Eurotunnel - Frequent Traveler

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Just a word of caution.

The price as shown for a batch of 10 journeys is £46* for a car per crossing.

The operative word here is CAR.

When booking trips, as soon as you enter “Campervan” in the vehicle type the price jumps by min £12. (£20 in some cases).

I failed to find anything quoting vehicle prices in the small print.

Obvs a deliberate scam but just factor this in if you’re considering this option.

Just a word of caution.

The price as shown for a batch of 10 journeys is £46* for a car per crossing.

The operative word here is CAR.

When booking trips, as soon as you enter “Campervan” in the vehicle type the price jumps by min £12. (£20 in some cases).

I failed to find anything quoting vehicle prices in the small print.

Obvs a deliberate scam but just factor this in if you’re considering this option.
Fortunately, a Beach doesn't fall under Eurotunnel's definition of a campervan:
=====
Campervan

Any vehicle which includes living accommodation (including (without limitation) seats, table, sleeping, cooking and storage facilities).
=====

Ah, finally we have an advantage to owning a Beach ;)

How do you book it in to ensure you get the rate? I am about to book for Denmark.
We book as a car over 1.85m high and leave registration number as blank/unknown.

How do you book it in to ensure you get the rate? I am about to book for Denmark.
In June we booked as a car over 1.85m, and ticked the box "I don't know my registration". At the terminal we went to a manned booth.

I don't know if this method would work with Eurotunnel's frequent spelunking program.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I booked over the phone, explaining the situ. They were fine with it. You get your standard booking confirmation email with a reference and password so you can then amend online if you wish, without going back to square one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We book as a car over 1.85m high and leave registration number as blank/unknown.
Well that was the assumption I came to however there is a line in the T+Cs that governs this exact get around effectively allowing Eurotunnel to cancel your booking if they decide your Campervan is actually exactly that, a Campervan.

Our recent experience of Eurotunnel hadn’t been good. It seems to us they’re really working to rule and not allowing any leeway on times.

We rocked up in June after the obligatory 2hr M25 related bollox and, despite the car park resembling a dessert, were told the next available crossing was 1-50am. This at 8pm!! WTF? The only way we were getting the next available train was by paying an extra £140. Hey presto, space on the next train.

Our conclusion was that they are trying to force people to buy Flexiplus.

Well that was the assumption I came to however there is a line in the T+Cs that governs this exact get around effectively allowing Eurotunnel to cancel your booking if they decide your Campervan is actually exactly that, a Campervan.

Our recent experience of Eurotunnel hadn’t been good. It seems to us they’re really working to rule and not allowing any leeway on times.

We rocked up in June after the obligatory 2hr M25 related bollox and, despite the car park resembling a dessert, were told the next available crossing was 1-50am. This at 8pm!! WTF? The only way we were getting the next available train was by paying an extra £140. Hey presto, space on the next train.

Our conclusion was that they are trying to force people to buy Flexiplus.
I will find out tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Hit and miss at the tunnel for us.
We got stuck on the 303 recently, called them to change our 20:50 crossing to 07:50
the next morning.
As it is a very busy time it will cost you Sir.
We rolled up late, the machine gave us the 01:50 crossing so i went into
the customer service office and the nice lady changed it to the 07:50
crossing for free.
It was a busy time alright, 2 fookin flix buses a 2cv6 and us.

They´ve always charged extra for the camper on the frequent deal, it was 11 quid
now 12 depending on the time of day you travel.

Hi,
Can only speak as I found.
I bought the frequent package at the beginning of `June for the 2 week break we have just had. I compared the price with surcharge for camper £12 each way and a supplement for not going at midnight. Outbound arrived with an hour before departure and was booked on the planned crossing, a small technical delay but otherwise all ok. Returned today and we were 1 1/2 hours ahead of booked time and it offered an earlier crossing. Some small delays (seems normal) and all good.
m25 was murder!

Overall I think all was as expected.

Cheers,
Ken

We have a California without the kitchen, and book the Eurotunnel flexiplus as a frequent traveller. The last 5 times I booked with reg unknown, and then just phoned them to say our reg. They ask if we have sleeping, I say no, and then it is fine. This time however the Eurotunnel person was giving me grief and telling me there is all sorts of safety rules for motor homes, even without any cooking facility. I looked up the DfT guidance, and he simply can not be right. If a motor home has to include at least cooking facilities, why do they not make that distinction on the Eurotunnel? I can only agree with the person above - they are trying to make more money out of us. But given that we already pay over the moon for Flexiplus, how much more do they need? I am taking a print out of the DfT guidance at least... really annoyed.

