Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Exploding Leisure Battery

M

mbenne

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
On the first ever trip in our own Cali, July this year, I woke in the early hours of the morning. No idea why but I lay awake for some time and was alarmed when I heard a loud noise - a cross between a bang, or a dull thud like something hitting the roof of the van. Battery.JPG went into overdrive. Maybe it was a bolt snapping? I had fitted a locking nut to the spare wheel before we left home and had visions of someone lying underneath the van trying to remove the spare!. By now my wife was awake and annoyed that I was fidgeting around lifting the blinds to see outside. It was pitch black and I couldn't see a thing. She convinced me that I was imagining things and I drifted off.

Next morning the owners of the van opposite (a lwb conversion) had everything out on the grass. Nothing unusual as they were planning on leaving before 8am. They asked if we had been woken by the commotion in the early hours. I explained what I heard and was told that their leisure battery had exploded. They had been having problems with it and it must have overcharged or maybe a dry cell? It was placed beneath their bed they had to get everything out ASAP. The acid had ruined their carpets and melted waterproof jacket! Fortunately, he, his wife and their dog were ok, though he had some minor acid burns on his arms.

Photos attached

One of the reasons why I tend to be buying VW approved batteries when mine will be dying.
I sometimes doubt the quality of those cheaper things.

Although no battery will be free from exploding if something is really wrong with it, but if the quality has been approved, there will be less chance.
Might even been a fault in the battery charger, so who knows?

So the way i read this , it was not on your Cali (your profile also says "looking to by " do update this if you own a Cali now) .
Someone else' battery exploded ?

I think i may have some special powers of prediction
cos I'm sure that i read this exact story a couple of months ago.

I think i may have some special powers of prediction
cos I'm sure that i read this exact story a couple of months ago.

Seems you are correct

@mbenne , why the need to post this again when you posted this a few months ago in a other thread ?

Was it by the company that converted this van...?
Yes that right, chair R&R bed with belts fixed in place via wood screws...:headbang

Some of these conversion companies are dreadful.

886ED852-7573-4D27-B5B3-7EAE474D453E.jpeg

Yes, this did appear before but it seemed important enough to place in a different thread - I'm not in the habit of posting duplicate info but unlike other forums this one doesn't appear to have an edit facility else I would have deleted the old one. Maybe someone with admin rights can delete one of them.
Was it by the company that converted this van...?
Yes that right, chair R&R bed with belts fixed in place via wood screws...:headbang

Some of these conversion companies are dreadful.

View attachment 51463
It was a self build

As for it being my van I thought the second para explained that it was the van opposite us as it does say 'their leisure battery had exploded''. Yes we do own a Cali and profile is now updated. .

No worry's you can bring it to peoples mind that things can go wrong .
You need to be a VIP to be able to edit your posts , if there's something needs to be edited just ask a admin or moderator using the report button.

No worry's you can bring it to peoples mind that things can go wrong .
You need to be a VIP to be able to edit your posts , if there's something needs to be edited just ask a admin or moderator using the report button.
Thanks, I was convinced I couldn't edit posts;)

Back