Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extended warranty

ChrisB

ChrisB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi all,

I'm just wanting to get some insight into VW extended warranties. I purchased my Cali back in October 2017. It is a 2018 model Ocean 150 DSG 4 motion. The vehicle is a Spanish model purchased from a VW main dealer.

In Spain, the vehicle comes with a standard 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, with the option to extend the warranty. I have emailed my dealer who says I have to wait until the vehicle is 6 months old and I then have to provide him with the odometer reading. He will then calculate the overall costs of any extended warranty and any service plan based upon anticipated mileage. He won't give me an estimate.

Is this how the system works in the UK? Can anyone give me some 'ball park' figures for extended warranty costs, just so I have an idea of what to expect.

Thanks

Chris

Hi all,

I'm just wanting to get some insight into VW extended warranties. I purchased my Cali back in October 2017. It is a 2018 model Ocean 150 DSG 4 motion. The vehicle is a Spanish model purchased from a VW main dealer.

In Spain, the vehicle comes with a standard 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, with the option to extend the warranty. I have emailed my dealer who says I have to wait until the vehicle is 6 months old and I then have to provide him with the odometer reading. He will then calculate the overall costs of any extended warranty and any service plan based upon anticipated mileage. He won't give me an estimate.

Is this how the system works in the UK? Can anyone give me some 'ball park' figures for extended warranty costs, just so I have an idea of what to expect.

Thanks

Chris
It works different in the UK. We were able to take our extended warranty out at the same we purchased the van. Our estimated mileage was below 10k miles per year. We also took out a service plan which included 2 intermediate and 2 major services and an MOT test. I have just found out that these need to be used within four years, so although we're on the extended service schedule we still need to have the services done annually. I was hoping to extend the intervals to 18 months as we do low mileage.

Hi all,

Thanks

Chris
3 months from purchase date to take out an extended warranty. Otherwise you have to wait until the end of warranty period, 2 years for Spain?.
I fell foul of this and got no help from VWCS. Independent warranty suppliers can offer better value deals.
Some Motorhome derived ones will include fittings as well as just mechanical/drivetrain.

I think the VW extended warranty will be difficult to beat as it is a continuation of the original 3 year warranty especially at the price offered at purchase time.

I think the VW extended warranty will be difficult to beat as it is a continuation of the original 3 year warranty especially at the price offered at purchase time.
But with mileage limits I am lead to believe.

No problem clocking up 20,000 miles each year for the past 3 years. Now at 64,000 miles. Would have been more except for my trips down under.:D
Interesting point regarding the Extended warranty available after 3 years if you couldn't take advantage of the warranty extension at purchase. There are 2 types available, one with some exclusions and one, supposedly Full as in the normal 3 year warranty. However the Full Warranty excludes all the Habitation equipment on the California including rear seat, fridge, cooker, all leisure electrics, roof and Parking Heater. This was not mentioned in the Warranty details only by making enquiries.

With the Warranty extension at Purchase, have you got written confirmation of what is included in years 4 & 5?

At present I am awaiting an answer to a Complaint I lodged with VW Commercial regarding this Con but they are already in breach of their Complaints Policy of a written answer within 8 weeks so I have escalated my Complaint.

The actual VW warranty is two years. The third year here in the UK is a dealer warranty which obviously is built into the price.
If you have a problem abroad in the third year you have to pay and then clain it back from a UK dealer within 14 days of the invoice date.
Unless you were fortunate enough to get the extended warranty at purchase personally I think the cost of the extended warranty is not worth it. Save the money and pay up if you have a problem,hopefully not.

The actual VW warranty is two years. The third year here in the UK is a dealer warranty which obviously is built into the price.
If you have a problem abroad in the third year you have to pay and then clain it back from a UK dealer within 14 days of the invoice date.
Unless you were fortunate enough to get the extended warranty at purchase personally I think the cost of the extended warranty is not worth it. Save the money and pay up if you have a problem,hopefully not.
Totally Agree. But If as the VW Commercial Site states an extension of the Factory Warranty then one would expect that to be on the same Terms and cover the WHOLE vehicle in the case of the California, but it would seem it only covers the Base Vehicle and NOT the California extras/Options. Very underhanded.

Yes, definitely not good.
I suppose they figure that with more mileage it's the mechanical side that will be a potential problem rather then the leisure side.
Having said that because the leisure side is so complex electrically it is possibly just as expensive to fix. eg £800 for a new control panel which is a complete rip off.
As you say, underhanded.

