Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory Extended Warranty

That's what I was thinking, if that is correct it's a no brainer! The standard extended warranty on the Cali ( if you take it out at the end of 3 years) is over £1,500 per year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quoted approx £660 for 1 year (yesterday) no 2 year option just a year at a time.

I had intended to take extended warranty at purchase but dealer said that they didn't do it and VW would contact me directly. Service package taken out. No contact received and by the time I chased it with VW they refused to do it as I'd unknowingly gone past the 3 months from purchase limit.
Misinformed by the Dealer costing me.

Last edited:
Quoted approx £660 for 1 year (yesterday) no 2 year option just a year at a time.

I had intended to take extended warranty at purchase but dealer said that they didn't do it and VW would contact me directly. Service package taken out. No contact received and by the time I chased it with VW they refused to do it as I'd unknowingly gone past the 3 months from purchase limit.
Misinformed by the Dealer costing me.
Same scenario happened to us :(

Same scenario happened to us :(

I really wonder if the dealers have no incentive to sell these (or they think they will make more by fixing out of warranty vans) Does VW not pay them a decent hourly rate for warranty work? Our dealer was also negative about why we would want to spend good money on the 3 year extension but very keen to flog gap insurance and a couple of other snake oil add ons. Glad I pushed them into selling me it.

I had a very good experience with a warranty claim at SMG Tonbridge today.

Amarillo went in for its first MOT. I had been concerned by a slight exhaust smell when idling, so I asked them to check that.

They pre-ordered an ERG pipe, and fitted that under warranty.

Amarillo failed its MOT on a shock absorber leak.

They supplied and fitted a new shock absorber under warranty.

My standard three year warranty is very nearly up, we now move onto the two year or 80,000 mile extension. Current mileage is 53,000 miles; now we have a second car, it's a toss up over what we reach first, 80,000 miles or five years.

I went online to take up the Extended Warranty as offered in an email received from VWCS and as part of the process was referred to the terms and Conditions, took some reading and full of exclusions on what's covered.

bits excluded that I didn't like the look off were - limit of £2,500 for a repair - hoses and pipes - any parts deemed wear and tear (engine, gearbox, brake system, steering, suspension) - DPF and emission system.

One of those documents best to read yourself if clarification required.

Main fact that found that if any modification after Factory Delivery means that it will not be acceptable for a VW Extended Warranty.
As I have modified suspension on my Cali VWCS say that it falls into the Modified Vehicle Classification. ARB's etc. I asked and that was the answer. I did clarify that I wasn't expecting the modified components to be included/covered by the VW warranty.

Seems VW prefer to alienate Customers.

I went online to take up the Extended Warranty as offered in an email received from VWCS and as part of the process was referred to the terms and Conditions, took some reading and full of exclusions on what's covered.

bits excluded that I didn't like the look off were - limit of £2,500 for a repair - hoses and pipes - any parts deemed wear and tear (engine, gearbox, brake system, steering, suspension) - DPF and emission system.

Main fact that found that if any modification after Factory Delivery means that it will not be acceptable for a VW Extended Warranty.
As I have modified suspension on my Cali VWCS say that it falls into the Modified Vehicle Classification. ARB's etc. I asked and that was the answer. I did clarify that I wasn't expecting the modified components to be included/covered by the VW warranty.

How far does that logic on modifications go though? If I get a tow bar fitted is it suggesting it would void the entire warranty or just anything that failed as a result of a tow bar install?

How far does that logic on modifications go though? If I get a tow bar fitted is it suggesting it would void the entire warranty or just anything that failed as a result of a tow bar install?
I went to a VW dealer to get my tow bar retrofitted with VW parts and and email to prove covered under extended warranty. Had problems with 12V sockets and took into dealer (at 3.5 years) and was initially told ‘not covered’... but I had email to prove otherwise so eventually all sorted under extended warranty, including issues created by VW dealership fitting the tow bar at 2.5 years old.
It’s a no brainer for me. Get the extended warranty at purchase and stick to VW approved garages until the 5 years are up...

The Extended Warranty purchased within 3 months of vehicle registration is completely different to the Warranty offered at 3 years or at 5 yrs if you purchased the Factory Warranty Extension at purchase.
The Warranty offered at the end of the Factory Warranty is Insurance based with many exclusions and cash limits on what will be accepted.
It can be expensive.

