Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Experience with Egoe Nest Ceiling bag

Kemper-van

Kemper-van

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hello all,

just scrolled through the forum looking for someone who has experience with the egoe nest ceiling bag, but didn't see it mentioned anywhere. I did find some older overhead storage topics, but nothing specific on the egoe nest solution. So here's my question:
we are travelling with 5 (2 adults, 3 kids between 6 & 10), so hence the choice of California Beach. Although very versatile, i'm looking to add some easily accessible storage that we can access while the kids are asleep (both from in & outside the car, ideally). The kids sleep on the lower bed side by side, heads towards the front. We keep walking shoes, foldable BBQ, fridge & that kind of stuff under the multiflex, but clothes always seem to end up where there are NOT meant to be. :) Which is why i was looking into the nestbag. Seems big enough for most of our clothes when on holiday.

I also like the adventurous look of the nest bag, but it's quite pricey... So....for that price, I'm wondering if someone has some real life experience? Does it impede backward visibility too much? Can you get most of your stuff in there, without needing to shuffle around too much?

thanks in advance!

Never heard of this but just googled it - €750 odd euros!! Plus I think you have to screw it to the ceiling? Don’t like the sound of that at all.

What about Vanessa (or similar) window bags? You’d be surprised how much they hold.

I’m considering all options, windowbags are a possibility too.
Was just wondering if anyone had some experience with nest bags. Or yet another alternative...

Never heard of this but just googled it - €750 odd euros!! Plus I think you have to screw it to the ceiling? Don’t like the sound of that at all.

What about Vanessa (or similar) window bags? You’d be surprised how much they hold.
Hi Kemper,

Window bags with packing cubes work for us, (4 persons)

the trick is pack light and pack for all occasion, it surprising how little clothes you actually need.

It looks likely the nest bag would interfere with rear vision Quite substantially particularly when full.

having looked at the video on internet I’m not sure how useful this would be in reality. particularly when full with clothes etc, I can see this bulging And creating further issue and not be that practica for regular access.

I winced when I saw them drilling the holes through, I can see the possibility of damaging the roof. Drilling the roof has a further negative, that there is a potential for rust issues where the holes are drilled through the galvanised panel. (Lots of condensation created by bodies in a van)

The fact the Nest bag is not easily removable means it is in the vehicle 100% of the time, potentially causing more of an issue, more of the time, than it solves.

if I were looking at Rear high level storage I would be looking for a fixed locker, but that will restrict rear view also.

the trays under the rear bench can hold a surprising amount of gear, particularly when using packing cubes.
Shoes use a collapsable crate placed outside the van (under the van in inclement weather)

window bags have the benefit of being removable instantly, offer loads of space to an otherwise dead spot, accessible from inside / outside the van and individual Sections for storage.

BBQ etc get stored outside once at the campsite ( if someone wants to steal it be my guest) the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from a BBQ is a real danger in an enclosed space.

fridge , behind Passenger seat (allows the bed to be made up as normal at bed time

thanks for the extensive answer. We do use packing cubes, currently in different colours of North Face bags. Very nice bags indeed and very sturdy, but makes them less handy to use inside campervan.

just to be clear: the BBQ is only stored inside when not in use. it stores flat, about the size of an A3-sized paper and about 5cm in height when stored. Never use a BBQ inside!!
I installed the vangear mini-pod in the back, so putting the fridge inside is not feasible. Instead, I keep an outwell cornillon L storage box behind driver seat (left hand drive, as i live in belgium), wich is perfect to store the headrest when in bed-mode and doesn't impact making the bed further forward due to the mini-pod in the back.

I'm indeed a concerned with drilling holes in a brand new van...

Maybe we should indeed start with windowbags, and if needed, we can add a smaller roofbox later. Window-bags + alu-roofbox seem to equal just the price of the nest bag ceiling solution.

Apart from VanEssa and California-Camping, any other brands of windowbags to consider?
Preferrably something that doesn't sag over time...

Interesting. When watching this, I also came across a similar solution from qubic. Seems there are lots of alternatives. Key question is then: which ones are good and which not...

Just for clarification: when i was referring to roofbox in this topic, i meant an internal one mounted to the ceiling used to store lightweight items.

I’m not really considering an external roofbox or storage on bike rack: we haven’t felt the need for more external storage, just more efficient storage inside. Also, we don’t plan driveaway awnings or similar (maybe in the future, for colder weather). I would like to keep the bike rack for bikes, just need to figure out how to carry the 5th bike in the future, as we don’t have a tow bar (yet). But that’s a question for a different topic.

We have been doing campervan holidays of up to 4 consecutive weeks in the past 10 years, with rental vans. Aongst others a LWB Caravelle with external separate rooftop sleeper (fun, but it splits the family), a Ford Custom Nugget (nice concept with the fixed kitchen in the back, but not as versatile as what I wanted + lower bed too small... why 5 seatbelts if you can only sleep 4?, conversion hightop renault traffic, and a couple of Ford E150’s in the States/Canada again with rooftop sleepers). All that experience lead to the choice for a Beach. This year it’ll be our own van for the first time.

I have no issue with the compromise travelling with 5 people. So I’m currently looking into the window bags.

Thanks for all the inputs!

I ordered the new modular beach window bags from california-camping.de yesterday evening, since these allow packing in house and replacing inside the van without having to remove the base plates.
Curious to how they will work out.

fridge , behind Passenger seat (allows the bed to be made up as normal at bed time
Hi Perfectos is that the VW removable fridge you’re referring to!? I haven’t tried the seat down without the seven seat arrangement still in my Beach!

Hi Perfectos is that the VW removable fridge you’re referring to!? I haven’t tried the seat down without the seven seat arrangement still in my Beach!
Hi Baloni

the fridge I have is a Dometic CFX35

Hello all,

just scrolled through the forum looking for someone who has experience with the egoe nest ceiling bag, but didn't see it mentioned anywhere. I did find some older overhead storage topics, but nothing specific on the egoe nest solution. So here's my question:
we are travelling with 5 (2 adults, 3 kids between 6 & 10), so hence the choice of California Beach. Although very versatile, i'm looking to add some easily accessible storage that we can access while the kids are asleep (both from in & outside the car, ideally). The kids sleep on the lower bed side by side, heads towards the front. We keep walking shoes, foldable BBQ, fridge & that kind of stuff under the multiflex, but clothes always seem to end up where there are NOT meant to be. :) Which is why i was looking into the nestbag. Seems big enough for most of our clothes when on holiday.

Také se mi líbí dobrodružný vzhled brašny na hnízdo, ale je to docela drahé ... Takže .... za tu cenu jsem zvědavý, jestli má někdo nějaké skutečné životní zkušenosti? Překáží příliš dozadu? Dokážete tam dostat většinu svých věcí, aniž byste se museli příliš míchat?

Díky předem!
Super jsem použil ve svém oceánu na pravé straně.

Given the high price, we decided to go fot window bags from california-camping. Thanks for your input!
Hi. How are you finding the bags? I’ve been looking at these ones, but was concerned they’d be less rigid than the original design (maybe end up pulling the backboard out of the window aperture when trying to peel the bags off the Velcro?) Thanks in advance
Matt

We have only just installed them. I haven’t tried taking the bags from the plate with velcro yet, but on a whole it looks quite sturdy.

Back