Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

External Storage/Box/Bag While Travelling

I

irlcwill

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Just wondering if any of the Cali Exclusive owners have any experience of outside storage boxes/bags

We normally take 3 bikes on the rack and no towbar but wondering what options we have for extra storage for lightweight ish items like bike helmets, light camp chairs and body boards etc. I am concious of the payload restrictions so am hesitant to invest in a towbar but wondered if i could use something else, even off the bikerack as we only use less than 30kg of the bike racks 45kg limit. Or if anyone has fitted a towbar, what impact has it had on payload ?

Would be good to hear other peoples solutions for this bulky stuff which takes up valuable room inside and is always in the way ..... thinking now same may apply to any Cali so maybe asked in the wrong spot.

Apologies for the long winded post.

Thanks in Advance

This is the only thing that I know of : Brandrup Flexbag Cargo

Interesting that you can still carry bikes, though the California Exckusive bike rack is only for 3 bikes ..... must measure the rack up to see if I can fit the kuds bike on with something like this.

Thanks

I use a Fiamma version of that bag, but it fills the rack. A Westfalia bc60 box will fit on a towbar underneath an Exclusive's rack. It's a little tight. I have photos if you consider going the towbar route.

It's quite an expensive solution, but may be worth while if you can use the bc60 bike rack on a 2nd vehicle too.

I use a Fiamma version of that bag, but it fills the rack. A Westfalia bc60 box will fit on a towbar underneath an Exclusive's rack. It's a little tight. I have photos if you consider going the towbar route.

It's quite an expensive solution, but may be worth while if you can use the bc60 bike rack on a 2nd vehicle too.

I just googled that .... That'd be a really nice setup, though a fair bit of expense esp as I'd need a towbar as well. Do you know how it affects your payload ?

Tho if I was keeping the van long term I might be able to justify it :)

Thanks for the details.

Thanks for all the ideas so far ....

Probably a daft idea but has enyone seen a high roof california with a small roofbox ?

I used to own a Westfalia California which was 3m high and then a roofbox on top of that ....

Most likely a daft idea but I have a small roof box that would be perfect and could work out the access.

Thanks

I need to bring kitesurf stuff with me, but do not want the sand and wet stuff in the car. So i added a Thule Motion XL and bougt a small telescopic latter that (after minor modifications) fits in the underseat drawer. This is a nice setup. Only backside is that i can not longer park in the parkinghouses or run the car thru the carwash with the box on top.

The Westfalia BC60 set-up. Only probably worth it if the bike rack underneath the box is of use on another vehicle
(next to) Last one shows the Fiamma bag, which weighs close to zero (nylon bag and thin space frame).

westyrack2.jpg

westyrack.jpg

10364169_716623491709850_2353563022122809538_n.jpg

20151020_124346.jpg

We use a Fiamma bag ( a soft waterproof bag) which fits very neatly along with two bikes on the rear cycle rack although I do have to remove the rear most pedals to make room for the bag . Without the (optional) frame it can be partly crushed flat and used with three bikes, but we don' t need to do this very often. It holds all manner of bulky or mucky items and gives the bikes some protection from the elements also. It also has the benefit of having a rear pocket for a red and white stripped warning board which completes the set up and apparently is considered mandatory in some countries.

My rack only has 3 rails, one of which is still 'sort of' available with the Fiamma bag and frame. Mike&agnes note (above) note that because the T5 vw rack is wider, it is more suitable to use as a bike AND bag system.

So with the likelihood that I'll be carrying 3 dogs and all their paraphernalia in the future I was looking at external storage. Also, with all three I am likely to be doing a Northern Ireland trip in June with a dutch friend and so need to accommodate all his kit and sleeping bag / mattress, etc. On top of that I'm being encouraged to 'go raw' for the dogs which will mean carrying an extra cool box (but even without opening any debate on that I am short one storage space).
At the moment I'm thinking the VW bike rack with external storage bag might be the best option. However, I keep 2 dogs in crates in the back so need to know if it's still possible to open tailgate and if so what the weight limit is for storage in the bag.
I did a bit of looking on Brandrup and the site here but other that seeing the weight limit for the bike rack didn't see anything about opening tailgate...
Thanks in advance

I did a bit of looking on Brandrup and the site here but other that seeing the weight limit for the bike rack didn't see anything about opening tailgate...
Thanks in advance
Thule easy base, max load 45kg:
You would have to empty the base before opening the tailgate.

I use a Thule Easybase with two Brompton bikes. This leaves plenty of room for more extra bags etc.

I saw one that swings out sides ways but now I can't find it, having a slidepod means anything that can swing out to the side is ideal for us. :) Anyone know of this make and model?

Makes more sense than on the roof for me as its easier to get at.

Thule easy base, max load 45kg:
You would have to empty the base before opening the tailgate.
Thanks - not very practical for my circumstances as dogs travel in the back - and don't want to have to empty it everytime we have a pit stop... but good to know there are more solutions out there...

Ahh found it
Would that be practical in a car park? Might take up a lot of room when trying to access tail gate?
I don't have tow bar so am feeling like the vw bike rack and brandrup box / bag is the way to go - but need to know if I can still open tail gate to let pooches out...

Alison, the bag attaches (assuming it's the same as my fiamma) to the bottom of the rack, as well as the side (against the window) so careful opening of the tailgate should be fine. Just check you've zipped up the top!
You may need a clothes prop to hold it raised with any weight on it.

I use one of these on a T5 bike rack: http://www.cactusnav.com/handiduffel-orange-p-20117.html it's a 135litre dry bag- can use it for dry storage on site and it folds up pretty small
290-HDUFFORANGE.jpg

Handiworld don't seem to be selling that size now but they do have this

http://www.handiworld.com/soft-roof-box/handiholdall.html

I had a handirack on my Alfa, inflatable roof rack basically, pretty good system. managed to transport a kayak on a car with no roof bar fittings (in fact a glass roof).

BAK RAK, its light weight and can carry nose weight of tow bar.

20150919_125706.jpg

20150919_125738.jpg

20140521_095221.jpg

20140521_095804.jpg

Ahh found it
Hello, very interested in this idea as we also have dogs and this would mean we would be able to get to them easily. Do you know anywhere that sells them in England as can only find American sites? TIA

How secure are the soft packs? Could you leave expensive sports gear overnight whilst I'm away from the van?

Back