The Extended Warranty purchased within 3 months of vehicle registration is completely different to the Warranty offered at 3 years or at 5 yrs if you purchased the Factory Warranty Extension at purchase.
The Warranty offered at the end of the Factory Warranty is Insurance based with many exclusions and cash limits on what will be accepted.
It can be expensive.
Agree with that. I had been under the impression that the offer from VW would for the same level of warranty cover whether taking out on purchase or at the end of the 3 year period warranty.

Searching through alternative (which all seem better than VW's offering) Extended Warranties they offered various payout limits and items covered or European travel time limits (60 days in total per year).

I had 4 factors that I considered essential; sensible maximum repair cost, European cover as I spend up to 3 months per year in France, emission system including the Adblue (relatives Audi racked up a £8K+ bill sorting out an emission/adblue fault), air suspension not being classed as a modification meaning vehicle excluded from all cover.

I now have full electrics cover, all air con system, all emissions systems and sensors, all transmission, all suspension including the air suspension system plus unlimited European travel cover. £10,000 repair limit. can use VW for repairs.

I've done a 3 year package as any unused period can be sold on with the Cali (a good selling point) or frozen/transferred to another vehicle.

Warrantywise in my case which is actually cheaper than the limited VW offering. Just what suited me but may not suit others.
Best deals available if warranty follows original 3 year VW one.
Any gap can have cover delays or reduced levels. like all insurance it pays to read the coverage details, don't assume anything.

Yep I purchased it on my Cali before the 3 month from registration time limit came into effect. 5 years or 80,000 miles whichever comes first.

Agree with that. I had been under the impression that the offer from VW would for the same level of warranty cover whether taking out on purchase or at the end of the 3 year period warranty.

Searching through alternative (which all seem better than VW's offering) Extended Warranties they offered various payout limits and items covered or European travel time limits (60 days in total per year).

I had 4 factors that I considered essential; sensible maximum repair cost, European cover as I spend up to 3 months per year in France, emission system including the Adblue (relatives Audi racked up a £8K+ bill sorting out an emission/adblue fault), air suspension not being classed as a modification meaning vehicle excluded from all cover.

I now have full electrics cover, all air con system, all emissions systems and sensors, all transmission, all suspension including the air suspension system plus unlimited European travel cover. £10,000 repair limit. can use VW for repairs.

I've done a 3 year package as any unused period can be sold on with the Cali (a good selling point) or frozen/transferred to another vehicle.

Warrantywise in my case which is actually cheaper than the limited VW offering. Just what suited me but may not suit others.
Best deals available if warranty follows original 3 year VW one.
Any gap can have cover delays or reduced levels. like all insurance it pays to read the coverage details, don't assume anything.

Have you looked at the google reviews for warrantywise?

Despite what some dealer's service departments will tell you, the Factory Extended Warranty offers exactly the same cover as the initial three year warranty.

Despite what some dealer's service departments will tell you, the Factory Extended Warranty offers exactly the same cover as the initial three year warranty.
I wonder why dealers are often dismissal or even deny the warranty exits when it is obviously a terrific bargain?

I've also put this question to Parkway Leicester. I'll post the outcome.
Got it with our new ocean in September but had to ask. 80k over 5 years is great for us and is not an under used mileage. It's also transferred to the new owner if you sell your van just the same as the warranty.

I wonder why dealers are often dismissal or even deny the warranty exits when it is obviously a terrific bargain?
Who knows. One reason I can think of is that the dealer service department ends up footing the bill if VW refuse to pay out. You wouldn't have thought this would be an issue but sadly it can be. Since claims can reduce their department's profits, I suspect that service departments aren't particular fans of this product.

All I can tell you is that the FEW is well worth having but be prepared for what seems to be the standard fob off if you need to make a claim, "Sorry that's not covered under the FEW". I have now experienced this several times but after querying the FEW terms with VW Customer Services I can confirm that they, the terms that is, are quite clear. The FEW provides exactly the same level of cover as the original warranty. So if a camping chair breaks within the first three years and is replaced under the original warranty then the same would apply for the duration of the FEW.

Last edited:
Back