Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

External Water Cap mount is broken - can it be fixed?

Hannick

Hannick

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi

Whilst replacing the external black water tank cap I found it would still come off even if it was locked.

The cap itself is fine but I noticed the part it fixes onto had a bit of the black plastic broken off.

Has anyone any experience of replacing this part as it is fixed to the bodywork and the water tube leading to the tank.

A DIY fix?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Nick

IMG_8102.jpg

IMG_8098-XL.jpg

It's held from the inside by speed nuts (x2) and the 220v connector. When I last bought the water filler neck in Feb 2014 it was £13.21 + Vat and the nuts were £0.36 each + VAT. Your problem will be accessing the rear (inside) of the side panel to get to the nuts, I guess the 220v connector will pull out when you remove the four screws allowing enough length of cable to disconnect and re-connect.
I know haw these fit because I use the Cali fitment on my self builds because they look so good. You can just see it on our camper in the avatar.

By the way, both lockable filler cap and 220v fitment can be replaced by propriety items from a caravan suppliers if you ever need to change them.

Rod

Perfect description Alan, I couldn't add the Cali specifics for obvious reasons.

Rod

Many thanks for this. The talent and knoledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me. Thank you so much.

Nick

Hi Nick
Exact same fault on mine unfortunately.
Can you confirm how you got yours fixed/what tools you needed etc. I am a novice when it comes to diy but just spent £2K at Lookers VW on other stuff so a bit reluctant to go straight back if I can do it myself!
Cheers
Tim

Hi Tim

The parts are still in the bag, waiting for a sunny day coinciding with me being in the mood to do it so I haven't done it yet.

I have funnily enough found the motivation to completely refit the interior of my MGC though!

Can you divulge what parts are needed and tools? Cheers!

I finally went ahead today, following Alan’s excellent instructions. I had put the job off for ages but had emptied the rear of the van to replace the leisure batteries so decided to take a deep breath and replace the filler cap surround.

I needn’t have worried, as it was an easy job. The only thing I struggled with was undoing the earth lead nut and fiddling the end off and on even that wasn’t too bad. Small hands and a small torch required.

A bit of lubrication on the water pipe to help it shuffle back on was a help.

Now the water cap fits as it should.

Back