Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory fitted phone kit

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi all, I'm curious about the factory fitted phone kits that came with the T4 California's. Was the kit fitted in the wiring loom and left in such a way that different cradles for different phone could be plugged in? If anybody had such a kit fitted it would be cool if you could let me know what you know about it.
Regards Padraic.

Surely any factory fitted kit in the T4 would be totally Stone Age in terms of modern compatability?! :)

Surely any factory fitted kit in the T4 would be totally Stone Age in terms of modern compatability?! :)
Absolutely, unless the owner had a compatible phone and was still using it. I'm just curious about the setup from the factory. I'm hoping to view a few calis in the near future and I'd like to be able to spot if they have had factory fitted phone kits.

I've got to remove one from the families old T4 taxi caravelle. Its got the cradle for the old Nokia 5110 if thats the same as yours? I've got all the old taxi gubbins to remove too but its looks like a complete mess. I've just fitted a bluetooth head unit in my cali and its great. Just rip the old gear out! :)

From the information provided on the westfaliat4info website, the following info is given,
"Preparation for telephone installation. Cost 371 Euro"
"Telephone installation -as above but includes Nokia 6210 mobile phone. Cost 887 Euro"

So from this info, I'm assuming the preparation for telephone installation, is the wiring in the loom, for power, speakers and antenna, etc.
I presume that the cradle for various types of phone could then be fitted and plugged in, hence the second line of text from the westfaliat4info website, "Telephone installation -as above but includes Nokia 6210 mobile phone. Cost 887 Euro"

So I'm just wondering if anyone has removed such a kit and can they confirm that my assumption of the way the kit is fitted is correct? If I am correct it would be just a matter of unplugging the cable of the cradle and then physically removing the cradle.

Any body have a phone cradle that they removed from their cali that they want rid of? One suitable for a nokia 6310i would be what I'm after.

I took great pleasure in removing mine.

It's landfill. Why would you want it?

If I recall, the cradle had a culrly flexi lead with a plug on the end. It's mating socket is in the loom up under the dash just to the right of the steering wheel.

I took great pleasure in removing mine.

It's landfill. Why would you want it?
I have a nokia 6310i and I thought it might be a good retro look to have the phone and cradle.

If I recall, the cradle had a culrly flexi lead with a plug on the end. It's mating socket is in the loom up under the dash just to the right of the steering wheel.
Yea I think that is the way it fitted.

I've seen some kits on Ebay in Germany for sale, so I might be able to get one there. Lots of them look like they are made by Cullman. I must check first and see if my Cali is wired to accept one.

I've got the phone still if you want it?

So I've had a look under the dash and behind the fuse box. No sign of any suitable connector for a phone cradle. Unless I missed it or couldn't find it.

So my camper may not have a suitable loom for a phone cradle. So It may be a waste of time getting a cradle, or bothering with this.

Not one to give up on an idea, I've sourced the wiring loom and control unit for the factory fitted phone kit. It looks like that the unit is wired to a power supply and also in to the audio of the radio. It has a separate mic and antenna.
Before I buy this, I'm looking for information from anyone who has or had one fitted to their T4.
Where was the antenna and mic fitted?
Anyone who may have removed the phone cradle from theirs, would it be possible to have a look to see where the red colored control unit is mounted, I know this is a lot to ask, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
I know some might say its daft fitting this old technology, but I'm in to this kind of stuff that came factory fitted. It might end up having a cool retro look in a few years.

Not one to give up on an idea, I've sourced the wiring loom and control unit for the factory fitted phone kit. It looks like that the unit is wired to a power supply and also in to the audio of the radio. It has a separate mic and antenna.
Before I buy this, I'm looking for information from anyone who has or had one fitted to their T4.
Where was the antenna and mic fitted?
Anyone who may have removed the phone cradle from theirs, would it be possible to have a look to see where the red colored control unit is mounted, I know this is a lot to ask, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
I know some might say its daft fitting this old technology, but I'm in to this kind of stuff that came factory fitted. It might end up having a cool retro look in a few years.
Ok I can help with the mic and antenna.

The mic is in the head lining trim panel just above and to the left of your head. You may need to source a new trim panel?
I'll photo later.

The antenna, I assume is part of the GPS unit mounted on the roof directly above the rear view mirror and under the pop top.

The cradle I chucked in the bin I'm afraid.
I may still have the power supply as I recall only unplugging the curly wire and not fully disconnecting it.

Good man Sidepod,
Yea I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the head lining trim.
As for the antenna, Ill ask the seller to explain this further for me.
The power supply consists of the a control unit part number 7D0 035 729 B, there is a wiring loom which I presume is wired in the the fuse box for power and in to the radio loom to use the speakers and mute the radio. Probably quite a lot of hassle to remove I'd say.
Here is a pic of what I'm thinking of buying.
$_57.JPG
This looks like everything I need except the cradle, easy enough to pick up on ebay.de

Prob don't need the panel? Just the mic and cut a hole.

IMG_2455.JPG
IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG
Prob don't need the panel? Just the mic and cut a hole.

View attachment 23804
View attachment 23805
Good man, yea it looks easy enough. I might need to source the plastic cover for the mic that's shown in the pic as I didn't see it in the photo of the parts I'm going to buy. If it's possible can you check if there is a part number on it?
The antenna looks like a tricky job, as you said it's part of the gps antenna that sits outside the roof. I think it will have to live under the dash in mine.

Okay I have sourced most of the parts I need to fit this kit. Still missing the Mic but it should be easy enough to source.
I'm hoping to get started fitting this on Thursday.
I'm looking for some help with the wiring. The wiring loom is long enough that it looks like it is feed towards the fuse box area. All of the connectors are present so it should be just plug and play.
If anyone is working under the dash of their Cali and has the phone interface still fitted could they take a look to see what way ye loom is wired? Otherwise it could be a guessing game.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So after getting help and advice here from people regarding fixes/improvements, I thought I'd report back on the outcome, so that it may help others when they search back through old forum posts.

So I got the phone kit installed successfully, managed to find all the parts on eBay in Germany.
It was just a matter of plugging everything in and its worked perfect.
Its old school, but I just divert my iPhone to it when im driving to receive calls.

IMG_8356.JPG

Back