Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

factory extended warranty -- does it need to be transferred to a new owner or is that automatic?

highroad

highroad

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi folks,
I'm selling my 2019 Beach as I'm leaving the country. I have the 2 year, 80k factory extended warranty purchased within 90 days of first registration. I know this warranty is fully transferrable to new and subsequent owners, but what I'm having trouble understanding is whether this is automatic, e.g., it just goes with the chassis number, or whether I have to do something to tell VW who the new owner is. I tried calling VW but they were useless. Can anyone speak from experience here or point me toward something authoritative?
thanks!

Suggest an email or call to VW.

As the dealer can log on to the details on their system I would suspect it is registered to the van but you check with the dealer as @ArunAlec suggests

Thanks. I had already tried that, as I said in my post. The guy I spoke to had literally never heard of the factory extended warranty.

From VW website:
//
The Warranty can be transferred to the next owner of the car by using the advice slip in the warranty handbook. The transfer fee is £17.50 including VAT.
//

It’s the van, that’s registered

Do you have to original paper receipt? This is sometimes the only confirmation

Vw seem not to log them on their system sometimes

From VW website:
//
The Warranty can be transferred to the next owner of the car by using the advice slip in the warranty handbook. The transfer fee is £17.50 including VAT.
//
Never heard of a warranty hand book ?

Thanks. I had already tried that, as I said in my post. The guy I spoke to had literally never heard of the factory extended warranty.
Did you go to VW or the dealer?

Yes, I bought our 2017 Ocean in 2018 and filled in the 'Notification of change of ownership or details card' from the back of the VW Roadside Assistance booklet in the book pack.

I did not have top pay any fee.

I do have a spare copy of the VW Roadside Assistance booklet, and am prepared to scan the card should you require it. Let me know.

I never received any confirmation of the change, but have been able to have a number of successful warranty claims since then.

Also, I received an email offering a 1 year extended warranty around 1 month before the standard 3 year warranty expired. I presume they got my email address from the completed card.

I filled that form in when we took ownership of our van, no response whatsoever and phoning was also a pointless exercise.

The dealers have it recorded on one of two systems, it’s the van that’s logged not the owner.
Two systems : that is why sometimes VW cannot find a record, in which case politely ask themto check the Elsa database.

It may be worth asking your local dealer to check their database before the sale and ask them to drop you an email to confirm.

Failing that the original paper copy (receipt) will be prove of the EW.

i wonder why these amazing extended warranties only seem to exist in the UK. You get one year here in Belgium and no way of paying for more as far as I am aware. My van was a fair bit cheaper to be fair, but servicing here seems to be about twice the price. (i'll be going to Breeze to get mine done I think, when i am over in August)

From VW website:
//
//

Thanks. It looks like that is for the DasWelt warranty on used cars and/or the 'extended warranty', which is confusingly named given it's different from the 'factory extended warranty' which my van has.

Yes, I bought our 2017 Ocean in 2018 and filled in the 'Notification of change of ownership or details card' from the back of the VW Roadside Assistance booklet in the book pack.

I did not have top pay any fee.

I do have a spare copy of the VW Roadside Assistance booklet, and am prepared to scan the card should you require it. Let me know.

I never received any confirmation of the change, but have been able to have a number of successful warranty claims since then.

Also, I received an email offering a 1 year extended warranty around 1 month before the standard 3 year warranty expired. I presume they got my email address from the completed card.

Thanks. I do have that, although it looks to be for the roadside assistance not the warranty. Thanks for the offer of a scan though. It looks like it just goes with the vehicle, which makes sense, since I have never heard of a dealership asking to see ownership/identification when you bring a van in. That would be crazy especially with commercial vehicles which (usually) have loads of different drivers, etc.