Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory Fitted Webasto Coolant Heater

Gazellio

Gazellio

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have a brand new 2017 California Beach and it has the Webasto Door Sticker etc. However I cannot find it! I have looked in engine bay and underneath and cannot see any smoke realease when starting on a cold morning. Can anybody advise where exactly the engine coolant Webasto Heater is located?

I have a brand new 2017 California Beach and it has the Webasto Door Sticker etc. However I cannot find it! I have looked in engine bay and underneath and cannot see any smoke realease when starting on a cold morning. Can anybody advise where exactly the engine coolant Webasto Heater is located?
L side of engine bay, towards the void below Passenger seat with exhaust exiting in Wheel arch. It is covered by a plastic under tray. It will only work if ambient temperature is 5c or less.
If cold enough, start engine. Idle for 5 mins and then switch off. The Webasto will continue to run for a few minutes. You should be able to hear it.

Yes thats whazt I thought anybody got any pictures I cannot really see/smell or see smoke!

L side of engine bay, towards the void below Passenger seat with exhaust exiting in Wheel arch. It is covered by a plastic under tray. It will only work if ambient temperature is 5c or less.
If cold enough, start engine. Idle for 5 mins and then switch off. The Webasto will continue to run for a few minutes. You should be able to hear it.

Paul , i think the coolant heater sits more to the rear , located in the underbody where the kitchensink is .
Ar we mixing up things or are things changed (T6 has thesame lay out) ?
You can see it in the pictures in my older post.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/cali-technical-tips-tricks.9457/

26694-891915e707d2e6889548dfc583b24116.jpg

webasto.jpg

Is the one to the rear the camping/cabin heater location and the Engine Coolant Thermo Top under passenger seat area?

The Engine heater sits on the passenger side just behind the seat box you will not see it for the covers this is a picture of the rear end of it the exhaust is just visible on the right hand side of the picture.
I think it vents through a hole in the plastic cover. this on a 2014 Beach.

webasto heater.PNG

Found: As mentioned above the 2017 Webasto (Factory Engine Coolant Heater Only) is located directly under the passenger seat and is enclosed in a plastic casing with the exhaust exiting the casing on the inner/drivers side as seen very clearly below: 20171211_150533.jpg

Found: As mentioned above the 2017 Webasto (Factory Engine Coolant Heater Only) is located directly under the passenger seat and is enclosed in a plastic casing with the exhaust exiting the casing on the inner/drivers side as seen very clearly below: View attachment 28283
So does yours work?

Well I assume so I can hear it and smell it but no visible smoke but then its a new unit and should not smoke they start to smoke when they get slightly coked up.

Well I assume so I can hear it and smell it but no visible smoke but then its a new unit and should not smoke they start to smoke when they get slightly coked up.
You can get steam/condensate depending on temperature and humidity. Perfectly normal if you do.

When I first got my Cali it was early winter and I didn't know I had a coolent heater, went to get the kids from school one cold frosty day, thought the van was on fire there was all this smoke coming out from underneath scared me to death.

Today there was steam or condensation where the exhaust was hitting the freezing drive. Thanks WelshGas.its working great.

Anyone had it serviced and how much did it cost?

Mine is blowing a massive amount of blue smoke when it kicks in

You can get steam/condensate depending on temperature and humidity. Perfectly normal if you do.

Any ideas WelshGas ?

On our recent Nordkapp trip whilst in temp range +2c to probably -5c I noticed that the engine coolant which normally stays at 90c once engine warm would occasionally drop to around 80c when on long mountain descents . Should the engine coolant heater cut in in this situation ? I don’t know if it did as no way of knowing . I’m not certain whether I was coasting but probably in manual as on icy descents . I did switch coasting off when very icy .

Coolant heaters normally are only operative during the start up process. Water temp control thermostat takes over to control the water/engine temp afterwards.

Any ideas WelshGas ?

On our recent Nordkapp trip whilst in temp range +2c to probably -5c I noticed that the engine coolant which normally stays at 90c once engine warm would occasionally drop to around 80c when on long mountain descents . Should the engine coolant heater cut in in this situation ? I don’t know if it did as no way of knowing . I’m not certain whether I was coasting but probably in manual as on icy descents . I did switch coasting off when very icy .

Hi @Trebor the coolant heater will cut out once the coolant temperature reaches over 60 degrees. The temperature gauge dropping back on the engine you have is perfectly normal in cold climates as the engines are so thermaly efficient.

Any ideas WelshGas ?

Diesels run substantially cooler than petrol engines. So cooling on a descent is more than possible. As far as I am aware the Coolant Heater only fires up on First Startup if the ambient temperature is 5c or less and runs until Coolant temperature is about 60/70c. It does not restart whilst the Ignition is On.

Back