Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory fitted or conversion

K

KoalaCampers

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi guys

First time poster with a shorty but tricky question...

Is a vw factory fitted California better quality than a Cali from one of the many conversion companies?

I like the variety the conversions offer, but will they rattle and squeak more when on the move? Also do factory standard Cali's have better resale?

I smell this may be a real division in the community?

P.s. I'm looking at new Ocean 2017, but at over 50k I'm starting to doubt the cost Vs a cheaper conversion, tampering etc...

Cheers,

Ross

Hi guys

Is a vw factory fitted California better quality than a Cali from one of the many conversion companies?

I like the variety the conversions offer, but will they rattle and squeak more when on the move? Also do factory standard Cali's have better resale?

P.s. I'm looking at new Ocean 2017, but at over 50k I'm starting to doubt the cost Vs a cheaper conversion, tampering etc...

Cheers,

Ross
First things first - Welcome. :thumb

I expect you will get many replies to your questions and in them you will have differing views!

I rented two conversions before buying a VW Cali. They didn't squeak or rattle any more or less than the Cali but the quality of the fixtures and fittings were not a patch on the VW. Some aspects were down right crude.

The Cali will have a better resale value in terms of residuals and recently some folk have actually made profits from their sales!

Yes an Ocean will be over £50k but a like for like spec conversion will cost you about the same if not more! I certainly had one converter who actively told me not to expect to pay less!!

I also worried about the corrosion aspect of the the body. Converters have to cut a hole in the roof - is this covered by VW corrosion warranty?

The VW version certainly has more cache than a conversion.

At the end of the day you pays your money etc.....yes you can specify a bespoke layout/colour scheme and have the sliding door on the nearside but nothing will substitute a genuine VW Cali.

I am three months into ownership and know I made the right decision. (Others may have a different view and that's fine........)

All the best.

Cheers Jabby, a good first shot off the bow. A downside of a brand new Cali is waiting time, or lack or nearly new stock. Surely if the dealers had stock they would sell.... I can only see 2 new Cali oceans for sale in stock in the whole auk..... unless I'm missing something

Isn't there a similar waiting time if you want a specific conversion on the right base van?

The conversion guys seem to have 20 to 30 vans in stock each, with about 10 being 'brand new'. whereas vw dealers have virtually none. Just seemed strange to me, that plus you go to a commercial van dealer for a highly personal vehicle. I get the feeling the conversion guys are cleaning up by having a much more friendly customer service. I tried to contact vw about which dealer in London they would recommend for a Cali appointment, but they had no idea.

Sorry, the above are random thoughts.

I actually don't think the options list for the vw Cali is that long, nothing compared to a merc s class. Many of the options are obvious, and should be standard (as with many german cars), if they had 2 or 3 ocean spec levels as standard and rolled out some stock it would work more smoothly.....

Anyway, I do love what I have seen from the vw factory and some of the lwb retro style conversions. Just wondered what you experts thought before I trade in my vw golf and splash the savings

One will depreciate like a 70s Italian car, the other is a Cali.

Welcome ,
as 9/10 on here are California owners you will not get the answer you look for.....
Been discussed here many times and we even have previous converted van owners now owning a Cali .
It all depends on your needs and wiches. A Cali comes as it is , a converted van comes in more diffrent set ups , whats the best i can not say .....i have a Cali and love it!

The conversion guys seem to have 20 to 30 vans in stock each, with about 10 being 'brand new'. whereas vw dealers have virtually none.

I think that answers a couple of your questions, if you buy an Ocean at the correct price you will lose virtually nothing over 2 years due to demand, some people have even made a profit. Also do you really want grey carpeted walls?

I can only tell you my extensive research at the time and why we chose Cali
1) Depreciation
2) Built in blinds, not curtains or screens
3) Chairs and tables stowed in doors - small but important difference to space available
4) Cupboards are all ali not wood
5) If you ever have ambitions for a grand tour you are more likely to get spares for the camper part anywhere in Europe
6) Gas bottle is contained in the water tank, protection from explosions and vehicle accidents above others.
7) No ugly vents on the bodywork
8) No "bump" where you can see a pop top roof (at least compared to some!)
9) Carpeted walls? EW!

Basically every conversion we looked at looked like someone had thrown some cupboards in the back and hastily added a leisure battery system and inverter (some of which were on display for some reason!) and were strapping chairs and tables all over the place. IMHO the Cali cupboards look "complete" and built in compared to conversions and there are a lot of well engineered/clever solutions, albeit that VW didn't think them all up

Hi guys

Cheers,

Ross
Hi, I asked myself that same question some time ago. Over and above the comments provided by others, l was surprised at the fact the conversions came out more expensive than my eventual purchase.

Grey carpet walls? And then there's the fluffy stuff that comes off the carpet walls that appear after only a few uses of the copious amounts of fixings provided by the ubiquitous velcro!

Most of the conversion companies use the standard transporter model as there base van, which is a standard workhorse vehicle not designed to be a high end campervan.

You're asking the 'converted' (boom, tish!) but the honest answer is "it depends". Calis are generally stock standard items, but conversions are a very broad church, from vans-with-a-mattress to Starck yachts & anything is possible.

Having moved from one to t'other though I'd say the biggest benefit of the factory van is the roof & closure. Fibreglass doesn't go rusty but it will rattle / squeak / let in wind noise.

Go & play in as many as you can and buy what suits best.

EDIT: I re-read the OP & didn't see the £50K part. At the higher / newer / bought-not-built end I'd obvs go factory!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback guys! You have all more or less reinforced my own thoughts, which is great.

Now I just need to source one. My auto trader addiction is only going to get worse haha!

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again.

KoalaCampers

Back