Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Experience with Cambelt replacement and Water Pump

M&J

M&J

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Folks I'm going to be doing my timing belt and water pump at some point in the near future and have been looking at sourcing the parts. I have the OENs for both the full belt kit and the water pump (04L198119K and 04L121011M). The belt is not an issue but Ive been looking at a few sites online and the number shows water pumps with a number of different options, non switched, switched and with or without disabling contact. I'll be getting to it soon enough when I remove the covers but does anyone have any real life experience of doing this on the equivalent of a 2018 Diesel 204PS 4 Motion (engine CXEB) as to which is the correct pump and any more info on the "integrated disabling contact". I have already had call with VW and a Mastertech had no idea what I was talking about. Boxes of the VW part I've seen on EBAY dont seem to have any wire attached but just concerned that the actual VW part may also have a variant given that the OEN does not seem to be a unique identifier!
I have asked further questions of the online sites but no clear response yet and I will have to pursue. Interested to hear if anyone else has come up against this and perhaps a bit of clarity.

Send me your vin I will have a look for you

Thats a great help with the picture thanks for that! Really appreciate the quick response

Calikevs quick reply especially the diagram and this video
provided by Califorian at
have provided the information I needed. Looks like its a switched water pump that the ECU activates the solenoid(integrated disabling contact) to move a shield into place over the impeller to deactivate the pump. The shield can be seen in the part in the diagram above but the same VW part on some of the photos on EBAY doesn't have the shield. The guy in the video uses a non switched one with the solenoid just attached to the pump in the space provided for it. My next port of call is VW to get one of these off the shelf to check it and see if it now comes without the shield per the ebay pictures and hopefully Im good to go. Just as a by the by I did notice in my searches that there was a class action in the States re 1.6 and 2.0 engines overheating due to water pumps!

Back