With the Warranty extension at Purchase, have you got written confirmation of what is included in years 4 & 5?

"Exactly the same cover as original manufacturer warranty" is what is stated on the VW waranty site for year 4/5

"Exactly the same cover as original manufacturer warranty" is what is stated on the VW waranty site for year 4/5
Which site is that please?

Some email replies from VW Commercial Warranty.

Ok,
So this product is not in fact an extension of the VW warranty I have had for the past 3 years. In fact the details on the website regarding the Full Warranty cover is misleading to say the least. I am therefore reporting this communication stream and the website to my local Trading Standards and to the ASA, Advertising Standards Authority as it is unlawful in its present form.
You have until Monday to correct the information regarding this product at which time the above mentioned Authorities will be contacted.

Paul.Woodsford
Sent from my Huawei Mobile

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Your Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Warranty Cover is ending soon
To: Paul Woodsford
CC:

Good Morning,

Thank you for your email.

The policy underwriters have advised that there is no cover under the Extended Warranty policy for the parts listed in the your initial email.

Kind Regards,

cid:image001.png@01D359FA.650CA560

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles
Holly Winfield
Volkswagen Administration
Tel: 0333 043 3784 | Fax: 0333 043 3798 | Email: h.winfield@ensurance-claims.co.uk | Web:www.insurewithvwcv.co.ukPO Box 869, Warrington, WA4 6LD

From: Paul Woodsford [mailto:paul.woodsford@talktalk.net]
Sent: 01 November 2017 22:43
To: customerservices@vwcv-extendedwarranty.co.uk
Subject: Re: Your Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Warranty Cover is ending soon

Hi,

Does this warranty cover the Camping equipment on the California SE, ie: Elevating roof hydraulics, Control Panel for Diesel Parking Heater, Fridge and Parking Heater?

All these are at present covered.

Last edited:
Well if I need a claim year 4 or 5 will pay upfront and being uing the small claims court. if your reply turns out not to be VW "fake news"

Good Morning,

Thank you for your email.

The policy underwriters have advised that there is no cover under the Extended Warranty policy for the parts listed in the your initial email.

VW commercial list 2 warranties
  • Factory extenced warranty, purchased within 3 months of 1st registration states "Exactly the same cover as original manufacturer warranty".
  • extended warranty, purchased at the end of 3 factory year cover in the T&C lists what is cover and appears much the same as insurance underwritten polices for major parts.
I await the out come of this debate but I believe I have full cover for 5 years and 80k.

Last edited:
Well, if and When I get a Formal Reply to my Complaint then I’ll publish it here.

Don’t see where the “ fake news “ bit comes in.

Don’t see where the “ fake news “ bit comes in.
ask the same question to 5 different people at VWHQ will you get the same answer?

ask the same question to 5 different people at VWHQ will you get the same answer?
Unfortunately in this case I think the answer is correct. We shall see.

ALL warranty, 3 normal and the 2 extra years bought within the 3 month period after the vehicle purchase is supplied and honored by VW as far as UK buyers are concerned. It covers all parts, including habitation, in the same way over the 5 year period. That's what I was told by the dealer in no uncertain terms.

I have no knowledge of warranties bought after the 3 months from purchase.

:(:(:(

ALL warranty, 3 normal and the 2 extra years bought within the 3 month period after the vehicle purchase is supplied and honored by VW as far as UK buyers are concerned. It covers all parts, including habitation, in the same way over the 5 year period. That's what I was told by the dealer in no uncertain terms.

I have no knowledge of warranties bought after the 3 months from purchase.

:(:(:(
I’m glad you have that in writing.

That’s what I thought when I enquired about the Post 3 year Warranty extension as that is what it infers on the Website of VW Commercials.

It seems that the VW site is very clear on this point. The bullet points below are copied from the site

https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/service-accessories/warranties.html

It's good enough for me :thumb
  • Must be purchased within three months of your vehicle’s initial registration
  • Exactly the same cover as original manufacturer warranty
  • No limit to the number of claims you can make, no excess, and no requirement to pay and then reclaim the costs
  • All repairs carried out by the Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles' authorised network using genuine parts
  • Fully transferable to new owner, should you sell, which will help to enhance resale value

Back