Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extended toolkit?

Alibee

Alibee

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Morning all,

I was wondering who carries what in terms of tools, in addition to the standard toolkit? For years I have had a toolbox under the bench seat of my T4, with a fair sized toolkit in it, but I hope that it will be largely redundant in T6 world....

To get the ball rolling, I'm still expecting to carry the following:
  • Work gloves, wipes
  • Stanley knife, multitool
  • WD40, Silicone spray
  • Adjustable spanner (yes, I know they're the devil's work)
  • Mole-grips (that will never touch the T6 but may help others)
  • Decent tyre pressure guage
  • Superglue, Araldite, Electrical & Gaff tape, zip ties & a roll of 3mm Dyneema cord
Anything else? Jump leads? Small socket set? Very short contortionist mechanic?

Jump leads. Gorilla tape is a must. Small set of Torx bits. Tow rope lives in the space above the gas bottle. Small hydraulic botle jack. Small multitool.

I'm with you on that lot, adjustable spanner included, but yep, socket set goes as well as does a multi changeable head screwdriver thing. And a few strips of velcro.

Seem to have used most things.

Thanks all!

I'll be adding Allen keys, tow rope, torx bits and maybe a small socket set (if I can find something small, light and strong enough - sounds expensive!).

Regarding small socket sets, on my regular trips to Sweden, I have found that they sell a very inexpensive (aka "cheap & nasty" perhaps) socket set in the ICA supermarket chain (the Maxi ones anyway). I keep it in my apartment there and it has genuinely come in useful on a few occasions.

I just checked and it looks like something similar can be bought in the UK, like this example for 7.87 of your English pounds (but by the time I've finished writing this post who knows?):

http://www.tesco.com/direct/blue-sp...-piece-socket-set/302-2683.prd?skuId=302-2683

302-2683_PI_1000013MN

From the same outlet (no affiliation/endorsement intended), I noticed this which looks far more like 'the business' and very compact (albeit with limited practical application I guess):

http://www.tesco.com/direct/teng-to...-of-13-14in-drive/601-6582.prd?skuId=601-6582

292-0479_PI_1000478MN

or this which could 'tick several boxes' for similar money to the above:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/teng-to...metric-14in-drive/250-2968.prd?skuId=250-2968

Last edited:
Having spent years of driving air-cooled VW buses, splits, bays, a T25 and even a T4, and carrying a ridiculous amount of tools and spare parts with me everywhere I went, from the trusty gaffer tape, tools, cable ties and a trolley jack...:Depressed trust me, the ONLY thing I will be carrying with me when the Cali arrives, is my AA Card!

Thats one of the main reasons for buying it in the first place! Reliability and stress-free adventures!!!

I might relent with some gaffer tape and cable ties though, old habits die hard...:D

Morning all,

I was wondering who carries what in terms of tools, in addition to the standard toolkit? For years I have had a toolbox under the bench seat of my T4, with a fair sized toolkit in it, but I hope that it will be largely redundant in T6 world....

To get the ball rolling, I'm still expecting to carry the following:
  • Work gloves, wipes
  • Stanley knife, multitool
  • WD40, Silicone spray
  • Adjustable spanner (yes, I know they're the devil's work)
  • Mole-grips (that will never touch the T6 but may help others)
  • Decent tyre pressure guage
  • Superglue, Araldite, Electrical & Gaff tape, zip ties & a roll of 3mm Dyneema cord
Anything else? Jump leads? Small socket set? Very short contortionist mechanic?

Fault code reader and reset tool. 1/4" drive socket set with star drives.

Rgrds,

Rob H.

Just RAC card for me .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

AA card and mobile phone. Lectrickery box for jump starting. Tow rope might be an idea as I do camp in fields.

I will add a serpentine auxiliary belt, not to fit myself but to hand to the Rac guy to fit should it happen to fail so he can get me on my way again.

I will add a serpentine auxiliary belt, not to fit myself but to hand to the Rac guy to fit should it happen to fail so he can get me on my way again.
I have no idea what that is!

Modern version of the old Fan Belt.
Good grief! And is it particularly likely to fail? I mean, there are all sorts of spares one could carry but s**s law says it'll be something else that fails......

Someone recently posted about needing to get a flatbed taxi to a dealer for this, plus I work on the theory that if I have it, it will never fail :)

Mate of mine actually took a spare propshaft for his Mazda Bongo on his six week trip to Spain.:headbang:headbang

Back