Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fan goes crazy after short journey

scimmiamagia!

scimmiamagia!

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Have a gfeeling I know the answer to this but what would cause the fan to go crazy after a short journey?

No problems when we drive a few miles but just to the shops and back, and the fan is incredibly loud when we get home, and runs after turning the engine off though not sure for how long.

Is this anything to do with the Particulate Filter, by any chance?

Have a gfeeling I know the answer to this but what would cause the fan to go crazy after a short journey?

No problems when we drive a few miles but just to the shops and back, and the fan is incredibly loud when we get home, and runs after turning the engine off though not sure for how long.

DPF regeneration aborted.

Read post#5

Sounds like you need to go for a long drive, over 1/2hr, to let a full regen process complete.
A 40MPH + run not a sitting in traffic one,

Thanks all. Thought as much.

Never had such an issue in the Land Rover which was reputedly plagued by DPF problems when only used for school runs and shopping.

The van does generally get used once a week for long trips which is why I am surprised it’s happen if it’s related to the DPF.

Does that point to a bigger problem do you think?

Thanks all. Thought as much.

Never had such an issue in the Land Rover which was reputedly plagued by DPF problems when only used for school runs and shopping.

The van does generally get used once a week for long trips which is why I am surprised it’s happen if it’s related to the DPF.

Does that point to a bigger problem do you think?
I've had regens running when reaching my destination after a few hours running, annoying but just one of those things that you get used to. No need to worry in your case.

Occasionally drive on the highway for at least fifteen minutes with a lower gear & higher engine speed/ revs (also to prevent the engine from becoming clogged with the grease that is in today's diesel). Tip from the expert people at Camper Centrum Amersfoort.

Last edited:
Occasionally drive on the highway for at least fifteen minutes with a lower gear & higher engine speed/ revs (also to prevent the engine from becoming clogged with the grease that is in today's diesel). Tip from the expert people at Camper Centrum Amersfoort.
Mine is Tiptronic and I'm not at all confident about how to use that so I never have, so what's the best speed to travel to ensure regen?
Mine gets used for lots of short trips as it's my daily, and in summer it's fine as I do another of weekends away, but I do wonder about winter.
I have found that on short trips I get better mpg using premium diesel. I assume that means it burns cleaner so I'm happy to stand the extra cost.
Don't know why I worry as the van is 16 years old but I always think every year older must bring it closer to having problems.

Mine is Tiptronic and I'm not at all confident about how to use that so I never have, so what's the best speed to travel to ensure regen?
Mine gets used for lots of short trips as it's my daily, and in summer it's fine as I do another of weekends away, but I do wonder about winter.
I have found that on short trips I get better mpg using premium diesel. I assume that means it burns cleaner so I'm happy to stand the extra cost.
Don't know why I worry as the van is 16 years old but I always think every year older must bring it closer to having problems.
Hello, ours is a DSG and I place it in manual mode: then I drive on the highway at a somewhat high -permitted- speed, but then one gear lower.

Engine warning light on now… not sure if related but fan is on after every journey irrespective. Did 2 x 1 hour drives today at m’way speeds and fan going crazy after both and on local journeys. Fortunately have a service booked tomorrow.

Engine warning light on now… not sure if related but fan is on after every journey irrespective. Did 2 x 1 hour drives today at m’way speeds and fan going crazy after both and on local journeys. Fortunately have a service booked tomorrow.
please report back to help others

I would be very tempted to get a £50 VW OBD code reader to tell your what the engine light is for.
I had the engine light on for 2 1/2 years. It was a DPF sensor gone so actually nothing wrong. Eventually I bought one off eBay and switched it but then had to perform the adaptation by plugging in a laptop.

I would find out yourself with a code reader. V useful and pay for themselves.

I would be very tempted to get a £50 VW OBD code reader to tell your what the engine light is for.
I had the engine light on for 2 1/2 years. It was a DPF sensor gone so actually nothing wrong. Eventually I bought one off eBay and switched it but then had to perform the adaptation by plugging in a laptop.

I would find out yourself with a code reader. V useful and pay for themselves.
Where do you get such a thing?

Back