Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Experience with low Kela or small Outdoor Rev airbeam awnings

RedCali

RedCali

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Please could someone with one of the above tell us how long it takes to put it up/ down - in real Cali time, rather than salesman time! How difficult is it to fold up and put in the bag? Does anyone have any experience in comparing the packed size of an airbeam to a pole awning?
Thank you!

Please could someone with one of the above tell us how long it takes to put it up/ down - in real Cali time, rather than salesman time! How difficult is it to fold up and put in the bag? Does anyone have any experience in comparing the packed size of an airbeam to a pole awning?
Thank you!
Complete airbeam novice - it took me 20 minutes to put up the Kela low on my driveway - not pegged out.
2nd attempt, it took me 15 minutes to put it up in a thunderstorm, pegged out but woefully badly.

Packing it wet and getting it in the bag is mildly difficult, but as it will need to be dried out then packed properly, it is not a big problem.

I tried to repack it small in the garden after it had dried out. I sucked the air out of the airbeams with the deflate end of the pump, but somehow air kept getting back into the airbeams, and I couldn't pack it as tight as I would have liked. A problem to resolve another day...

I really do think that with practice, 10 minutes for putting up and pegging out is very achievable. It is a very useful extra space.

Thank you!

Our Outdoor Revolution Moveairlite Classic arrived on Friday. Pitched it at Crystal Palace CMC site on Saturday afternoon and it went up within a few minutes. It has a single inflation point so once you've rolled it out and pegged out four corners it takes around 10-20 pushes on the pump and it's up. Then just peg out the guy ropes. I didn't time it but we are talking 15min territory.

It was similarly easy to take down and went back in the bag on the first attempt (with two of us rolling it to make sure). I didn't leave it up overnight as heavy rain was forecast (never materialised :mad:) and wouldn't have had any chance to dry it out this week. Will post a more thorough review when it gets used for our 10day trip at the start of April.

Our Outdoor Revolution Moveairlite Classic arrived on Friday. Pitched it at Crystal Palace CMC site on Saturday afternoon and it went up within a few minutes. It has a single inflation point so once you've rolled it out and pegged out four corners it takes around 10-20 pushes on the pump and it's up. Then just peg out the guy ropes. I didn't time it but we are talking 15min territory.

It was similarly easy to take down and went back in the bag on the first attempt (with two of us rolling it to make sure). I didn't leave it up overnight as heavy rain was forecast (never materialised :mad:) and wouldn't have had any chance to dry it out this week. Will post a more thorough review when it gets used for our 10day trip at the start of April.
Thanks for the info - we are considering which to buy, and whether it's a big advantage over a poled awning. How did it go on your longer trip?

Having returned our Khyam awning to manufacturer due to poor quality and broken pole, we just bought a Sunncamp Silhouette air awning (having avoided air so far due to price, we realised we just don't want to do poles and old fashioned tent erecting any more - we bought a Cali to get away from all that malarky - quick and easy wins the day). We've so far only put it up inside as the weather was pants, but it really was a piece of cake, and very nice quality. Still small, but much more substantially built with good thick fabric. Under 10kg, and super easy to put up and down and went easily back into voluminous bag. For the two of us, it's just perfect. Here's a link:

https://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/shop/product/sunncamp-silhouette-motor-air-225-plus-2017-5372/

Hi, just been reading the discussions about inflatable driveaway awnings. We're looking at getting one for our T6 Ocean, we have the factory fitted VW awning and was wondering do I have to remove this to attach a driveaway awning, I assume that i will? Any advice on this and recommendations would be appreciated.

No you will not need to remove the vw awning it has a channel just under the front flap to attach a driveaway

Have a Vango Cruz and am completely rubbish at these things - takes about 20 minutes to put up and about the same to take down etc. Though the taking down (probably a little to do with deflating and putting in the bag) is more hassle than the putting up. But not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Having returned our Khyam awning to manufacturer due to poor quality and broken pole, we just bought a Sunncamp Silhouette air awning (having avoided air so far due to price, we realised we just don't want to do poles and old fashioned tent erecting any more - we bought a Cali to get away from all that malarky - quick and easy wins the day). We've so far only put it up inside as the weather was pants, but it really was a piece of cake, and very nice quality. Still small, but much more substantially built with good thick fabric. Under 10kg, and super easy to put up and down and went easily back into voluminous bag. For the two of us, it's just perfect. Here's a link:

https://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/shop/product/sunncamp-silhouette-motor-air-225-plus-2017-5372/
Thanks, this looks really good...not too big and with good substantial storm straps.

