Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

FACTORY FITTED AWNING

J

JDWB

Hi,

First of all, sorry if this sounds a bit stilted, but I am new to this forum lark. Just been away for the weekend to Filey with the California (Nellie) which we bought new last September(It isn't our first outing in her). We have recently bought awning sides (all three) as advertised on this site and wanted to try them out. When we got to the site we set it all up and then it rained and the roof part of the awning started catching water and a bulge started. The type you get at home in your ceiling when you have developed a water leak upstairs. I quickly pushed the water off and decided I had to take the awning and sides down in the pouring rain (It was 11pm so couldn't go to bed and leave it like this). So my question to the forum is how tight is your awning roof. Mine is very slack even though the mechanism is fully extended. Should it be like this or should it be tighter like a drum skin. If you have to think wether it is going to rain every time you put the awning up you are then down to putting it all up in the morning and taking down again each night.

Regards
Dave (Nellie's mahoot)

They aren't very tight, but when you extended the awning fully, just rewind half a turn to put some tension into it.

When it's raining, you need to angle the awning. I extend one side and lower the other, this helps most of the excess water to run off. The design of these awnings is to be more of a sun canopy than full weather protection, so in bad weather they are compromised slightly.

Also beware winds above around Force 6.

We use ours a lot; I don't like the look of them when retracted but well worth having. The tension thing is a bit odd but as above, wind it back a bit. Be very careful with the front door too; easy to catch it on the awning; best to make the front end higher to prevent this happening.

It's a decent awning though having seem plenty of aftermarket ones that don't look as good.

I have recently discovered the Fiamma Rafter Pro - it is a curved rafter and is the right size and shape to fit the factory awning. It will also provide a central point to hang stuff and attach a light.

It is meant to fit other awning makes, and it looks like it does to me...

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Acces ... Rafter-Pro

Went to the Newbury Motorhome show yesterday hoping to get a deal on one, but only one person had them and they didn't take cards!

I reckon it's going to work a treat - look to pay £45 delivered, online.

The offical tie down kit is ace - look for Omnistor tie down kit, about £20

Cheers
Ian

Tayls said:
I have recently discovered the Fiamma Rafter Pro - it is a curved rafter and is the right size and shape to fit the factory awning. It will also provide a central point to hang stuff and attach a light.

It is meant to fit other awning makes, and it looks like it does to me...

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Acces ... Rafter-Pro

Went to the Newbury Motorhome show yesterday hoping to get a deal on one, but only one person had them and they didn't take cards!

I reckon it's going to work a treat - look to pay £45 delivered, online.

The offical tie down kit is ace - look for Omnistor tie down kit, about £20

Cheers
Ian

I was talking to Choplee about this at COTF, but we didn't know for sure it would work with the Cali awning.

Well I intend to get one as I'm fairly certain it will, need one by June, so I will post my findings on here. Can't see any reason why it won't work, tbh.

Why did you and Lee think it might not?

Happy to be the guinea pig :D

Ian

Tayls said:
Well I intend to get one as I'm fairly certain it will, need one by June, so I will post my findings on here. Can't see any reason why it won't work, tbh.

Why did you and Lee think it might not?

Happy to be the guinea pig :D

Ian

We thought it should work, be good to know how you get on with it though :thumb

Thanks for everybodys advice. I've actually invested in a Fiamma Rafter Pro aswell. I has two advantages, one because the rafter is curved and the other With it in situ it acts as a stop for when you wind the awning back in so you can get it that little bit tighter. However the instructions with the rafter are quick to point out that the awnings are really a sun shade and not a roof to repel heavy rain or snow!

Dave

My Rafter arrived today, so will give it a run out this weekend...

Have you fitted yours Dave?

Ian

Hi Ian,
I set the awning and rafter up in the garage and it appears to do the job. Not going away this weekend but will try it the weekend after. We are going to go to the lakes. Its bound to rain there.

Dave

Any feed back on using the Fiamma Rafter Pro?