We have a California without the kitchen, and book the Eurotunnel flexiplus as a frequent traveller. The last 5 times I booked with reg unknown, and then just phoned them to say our reg. They ask if we have sleeping, I say no, and then it is fine. This time however the Eurotunnel person was giving me grief and telling me there is all sorts of safety rules for motor homes, even without any cooking facility. I looked up the DfT guidance, and he simply can not be right. If a motor home has to include at least cooking facilities, why do they not make that distinction on the Eurotunnel? I can only agree with the person above - they are trying to make more money out of us. But given that we already pay over the moon for Flexiplus, how much more do they need? I am taking a print out of the DfT guidance at least... really annoyed.
What does it say on your V5c?
Do you NOT carry any Gas or other flammable liquids in the vehicle over and above the Diesel?

Personally I don't see why you should be able to pick and choose when to use the V5c Vehicle Body type definition.

Why do you say you do not have "sleeping", surely you have a roof bed and a fold down rear seat that also makes a bed. If you carry any cooking equipment that uses gas cylinders that would also be pertinent to their safety concerns or am I just being pedantic about answers that are not "precise"?

I don’t think they’re charging for safety reasons, they’re charging because they can... maybe some justification because of extra weight. Only stipulation for gas for any vehicle is no more than 47kg slightly more than a Cali could take anyway ;-)

If it was safety surely they’d separate them from other vehicles but they don’t. The reality is a Cali will fit in the same car park space as a car. Smaller motor homes get stung with the bigger ones charges because the system isn’t clever enough.

Eurotunnel website states you have to have bed, table, sink and cooking facilities. If you don’t have all you aren’t a camper by their definition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think they’re charging for safety reasons, they’re charging because they can... maybe some justification because of extra weight. Only stipulation for gas for any vehicle is no more than 47kg slightly more than a Cali could take anyway ;-)

If it was safety surely they’d separate them from other vehicles but they don’t. The reality is a Cali will fit in the same car park space as a car. Smaller motor homes get stung with the bigger ones charges because the system isn’t clever enough.

Eurotunnel website states you have to have bed, table, sink and cooking facilities. If you don’t have all you aren’t a camper by their definition.

And when you use your Registration Number for booking they use the DVLA data to class the Beach as a "Motorcaravan". So who is correct?
DVLA or you?

And when you use your Registration Number for booking they use the DVLA data to class the Beach as a "Motorcaravan". So who is correct?
DVLA or you?

Wrong question.

We've done this before @WelshGas. Eurotunnel have their own very clear definition of a campervan, and the Beach does not fit that definition.

https://help.eurotunnel.com/hc/en-g...hat-vehicle-type-should-I-book-my-vehicle-as-

Eurotunnel's error is to have their own very clear definition of a campervan and then use DVLA's database to tell them if the body type is a "motorcaravan". Either they should respect their own definition, or they should advise bemused Beach owners that they will be using DVLA's database to inform them of body type to define a campervan.

So the answer to your wrong question is "neither, Eurotunnel are wrong."

DVLA or you?

Well, this is a bit of a murky area as we know. I have a Beach which I imported and requested the DVLA register as a motor caravan. DVLA registered it as an MPV instead, regardless. Probably as it does not have a PERMANENTLY fitted kitchen as per their definitions etc.

Without getting into all that DVLA malarkey, I booked online for my first 2 Eurotunnel crossings using my reg number without issue, that is to say that it classed me as an MPV and charged accordingly. Then, on my third crossing back in March, the website decided to class me as a motor caravan / camper and charge me more. I called and explained it was a Beach with no kitchen etc so Eurotunnel booked me over the phone as a car/MPV.

I don’t know what changed at Eurotunnel. I could speculate that they updated their system and the new database simply doesn’t differentiate between Cali Beaches or Oceans/SE. Eurotunnel didn’t argue at all, they accepted my explanation as though it wasn’t new to them.

If Eurotunnel use the DVLA database, they wouldn’t be charging me as a motor caravan.

I don’t see why a Beach should be charged less than an Ocean and I don’t see why an Ocean should be charged more than a Discovery or Mercedes GLS etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whatever way you look at it they are just another corporation he’ll bent on maximising profit.

There is zero evidence of investment. The on board toilets are nothing short of disgusting. Trains seem to get cancelled more often for no apparent reason and in our experience the customer service people couldn’t give a toss.

Wrong question.

We've done this before @WelshGas. Eurotunnel have their own very clear definition of a campervan, and the Beach does not fit that definition.

https://help.eurotunnel.com/hc/en-g...hat-vehicle-type-should-I-book-my-vehicle-as-

Eurotunnel's error is to have their own very clear definition of a campervan and then use DVLA's database to tell them if the body type is a "motorcaravan". Either they should respect their own definition, or they should advise bemused Beach owners that they will be using DVLA's database to inform them of body type to define a campervan.