Thanks for the info - we are considering which to buy, and whether it's a big advantage over a poled awning. How did it go on your longer trip?

It was great. A really nice size (3m x 3m) so plenty of space for storage, table and chairs and a bit of play space.

Setup was straightforward. We did buy the stone protection footprint before leaving for an extra layer on hard standing and this combined with the groundsheet and snugrug made it comfortable to be barefoot/in socks and our 2 year old didn't complain once.

Inflation takes no time at all and pegging out is no different to any other awning. Definitely preferable over heavy awkward poles. The connection to Cali via the kador strip (sold separately) onto the pull out awning is undoubtedly a faff but do it 3 or 4 times and you'll be doing it easily. All comes down to lining up the Cali at the right spot.

Overall very happy with the product but two things to consider:
-we decided that we won't use it for stays of less than 3 nights due to time/organisation needed

-with any driveaway awning looking closely at pitch size. We had to move from our allocated pitch as it wasn't big enough. 2m wide van, 3m awning and 0.8m cowl door porch means you need a 6m minimum pitch width (and more if it's a C&MC site with rules about positioning). Fortunately site was accommodating and had alternatives (Park Cliffe, Windermere)

@Verity does it connect to the van by slotting a Kador strip into the channel in the awning and if so is it the right size?

@Verity does it connect to the van by slotting a Kador strip into the channel in the awning and if so is it the right size?
We haven't attached it to the van yet - we only put it up in the living room to check for ease of going up/down and repacking. We will have a look at get back to you. We have all the strip connector things from the previous awning, so will have a play this weekend. We're off to the Peterborough motorhome show today for a nosy. Who knows what we'll come back with?! Hopefully full wallets and nothing ridiculous, but we do have a history of misbehaviour at such events!

We haven't attached it to the van yet - we only put it up in the living room to check for ease of going up/down and repacking. We will have a look at get back to you. We have all the strip connector things from the previous awning, so will have a play this weekend. We're off to the Peterborough motorhome show today for a nosy. Who knows what we'll come back with?! Hopefully full wallets and nothing ridiculous, but we do have a history of misbehaviour at such events!

Motorhome shows are dangerous places!
I went to the Newbury one last year and came home having bought my California :)
We just went for a 'look'!

Yes it connects to the van with a Kador strip. The plastic channel is supplied with the awning, and you need to buy a 4mm to 6mm Kador strip (according to the man of the house - tbh I don't get involved with the technical.).

PS we managed to come away from the show having spent a rather unwise amount on a water cooled air conditioner for my mother in law, who overheats then has panic attacks and is about to have a shoulder replacement, so will spend the next six weeks quite possibly sleeping in her recliner chair. The stuff you can buy at trade shows, eh??!!

Yes it connects to the van with a Kador strip. The plastic channel is supplied with the awning, and you need to buy a 4mm to 6mm Kador strip (according to the man of the house - tbh I don't get involved with the technical.).

PS we managed to come away from the show having spent a rather unwise amount on a water cooled air conditioner for my mother in law, who overheats then has panic attacks and is about to have a shoulder replacement, so will spend the next six weeks quite possibly sleeping in her recliner chair. The stuff you can buy at trade shows, eh??!!

Transcool by any chance? Really nice products and on my long term Cali purchase list for holidays on the continent.

Thanks @Verity . I would love to see pics of the awning in situ if you have time to take any. Sounds just what I am looking for.
I'm sure that your M in L will appreciate your purchases!

