak times ie 7am to 2pm out then you might have a loooonnnggg wait...
Hmmm, booked on the 8.20am on Sunday but we can now get down to Dover by Saturday lunch so was wondering if we could get lucky with a cancellation/no show space. It will be a very busy Saturday though so what are the chances???? Slim to non existent or will we get something eventually?

TBH no one can say without a crystal ball! I cross the channel a lot and ET used to run like clockwork, last few years it's been anything but.

Spent Friday evening hitting the refresh button and managed to bag a cancellation. Currently waiting for our 13.06 departure. Yay!IMG_20170729_123048735_HDR.jpg

Chaps,

Obvs we tried arguing.

The system may have changed. We were booked ta half term coming back from Calais. Turned up more than two hours before and the automatic check in wouldn’t work. Then went to a manned check in. 15 mins later (you’d think nobody has ever tried to check in early judging by the woman’s reaction) she made us reverse out and wait until it was less than two hours to departure. Perhaps we were just unlucky but it all felt a bit petty to make us wait when it clearly wasn’t busy.

Back