So the answer to your wrong question is "neither, Eurotunnel are wrong."

Whichever way you look at it, the Beach is wrongly classified. As shown by @s2bear .
Also owners who answer No regarding to Eurotunnels definition are being very disingenuous.
Eurotunnel Definition.
Campervan/motorhome
Any vehicle which includes living accommodation (including (without limitation) seats, table, sleeping, cooking and storage facilities).

Nowhere does it say these facilities have to fixed, just included.

You have Living Accommodation, seats, a table, bed, storage facilities as well as a cooker, or were you carrying your Campingaz 907 around Europe as ballast and not sleeping in the vehicle or storing stuff under the bed?

So, :Iamsorry as far as I am concerned if you deny you have these facilities you are travelling illegally as a “ High Car “ .

@s2bear is the only owner, I know of, who can legally travel as a “ High Car “ using his Car Registration.
I would love to know how the Eurotunnel Insurance would treat a claim for damage to a Beach booked as a “High Car “.

Last edited:
The customer service people are a disgrace.

Two years ago I was verbally abused over an issue by one of the check in staff when my credit card used to make the reservation was not recognised by the automated check in system. The bloke who answered when I called for assistance basically called me a liar, insisted on telling me I wasn't who I said I was, refused to apologise for the language he used and told me to get voice lessons (laryngitis at the time making speaking clearly rather difficult).

In the end a supervisor was called, a quick look at my passport, drivers license, boarding pass issued and moved on. No apology. My later, written complaint was responded to in shameful fashion given that my Dash Cam recorded enough of the conversation for his abuse to be heard clearly.

The customer service people are a disgrace.

Two years ago I was verbally abused over an issue by one of the check in staff when my credit card used to make the reservation was not recognised by the automated check in system. The bloke who answered when I called for assistance basically called me a liar, insisted on telling me I wasn't who I said I was, refused to apologise for the language he used and told me to get voice lessons (laryngitis at the time making speaking clearly rather difficult).

In the end a supervisor was called, a quick look at my passport, drivers license, boarding pass issued and moved on. No apology. My later, written complaint was responded to in shameful fashion given that my Dash Cam recorded enough of the conversation for his abuse to be heard clearly.
Well done indeed!

So the dvla documents say we are a car.
Cars with big Gaz cylindeds are cars but have unregulated appliances.
Sounds like Looney tunes to me....

So, :Iamsorry as far as I am concerned if you deny you have these facilities you are travelling illegally as a “ High Car “ .
I'm not denying having those facilities, I'm denying my vehicle has those facilities. Fitting a couple of Vanessa window bags, and chucking in a gas stove the night before travelling does not convert my Beach from Eurotunnel's definition of a high car to Eurotunnel's definition of a campervan.

But just to set your mind at rest, I will email Eurotunnel customer services.

=====
Dear Sir/Madam,

I have a vehicle over 1.85m and have been reading your definition of a campervan/motorhome. "Any vehicle which includes living accommodation (including (without limitation) seats, table, sleeping, cooking and storage facilities)."

Clearly my vehicle has seats, and these can be converted into a bed, it also has a roof tent. It came equipped, as standard, with a removable table. However, it has no built in cooking or storage facilities (other than the glove compartment and underseat trays). If I take with me a camping stove and a some boxes for storage, does my vehicle become reclassified as a campervan/motorhome?

Yours Sincerely,
=====

I shall post their response.

Whichever way you look at it, the Beach is wrongly classified. As shown by @s2bear .
Also owners who answer No regarding to Eurotunnels definition are being very disingenuous.
Eurotunnel Definition.
Campervan/motorhome

Nowhere does it say these facilities have to fixed, just included.

You have Living Accommodation, seats, a table, bed, storage facilities as well as a cooker, or were you carrying your Campingaz 907 around Europe as ballast and not sleeping in the vehicle or storing stuff under the bed?

@s2bear is the only owner, I know of, who can legally travel as a “ High Car “ using his Car Registration.
I would love to know how the Eurotunnel Insurance would treat a claim for damage to a Beach booked as a “High Car “.

I should add that all 3 trips were snowboarding holidays so definitely no cooking facilities, permanently fixed or otherwise. Just luggage. Which doesn’t help make the situation any less of a grey area regarding this chat - however as I was honest and upfront with eurotunnel when booking (3rd trip on phone), it was left for them to decide.

I think the DVLA criteria is pretty clear. Eurotunnel’s policy is entirely up to them but its criteria is slightly ambiguous in that it does not mention the words ‘permanently fixed cooking facility’.

If I book again next month I’ll let you know what happens.

I would love to see ‘permanently fixed toilets’ as opposed to ‘permanently broken’ ones in their terminal. It really is a most depressing place.

Back