Transcool by any chance? Really nice products and on my long term Cali purchase list for holidays on the continent.
Yes! Brilliant little machines. Pricey little devils though. In 10 years' time when the old folks have snuffed it I shall hope to inherit it!!! The in laws will love it. Nanny suffers from the heat, and will be particularly affected by the upcoming shoulder replacement no doubt. They no longer have a campervan, so stay in Premier Inns now when they go away, and are always too hot in hotel rooms. Grandad has a dodgy ticker, and gets panicky and breathless when he overheats in hotel rooms. Hopefully we will have solved lots of their problems by this purchase. I hope so anyway!

We hope to try it out properly soon, so will post a pic. Maybe next weekend ...?
Thanks, that would be great.
I will travel alone but sometimes my 23 year old son might come so this would give him his own accommodation. Also useful for dog containment and storage.

Thanks, that would be great.
I will travel alone but sometimes my 23 year old son might come so this would give him his own accommodation. Also useful for dog containment and storage.
Yes it's usually just the two of us, but our 17 (he will be 18 by then ... yikes) yr old will come with us to meet chums in Scotland in August, so he can kip in the awning as, for some reason, he doesn't fancy sleeping in the van. His loss!!!

When considering buying an awning, we didn't think we intended to use it much, but when you are on a longer holiday with lots of stuff which you don't need in the van for days out, we thought it would be a handy addition to our kit. If it's easy to put up and take down though (which I think it is given our test run in the sitting room), it may see more regular use. We camp all through the winter, and sometimes it's too manky/windy/wet to cook outside, so it will hopefully come into its own for cooking smelly stuff outside in the colder weather. And it's just something else to drape fairy lights round at Christmas time!

Thanks @Verity . I would love to see pics of the awning in situ if you have time to take any. Sounds just what I am looking for.
I'm sure that your M in L will appreciate your purchases!
We used the awning this weekend. It was extremely easy to put up - it will ordinarily take about 10 mins - we might have faffed a bit this time as it was new. My husband has taken a time lapse film of it going up. We didn't bother attaching it to the van as the view was too lovely and we were just using it for storage and to put the loo in. I guess it would be another 5 mins or so to get it attached to the van. Here's an ordinary pic for now, and I'll try and upload the vid when my husband has sent me a link.

20170428_174400.jpg

We used the awning this weekend. It was extremely easy to put up - it will ordinarily take about 10 mins - we might have faffed a bit this time as it was new. My husband has taken a time lapse film of it going up. We didn't bother attaching it to the van as the view was too lovely and we were just using it for storage and to put the loo in. I guess it would be another 5 mins or so to get it attached to the van. Here's an ordinary pic for now, and I'll try and upload the vid when my husband has sent me a link.

View attachment 21159
Verity. Really useful thanks. My particular needs have drawn me to conclude the Silhouette is the one for me but before I press the 'buy' button can you comment on practicality. In particular, I note one of the internal dimensions is 1.5m excluding the tunnel. That's fine as it's primarily for storage but could you in reality sit at a table and eat in it? I mapped it on the floor and whilst the width is OK it's that depth of 1.5m that's of concern. Any views? (Nice pic by the way) Gareth

Verity. Really useful thanks. My particular needs have drawn me to conclude the Silhouette is the one for me but before I press the 'buy' button can you comment on practicality. In particular, I note one of the internal dimensions is 1.5m excluding the tunnel. That's fine as it's primarily for storage but could you in reality sit at a table and eat in it? I mapped it on the floor and whilst the width is OK it's that depth of 1.5m that's of concern. Any views? (Nice pic by the way) Gareth
Yes, I would say you could sit in there with the cali table and the two chairs, if you didn't have lots of other stuff in there. It is quite compact, as you say, and we bought it primarily for storage on longer holidays and to sit in out of the wind if it was good weather but not quite warm enough to sit out.

Here is the link to the vid of it going up. It was dead easy.

https://vimeo.com/215408219

Yes, I would say you could sit in there with the cali table and the two chairs, if you didn't have lots of other stuff in there. It is quite compact, as you say, and we bought it primarily for storage on longer holidays and to sit in out of the wind if it was good weather but not quite warm enough to sit out.

Here is the link to the vid of it going up. It was dead easy.

https://vimeo.com/215408219
Thank you. Was tempted to get a larger size for little extra cost but really keen to minimise pack size and weight so this may very well fit the bill.

Back