Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Faulty lights on thule tow bar bike rack

mikeelawson

mikeelawson

BOOMEL
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I am having issues with faulty lights on my bike rack and would appreciate guidance

Setup
Vw calafornia ocean t6.1 with factory fitted 14 pin 9nnector
Thule vecompact 925
7 to 9 pin converter

Issue
Getting lights on bike intermittently working
Sometime left indicator, sometimes both.
Rear right brzke never works
A jiggle of the plug and adapter that goes into van sometimes partially resolves this

Questions
How do I start diagnosing the issue whether is it a bulb or wiring or adapter
I am used to diy on most things
Have a multimeter

Would appreciate anyone's assistance on the steps to resolve (hopefully myself)

Regards,

Mike

I am having issues with faulty lights on my bike rack and would appreciate guidance

Setup
Vw calafornia ocean t6.1 with factory fitted 14 pin 9nnector
Thule vecompact 925
7 to 9 pin converter

Issue
Getting lights on bike intermittently working
Sometime left indicator, sometimes both.
Rear right brzke never works
A jiggle of the plug and adapter that goes into van sometimes partially resolves this

Questions
How do I start diagnosing the issue whether is it a bulb or wiring or adapter
I am used to diy on most things
Have a multimeter

Would appreciate anyone's assistance on the steps to resolve (hopefully myself)

Regards,

Mike
First thing I would do …. Find someone who has a tow hitch and try your bike rack on their socket. Preferably without the need for a converter. That will at least rule out the rack or the van.
Check the wiring to the plug/socket could be a loose connector screw (check the earth first).

Try plugging in and out the connector about 20 or 30 times. This will clean the contact surfaces in the plug and socket and might cure the fault.

Ok my diagnosis today using multimeter continuity buzz test:
  1. All bulbs fine
  2. Dismantled wiring loom and all working, buzzed each lead
  3. Converter fin
When I put it all back on the rack did not work. Pulled in / out started working, so I have an intermittent failure. I am thinking of getting one of the enclosed to test circuit https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363039378953. In the meantime my neighbour has a Caravelle so will try it on his on Wednesday and his trailer.

Any other suggestions?

Mike

Ok my diagnosis today using multimeter continuity buzz test:
  1. All bulbs fine
  2. Dismantled wiring loom and all working, buzzed each lead
  3. Converter fin
When I put it all back on the rack did not work. Pulled in / out started working, so I have an intermittent failure. I am thinking of getting one of the enclosed to test circuit https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363039378953. In the meantime my neighbour has a Caravelle so will try it on his on Wednesday and his trailer.

Any other suggestions?

Mike
Personally I would get rid of the Converter, unless you use the rack on another vehicle that only has the older Towbar socket.

Personally I would get rid of the Converter, unless you use the rack on another vehicle that only has the older Towbar socket.
I agree , rewire the rack with a new plug to remove the need for a converter.

We had the same problem, took the plastic surround for the connector apart and realigned it, and now it works! Ours is old and seemed to be designed so we could do this.