Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory fit Sat Nav is rubbish

I always choose the top one on the list: can’t remember the colour. First time I fell for it and was beaten to Strensham services by something I’d passed earlier..last time I ignored it and there were no delays.
You need to read the manual but, from memory, the top one is the shortest route (by distance) so if going off at a slip road and back on cuts a corner, that’s where it will take you.

The SatNav is only a Black Box computer system, fairly simple in operation. Needs a brain to get the best out of it. AI for the car isn't there yet.

You need to read the manual but, from memory, the top one is the shortest route (by distance) so if going off at a slip road and back on cuts a corner, that’s where it will take you.
Ah that will be it then thanks. You’d have thought they’d put the one that 99% of the people want at the top.

The list and order is:
The most economical route will be in blue
The fastest route in red
The shortest route in orange.

Apparently you can turn off the suggestions so it defaults to the fastest.

Last night I checked apple maps to Eurotunnel. 1hr 30mins.
Worked out the time I needed to wake and leave to make my crossing.

In the morning set SatNav.
2hrs 10mins. Slightly concerned I wasn’t going to make my crossing. I double checked on Google Maps.
1hr 25mins.

So confirmed.
T6 Sat Nav is utter rubbish.
Might add. On my way to destination it took me on a journey just over 5hrs.
Google maps had predicted under 4 hrs when I had checked the week before departure.

Last night I checked apple maps to Eurotunnel. 1hr 30mins.
Worked out the time I needed to wake and leave to make my crossing.

In the morning set SatNav.
2hrs 10mins. Slightly concerned I wasn’t going to make my crossing. I double checked on Google Maps.
1hr 25mins.

So confirmed.
T6 Sat Nav is utter rubbish.
Might add. On my way to destination it took me on a journey just over 5hrs.
Google maps had predicted under 4 hrs when I had checked the week before departure.
Have you set it up correctly. On my RNS510 I can select basically how close I stick to speed limits which will relate to how accurate the route time estimation is.

So how long did your journey take?

Have you set it up correctly. On my RNS510 I can select basically how close I stick to speed limits which will relate to how accurate the route time estimation is.

So how long did your journey take?

The journey took actually what Google maps predicted.
Had I followed the SatNav, I would have been very close to missing the 45mins check in before departure.

I had dynamic routing set. This is now off.
I will see what difference that makes going forward.
Otherwise, I set my journeys to fastest.
Nothing else is selected, like avoiding motorways and tolls etc.

Must note.
I never had issue with the old SatNav on the T5.1 GP. I think it was the RNS 310

Maybe consider an inexpensive CarPlay/android auto equipped head unit?

I swapped my dinosaur RNS 510 a few years ago for an Alpine head unit and I’ve never looked back. Most car manufacturers seem to be a decade behind with their user interfaces.

The idea is that as you’re already well used to your phones UI, the head unit that uses the same UI and apps is intuitively the same as your phone. One thing to learn. All of the sat nav apps are very accurate and you can swap and choose the one you prefer.

When you add in the benefits of the various music or podcast services it’s just so easy and does away with the need for DAB too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve updated to the latest version.
Will see if there are any improvements ...