Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extra Seat used!

Days out

Days out

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Well after 7 months I finally used my spare seat! Went in nicely and very useful. Very expensive for once every 7 months though!!!

IMG_6843.JPG

How often do you use your spare seats if applicable? Just out of interest

Well after 7 months I finally used my spare seat! Went in nicely and very useful. Very expensive for once every 7 months though!!!

View attachment 19213

Ours has been used once in 11 months. Christmas trip to the parents with all three kids. Only time we've all been in the van together as they are all students and away at Uni most of the time. So that's about 320 miles out of 7,500 driven so far.

But at least it has be used........

Twice in three months. Not a great return on the investment but both trips were excellent and meant our family of 3 could take another couple with us so wouldn't be without it.

Having the flexibility is key for me, and the fact I can now get it in and out much more easily.

It's other life is folded and covered over as a shoe stand in our back room

Very expensive for once every 7 months though!!!
Is it?

A four seat ocean costs about £50,000, so it could be argued it is £12,500 per seat; an extra seat is £310, so even if you just use the extra seat for 1 in 40 miles (e.g. 300 miles out of an annual 12,000 miles), you can make a financial argument that it represents good value for money.

Of course, there are other ways to calculate the relative value of extra seats - I'm just proposing one method.

My father have it on Ocean version. 5 years, never used.

If anyone would like to sell a seat, I'm willing and able to purchase - just saying :bananadance2

Last edited:
Is it?

A four seat ocean costs about £50,000, so it could be argued it is £12,500 per seat; an extra seat is £310, so even if you just use the extra seat for 1 in 40 miles (e.g. 300 miles out of an annual 12,000 miles), you can make a financial argument that it represents good value for money.

Of course, there are other ways to calculate the relative value of extra seats - I'm just proposing one method.

That's one way to look at it.

I've been doing a similar calculation based on sleeps.

I've done 19 nights away so far with four of us. 76 sleeps. Divide by the cost of the van and you get the room rate for the van.

Still more fun than a dingy B&B!!!

We used our fifth seat once. It was incredibly heavy and difficult to put in and even more difficult to get out, since when it has sat in the garage. We wonder if it is actually the correct seat for our P reg California SE TDI 180A. Does anyone know how to match up the label under the fifth seat part number with the appropriate vehicle or the best place for us to dispose of it? This website only seems to have vehicles not parts.

View attachment 19213

hi
just got myself a 5th seat and no instructions and struggling to fit...always easy when you know how....what is the trick to lift the silver sliding strips up to can get the seat feet in? many thanks

hi
just got myself a 5th seat and no instructions and struggling to fit...always easy when you know how....what is the trick to lift the silver sliding strips up to can get the seat feet in? many thanks
It takes a bit of a wiggle and a jiggle.

Slide them all the way forward then start wiggling and jiggling. They'll come out. Fitting the seat is a doddle once they are out.

thanks got that bit done but the easy bit you mention i'm not finding easy :) seat feet are in the black sliding runner groove but seat will not go back. sat in in using pull bar to ease back and just going a inch then stopping...any more advice/ help appreciated :)

Last edited:
Twice in three months. Not a great return on the investment but both trips were excellent and meant our family of 3 could take another couple with us so wouldn't be without it.
I used all seven seats in my Beach for the first time yesterday. 80 mile round trip out of a total 640 miles driven in total: one in eight miles.

thanks got that bit done but the easy bit you mention i'm not finding easy :) seat feet are in the black sliding runner groove but seat will not go back. sat in in using pull bar to ease back and just going a inch then stopping...any more advice/ help appreciated :)
Have you got the seat the right way round? (Not the swivel, that won't make a difference, but the whole seat.)

got smaller feet at rear and larger to front...will go a switch it around and try again
update:
tried that and defo got the seat facing right way as gap in rail is for smaller foot to slot in the back......

Last edited:
got smaller feet at rear and larger to front...will go a switch it around and try again
update:
tried that and defo got the seat facing right way as gap in rail is for smaller foot to slot in the back......
I cannot help. I put my seventh seat yesterday and it slid into place nice and easily once slotted in.

Just to check. Have you removed the plastic cover at the end of each rail and also completely removed the four silver parts (2 on each rail)? They need to be completely removed.

Then you should be able to drop the seat in and then slide it back (using the release lever) so that the gaps for the silver bits are completely exposed. Then re-fit the silver covers (they just push back in) and the end covers. Then slide the seat back forward to the position you want and rotate it to the direction you want.

We purchased our Cali Beach to use mainly to cart our grand children around in and as a family general purpose vehicle, oh and camper van. We have now had it for almost a year and most of the time it has five people in it. However Mrs B, who acts as ring master, usually sits in one of the swivel seats facing our three littleuns.
We also regularly use Bluebell Bus to take our family out on various trips. So our swivels get regular use. They are brilliant. We haven't used the integrated child seats yet though.

yes all parts removed as you've described the bit that hits a 'fail' is the moving the seat back so can reinsert the silver bits so the rail is covered over again. The seat just doesn't want to move back. It will sit down into the grooves via small gap and larger gap, will push slightly further forward and then back about an inch maybe two then like it hits a buffer/ is being blocked. Taken it out checked nothing there, poked fingers along and can feel ridges that correspond with feet on seat base.
Will try again in the morning as it will be something simple i am sure but i'd be dammed if it wanted to play ball this evening. It literally is in place but just stops after a short/small movement backwards. Sitting in the seat to use weight doesn't make it better. I find the bench seat moves back and forth better when sat on it.

All levers are working i.e.: bar to pull up to move back and forth, swivel and fold seat down not that last two are needed, but just establishing i know the difference :)
i know the knack to do this will be simple as once found out how to pull/slip silver bars out- simples. I even called VW to ask them....guess what they didn't know so I called another dealership and they were telling me to angle a screwdriver in and be forceful and rip them up!!! shocking advice :(
thanks appreciate your patience in trying to help with this....

We haven't used the integrated child seats yet though.
They are brilliant. So easy and simple to use, and Ben can do up his own seat belt. Jack is still too small for the Group 2/3 integrated seat, but it won't be long - just another 5 lbs in weight, and then they'll be good until he's 80 lbs, probably aged about 9 years.

ench seat moves back and forth better when sat on it.

That's certainly true for the bench. Because the lever is at one side it tends to twist if not moved from the centre and the easiest way is to sit on it. I don't find that necessary for the single seat but there is still a slight twisting motion.

Are you managing to move it back over the fixed silver rails at all? Perhaps that's where it's fouling.

One other thought - have you removed the stop that is fixed to the rail to prevent the bench from going too far forward. I can't remember for sure but I think it is in the rail nearest the sink unit.

That's certainly true for the bench. Because the lever is at one side it tends to twist if not moved from the centre and the easiest way is to sit on it. I don't find that necessary for the single seat but there is still a slight twisting motion.

Are you managing to move it back over the fixed silver rails at all? Perhaps that's where it's fouling.

One other thought - have you removed the stop that is fixed to the rail to prevent the bench from going too far forward. I can't remember for sure but I think it is in the rail nearest the sink unit.
you're a star- yes the silver stop under the next rail covered by back rubber was stopping it. Always easy when you know how :) all sorted and installed and working as it should. Thanks to everyone that offered some assistance along the way. :)

you're a star- yes the silver stop under the next rail covered by back rubber was stopping it. Always easy when you know how :) all sorted and installed and working as it should. Thanks to everyone that offered some assistance along the way. :)
Glad you got it sorted. I removed the rear stop as well. That enables me to push the bench right back (with the parcel shelf removed).

Back