Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Facia upgrade

J

JJ Blue

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi everyone,
We have a T5, I believe it is a174bhp TDI SE, the predecessor to the Ocean. I stand to be corrected.
I would like to upgrade my current head unit, a Sony, to An RNS 510, which I have already purchased.
I know I can get a facia replacement which will accommodate the unit.
The problem I have is, the replacement is for a newer model which has the heating/electric seats controls located together, whereas, My vehicle has separate controls for the heated seats.
Is anyone able to point me in the right direction for a workaround or advice.
Thanks in advance.

I’ve looked at this as an option in order to have an upgraded head unit too, but in order to go down the ‘curved’ VW head unit I think you need to buy one of these.....

Was this what you had in mind?

I’ve decided not to venture down this route, but instead save up and put the money towards an Alpine Halo head unit in when the time comes.

The square cornered ins 510 might fit if you can cut out the rest
of the plastic as long as there are no metal pieces behind.
Can you just leave the wires out for the heated seats or does it not
work like that
images-21.jpeg

You have a normal double DIN dashboard.
Do you have a scrwed in and slightly curved RNS510 or the Multivan clicked in RNS510?
The Multivan one is much larger, and equals the T5 Multivan dashboard.

I’ve looked at this as an option in order to have an upgraded head unit too, but in order to go down the ‘curved’ VW head unit I think you need to buy one of these.....

I’ve decided not to venture down this route, but instead save up and put the money towards an Alpine Halo head unit in when the time comes.

Hi Big Ted,
I had seen this kit online previously.
Given the price, and the indication that it was mostly likely to be left to a professional to instal, I dismissed it as bring too expensive.
Thanks for the pointer.

You have a normal double DIN dashboard.
Do you have a scrwed in and slightly curved RNS510 or the Multivan clicked in RNS510?
The Multivan one is much larger, and equals the T5 Multivan dashboard.
Hi Triplebee,
It's the slightly curved screw in version I have.
It may be that with a careful bit of cutting and fettling it could be made to fit without looking too awful.
Does anyone on this thread know how to go about removing the existing facia without damaging it ?

The square cornered ins 510 might fit if you can cut out the rest
of the plastic as long as there are no metal pieces behind.
Can you just leave the wires out for the heated seats or does it not
work like that
View attachment 50221
Hi Westfalia,
I wish I knew what was possible.
If I could figure out how to remove the existing facia without damage I would have a go, but until I have some idea if that's possible,I'm a bit loath to do so.

This might help, i know its a different dash but removing the fascia
is the same.

This might help, i know its a different dash but removing the fascia
is the same.
Thanks very much Westfalia.
That certainly gives me a good idea of how to remove.
I don't feel so intimidated to have a go now.

If your dash has the screw points, or at least you could put the radio in, and fix it, you can try to paper draw the contours of the radio and cut that out in paper. Place it over the facia, and dremel it out?
Let us know how it goes.

If your dash has the screw points, or at least you could put the radio in, and fix it, you can try to paper draw the contours of the radio and cut that out in paper. Place it over the facia, and dremel it out?
Let us know how it goes.
Let us know how it goes.
Hi Triple bee,
That's my intention.Fingers crossed!