Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

External monitor/display for laptop that works on 12v

kp64zl

kp64zl

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I'm looking for an external monitor that works on 12v to use with my laptop.

The reason is that using laptop screen for prolonged periods gives me neck/head aches -- so I use an external display at home/work

ideally something that can sit on the van's table, height adjustable and works on 12 volts & is reasonable enough in dimensions to stow in van when not used

thanks

We have some 13” displays in our data centre that run off 12v they have a trailing powersupply so you can use these but you will need a 12v dc-dc regulator.

Hi Loz -- thanks for that - really appreciated.....does that mean they can't be plugged straight into the van's 12 system & is the dc-dc regulator a complex set up? Are these available for public to buy? If so what's the brand/model et?

I have a external monitor thats powered off the USB 3.0 connector from my laptop. So whether im on laptop battery or the laptop is plugged into the van it works fine. I've also bought an adjustable arm that clamps onto the Cali table so effectively freeing the space on the internal table as the monitor 'floats' above the table.

Very useful for keeping the space on the table free. I found that the laptop and external monitor took up much needed space.

To go a step further I bought a 2nd clamp arm for my 'laptop'. So now both screens float above and off the table giving practically full use of the table for other items such as the simline wireless keyboard and mouse, plus useful room for any other 'office' stuff like a notepad etc.

I wont mention the battery powered wifi Hp printer either.

All works a treat. :thumb

---------------------
The equipment I use :

Surface Pro 4
Asus Zenscreen 15.6" USB Monitor
HP Officejet 200
2 x ZenCT Tablet Stand Clamp Mount Holder.

Hi @Sunstoner That sounds awesome- do you have a photo? Interested in the adjustable arm set up. Thanks

Last edited:
Quite a few LG monitors have an external 12V power supply adaptor, so would be ideal.
Try searching on eBay for 'LG monitor with PSU' and then check on LG support what voltage the PSU outputs.

It arrived today. Broken (dark in bottom right corner extending upwards)

:-(

sent back, hopefully new one will work better

IMG_1762.JPG
Untitled.png

Last edited:
I dont mean to get all techie.....but did you good folk know that by connecting your Samsung Galaxy phone upto a compatible monitor (HDMI / USB-C) you can effectively run a full desktop operating system where you can connect up a wireless mouse and keyboard!?!

Its called Samsung Dex. All modern Galaxy phones have it. its works pretty well as a replacement for a laptop or desktop PC. You can run Word\ Excel, email and internet plus run your android apps on a monitor and much more besides all from that mini super computer in your pocket.

Thought I'd just throw that in there as not a lot of people know about it :thumb

**Goes back into his cupboard

Hi @Sunstoner

All up and running now with a new, working, screen (ASUS ZenScreen Go MB16AHP) connected to my MacBook pro via USB-C. Apple Magic Mouse and Apple Magic keyboard. The technology works well -- the screen isn't as good at that on the laptop, but it does mean I can position everything ergonomically (as possible in a van).

I've a couple of questions for you

1) I do find that the screen is quite wobbly (i.e. wobbles with normal typing)-- have you found any effective way to dampen the wobbles beyond tightening the various clamps on the arm?

2) The minimum setting for the clamp for the table is wider than the thickness of the table. I've put a bit of wood in as a spacer but it's not ideal (bit wobbly). Have you done anything different?

Overall it's a pretty good set up though and preferable to working on laptop.

thanks

IMG_1841.JPG

Hi @Sunstoner

All up and running now with a new, working, screen (ASUS ZenScreen Go MB16AHP) connected to my MacBook pro via USB-C. Apple Magic Mouse and Apple Magic keyboard. The technology works well -- the screen isn't as good at that on the laptop, but it does mean I can position everything ergonomically (as possible in a van).

1) I do find that the screen is quite wobbly (i.e. wobbles with normal typing)-- have you found any effective way to dampen the wobbles beyond tightening the various clamps on the arm?

2) The minimum setting for the clamp for the table is wider than the thickness of the table. I've put a bit of wood in as a spacer but it's not ideal (bit wobbly). Have you done anything different?

thanks

View attachment 55942

That looks great that!

The wobble was a thing although I didnt notice it that much but it was there. Admittedly I used a book as a spacer! :D .

Im going to be re-investigating my setup this weekend when I (finally) pick our Cali up. Bar the wobble, how are you finding the arm for the monitor? Have you found it frees up the space?

As far as the screen goes, yeah its an ok secondary 1080p screen. Not in the same league as the one on your macbook but I find it useful for running as a 2nd monitor which I need for my setup.

I'll get some photos uploaded over the weekend :thumb

Ste

Hi @Sunstoner

thanks

View attachment 55942

To add to the wobble thing. Using the same clamp on my desk with same Asus monitor at home there is next to no wobble, in fact there is none. So i'll have a play with the setup in the Cali to see if theres a relatively simply work around. :thumb :)

Yes, I think part of the wobble is the table. Yes the arm works well otherwise. I'll need a proper field test to fully evaluate rather than 15 minutes on the drive....at least it all works though

Yes, I think part of the wobble is the table. Yes the arm works well otherwise. I'll need a proper field test to fully evaluate rather than 15 minutes on the drive....at least it all works though

Got me Cali...wohooo!! And have got setup in situ:

20200306_201600.jpg

The wobble is minimal but most noticable on the left screen. Table moves most nearest to where it attaches to the cupboard as you lean on the table to type, not sure what could be done there?!. But again even this screen doesnt wobble a great deal. The Asus screen on right barely moves at all. I do have a thin rug under the table leg which possibly absorbs some of the movement??!

Overall, just as pleased as before. :thumb

Last edited:
Two suggestions.
1. Use the sliding door table instead.
2. Use a piece of wood to act as a prop under the hinge end of the table, possibly with a cross piece, that can be pushed into place to stop hinge movement.

Two suggestions.
1. Use the sliding door table instead.
2. Use a piece of wood to act as a prop under the hinge end of the table, possibly with a cross piece, that can be pushed into place to stop hinge movement.

Like them suggestions! Cheers! :cheers