Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extra drawer for under the folding bench T5

Cwtch_twt

Cwtch_twt

vwcalwales
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Has anyone bought the extra drawer for under the bench from Vwcampershop.nl? How does it fit and does it knock on the folded table when moving? Thanks!
92cf61e2719508e94cc698071f08ea38.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anyone bought the extra drawer for under the bench from Vwcampershop.nl? How does it fit and does it knock on the folded table when moving? Thanks!

Hi There... Yes I purchased one of these and was a little dubious when ordering, but thought it was worth a try and a lot less money than the genuine VW version. It is in fact really good and it looks just right when closed and provides some very useful extra space. When you first receive it and open it, it is a little underwhelming as it is light and made of blown plastic. BUT it works well and does the job perfectly for a good price. No it does not bang on the folding table really and just slides in nicely. I always guide it in biased to the left a little anyway just incase, but my wife uses it as normal and it works just fine. It does come with two rubber feet at the front which are designed to grip the floor and stop it sliding out I guess, but these are not very good and actually break up and fall off when you slide it in and out a few times, mine are completely gone, but it makes no difference and it does not slide out on its own at all. All in all 9 out of 10 I would give it. Hope that helps ? Nick

Oh and when you remove the existing plastic cover, you will be left with the two screw in guides that locate the original plastic cover, you do need to remove these to get the new drawer in. Mine actually broke off when I tried to undo them, but I did not care too much as I am not going to use the old cover again. I would imagine with a little more looking you can get these out without breaking them off, they seem to be screwed into the side of the existing seat base next to the drawer.

Hi There... Yes I purchased one of these and was a little dubious when ordering, but thought it was worth a try and a lot less money than the genuine VW version. It is in fact really good and it looks just right when closed and provides some very useful extra space. When you first receive it and open it, it is a little underwhelming as it is light and made of blown plastic. BUT it works well and does the job perfectly for a good price. No it does not bang on the folding table really and just slides in nicely. I always guide it in biased to the left a little anyway just incase, but my wife uses it as normal and it works just fine. It does come with two rubber feet at the front which are designed to grip the floor and stop it sliding out I guess, but these are not very good and actually break up and fall off when you slide it in and out a few times, mine are completely gone, but it makes no difference and it does not slide out on its own at all. All in all 9 out of 10 I would give it. Hope that helps ? Nick

Thanks Nick! Much appreciated.

I am sure somewhere I have seen a previous post about getting a thin open drawer to fit in the space under the bench seat. I seem to remember it was someone in Europe who has sourced one from Germany or somewhere similar? What I think I want is a plastic tray (with sides) that I can easily pull out but fit nicely in the gap. What I imagine is like a long plastic planter in grey - does anyone know where I can get such an item?

@ThomasHJ has suggested this very thing, so you probably have seen his post. If you can measure the opening size (accounting for the projecting studs that hold the cover) I'm sure that any garden centre will have a planter to suit.
@Herman posted about a box he made from Correx, giving the dimensions he used. It looks like a very neat solution.

Yes, @Vagophile is referring to post#14 in this thread. An example would be the one in the picture below which costs about 4 pounds at our local hardware store.

These are examples found in a quick search:

A slab of beers fits in there perfectly. Don't bother with that drawer.

Hi I've just come across your post, please can I ask where did you buy the draw? Thanks Paul

Hi I've just come across your post, please can I ask where did you buy the draw? Thanks Paul
I think this is at (Volkswagen) Campercentrum Nederland in Amersfoort, the Netherlands. They have a good selection of stuff

Thanks for reply, I will try find something suitable in UK.. maybe trial something before I spend a lot on a draw on retractable rails

The genuine Vw one has the advantage of moving with the bench.
We use that drawer for tea coffe & mugs, nothing worse than setting up the bed & realising you now can’t reach the drawer.

Back