Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Excited about trip to Outer Hebrides next week! Anyone else been?

S

Solgal

VIP Member
So first of all it was going to be Norway, then the NC500 but now we've got round to booking and it's the Outer Hebrides! We went to the Isle of Barra a few years ago for a week on the fab trip where you the plane lands on the beach. We always said that we would love to go back - SO we now have booked our trip starting at Lewis and working our way down to Barra. At first we struggled to find campsites or other accommodation - we hadn't realised that it was so limited - but finally got the whole trip booked, including a range of campsite stops, a shepherds hut (almost as cheap as campsite costs) and a few days in a self catering house. The only night we are wild camping is on Barra as we can't find anything available and we have to leave early for the crossing back to Oban anyway.

We went five years or so ago and loved it. Some amazing history around the place. We camped at the community Hall in Vatersay (south of Barra) I think there was an honesty box and it cost £5. Limited facilities - just a loo!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...xe36cc75a830ba1c3!8m2!3d56.927258!4d-7.536036

I wrote a few bits here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/holidays-this-year.726/page-2#post-5040

Have a great time!
Thanks Californiaman! Taken a look at the threads. The Vatersay community hall looks just the job too!

We toured the outer islands in a 24 ft motorhome a few years ago. I can't wait to go back with the Cali. We've got a week planned in August but will probably only get as far as Mull.

It looks as though you have got sites sorted in the end. You are right that there are very few official sites - especially on North and South Uist. But there are stacks of places where you can wild camp. We had no problems finding good places. There are lots of little beach car parks - many with toilet facilities.

We'd also recommend the Community Hall on Vatersay. It was fairly busy when we stayed there but we still found a good spot. I seem to also recall seeing a lot of tents and campers near the airport.

We just did the same trip in June! Great camping for £4 on the beach side at Timsgerraidh in Lewis, hot showers and all mod cons. Handy for the Calanais stone circle but also the fabulous broch at Dun Charlabhaigh. Another great beach at Dail Beag.
Lots of designated wild camping bays on West Harris courtesy of the west Harris trust. The mountain scenery on Harris wil take your breath away!

North Uist; lovely community tea room & cafe in Lochmaddy. One of the best serviced campsites I have EVER been to just past Bail Uachdraich on North Uist with great walks nearby. More excellent walking at Beinn Langass burial mound. A really nice South Uist wild site at the Gearraidh am Mondadh picnic spot parking , again right by the beach. Park by the Eriksay Ferry if you need the loo. Proper big supermarket in Benbecula for a mid trip restock.

Shame Barra is booked, the site by Borgh is a gem. Had heard the village hall in Vatersay was closed. Lots of croft sites in the North of Barra but note that off road wild camping with vans is not encouraged on Barra. I am sure you can find a suitably discreet spot which is OK, as said , just past the airport on the left there is a good spot with hard standing behind a beach. I think it's sensitive machiar rather than snobbery which has formulated Barra's guidelines.

Anyway if the weather holds and the wind keeps the midges down, you will have a great time.
Ian

We have stayed at Horgabost on Harris when we rented a California. http://www.scottishcamping.com/link.php?n=385

Basic functional site and facilities...outstanding views over the beautiful beach. Lots of space.

First post... ordered Beach for 2017 spring delivery.

Back