Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Farewell red Westy

jqp

jqp

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi all,
I'm a prospective Cali owner - maybe going to see a dealer tomorrow- but longtime campervan owner. I bought a T25 Westphalia Joker 1 in 1986. I still have it, 275,000 km, last long trip - Portugal in May. However, it seems unlikely it will outlive me, I've been looking for a successor. Ocean appears to be the best choice.
There must be some ex-T25 Westy folk here; how was the transition? Can you live with the reduced space, less water & gas capacity, top-loading fridge?

No doubt I'll be psting questions on the buying forum soon.

jp

I had one once - bulletproof - but as nostalgic as I am I doubt very much you will be disappointed to see how things have moved on! Front opening fridges (at least down on the floor as in a VW) are a total PITA in every way IMHO (bar lost counter space) compared to a top loader.

Welcome , never camped in anything other then my 2012 SE but think for you a huge diffrence between your current camper and the Ocean...:thumb

Speeding tickets & aircon will soften the blow :cool:

A slightly underwhelming response.
So, after 30 years of development, VW is offerring a camper that is bigger on the outside, smaller on the inside, and weighs about a tonne more. On the plus side, it's a bit faster and has aircon. Progress?
Or you could say that just proves how brilliant the original VW camper concept was.

However, now that I've established my credentials as a really grumpy old man, I am pleased to say that I have a new Ocean on order - thanks to the friendly folk at SMG.

And it's going to be red, of course.

jp

Welcome and congrats on the choice. Of course the with increased weight come lots off airbags, improved chassis, side impact protection?, anti lock breaks etc.

..message ends..

Wow! It's all happening too fast. Ordered end July with expected delivery in 9 months. I was looking forward to a 18 plate, but email from SMG in mid Sept said build date of week 39, so due late November.
Just checked with VWCV who say it has been loaded onto ship at Emden and landing Sheerness in a few days.
This is a most unusual purchasing experience.

I am now experiencing conflicting emotions. Obviously excited to have a new Cali and discover all the wonderful new features like aircon and anti-lock brakes; yet not at all happy about saying farewell to the old Westy.
I may just have to make space on my drive for two campers.

jp

if you have room. and don't need the cash of a sale. keep it mate

Well, it's good that the T25 has earned a place in your heart like this.
Making space on the drive is likely to only be a temporary solution and once you decide the Ocean has the soul to serve you in the same way or better, yet far more suited to modern traffic conditions and our techy lifestyles you may have only delayed the inevitable.
Embrace the purchase that you made with your head and it will eventually win your heart too.

My older brother and uncle had bay window VW campers so thats all I can relate too but having driven a 130ps, 140ps manual vans myself I think you'll enjoy the choices you have made.
Best you can hope for is that someone else will love your faithful older camper and use it more than you would.

Last edited:
The new ones also have crumple zones, airbags and power steering, the safety of the new ones is far far higher. For me the biggest differences between the t25 and my T5 was the quiet, the confidence we would get to the end destination and back again and being able to drive above 60mph ;)

Wow! It's all happening too fast. Ordered end July with expected delivery in 9 months. I was looking forward to a 18 plate, but email from SMG in mid Sept said build date of week 39, so due late November.
Just checked with VWCV who say it has been loaded onto ship at Emden and landing Sheerness in a few days.

I am now experiencing conflicting emotions. Obviously excited to have a new Cali and discover all the wonderful new features like aircon and anti-lock brakes; yet not at all happy about saying farewell to the old Westy.

jp
Big westy fan myself,
You could keep it on the drive and look at it but after driving your ocean it will never get used.sell it to someone who will make many happy memories like you have.it would a sad end to a top old bus to watch you setting off on adventures in a newer model.leaving it at home...
theres plenty of love for them old vans out there and they still fetch a premium,probably more than you originally paid for it??
Vans have feelings too remember

By the way I'm week 39 and it's only just got to the port in Germany.
I thought mine was quick!!!!
enjoy

Ship is currently doing 13 knots about 20 miles east of Sheerness.Due to dock this evening!

Ship is currently doing 13 knots about 20 miles east of Sheerness.Due to dock this evening!
Ha ha
exciting times.
Got a feeling mines not on there??
The dealer said it will be sat at the docks for around 10 day not sure weather he means in Germany or the U.K.?

jp

and

Having spoken to VWCS myself this evening, I'm just doing my own math on this......
I'm told week 45 is week commencing 6th of November (my confirmed build week :bananadance2)
So week 39 must have been week commencing 25th September.
If the ship was 20 miles off Sheerness on Wednesday 11th October, that means the build time was less than 16 days and that shipping was instant.
I'd say your build must have been a fair bit earlier if you apply some down time and delay into the process.
That said, I see another post @Jay17cali also of week 39 is not far behind. I guess you could wait upto 10 days in docks depending on next available slot on a ship?
If you are each convinced about these timings perhaps you could let us know when they are ready for collection at the dealers?
Then we can put a timescale on the whole experience.

Even if the time for mine doubled on that of @jqp then I should still have mine ready by early December. I was expecting (still am sort of) early Jan 2018. I ordered 2nd of October.

and

Having spoken to VWCS myself this evening, I'm just doing my own math on this......
I'm told week 45 is week commencing 6th of November (my confirmed build week :bananadance2)
So week 39 must have been week commencing 25th September.
If the ship was 20 miles off Sheerness on Wednesday 11th October, that means the build time was less than 16 days and that shipping was instant.
I'd say your build must have been a fair bit earlier if you apply some down time and delay into the process.
That said, I see another post @Jay17cali also of week 39 is not far behind. I guess you could wait upto 10 days in docks depending on next available slot on a ship?
If you are each convinced about these timings perhaps you could let us know when they are ready for collection at the dealers?
Then we can put a timescale on the whole experience.

Even if the time for mine doubled on that of @jqp then I should still have mine ready by early December. I was expecting (still am sort of) early Jan 2018. I ordered 2nd of October.
I'm told by vwcs that there was a delay on my build week so it was stared a week late wk 40.
Then last week it was built and on its way to the docks at emden
Now it's in the uk but the docks are very busy and there's delays in the turnaround

Hi @jqp

Which SMG branch did you order from?

Back