Favour Please People (ROOF REPAIR)

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Could someone have a look at this for me please...?

My Cali has started a very loud whistling noise, around 70mph+ from the roof area. I can’t see anything obvious and the only thing I can suspect is the roof canvas replacement 3 weeks ago. Although the issue is probably the actual roof repair.....(£%#+=#)

I have checked where the noise is coming from and the only thing I wasn’t sure about was this. Check the video.
It’s not right...???
Right...???

(Volume required)

So do you have any flex in the cap or crunching noise...???

Could someone have a look at this for me please...?

My Cali has started a very loud whistling noise, around 70mph+ from the roof area. I can’t see anything obvious and the only thing I can suspect is the roof canvas replacement 3 weeks ago. Although the issue is probably the actual roof repair.....(£%#+=#)

I have checked where the noise is coming from and the only thing I wasn’t sure about was this. Check the video.
It’s not right...???
Right...???

(Volume required)

So do you have any flex in the cap or crunching noise...???
Not right. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that cap is going to lift Off, especially in some hot weather. In which case you'll be Number 4 of those who have had the Cap Repair.

Not right. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that cap is going to lift Off, especially in some hot weather. In which case you'll be Number 4 of those who have had the Cap Repair.

WelshGas, that’s what I thought too.
I had hoped the entire roof corrosion episode was done and dusted.
I’m furious...

This is the noise from inside the vehicle. It’s ear piercing.
Sorry, not the best video. But have a look.

That would never be allowed to leave the factory like that (from new)if it was designed to be fixed. Why would a repair be any different. You must let VW know and ask for it to be done properly.

WelshGas, that’s what I thought too.
I had hoped the entire roof corrosion episode was done and dusted.
I’m furious...

This is the noise from inside the vehicle. It’s ear piercing.
Sorry, not the best video. But have a look.

That sounds like a high frequency vibration. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you put some Gaffer Tape around that section the noise would change if not disappear.

I think you should give us your reg number as I would not like to follow you on the motorway I am sure it could lift off maybe not this week but in next year or so. that noise would drive me made before then - must be airflow getting under the repair.

I think you should give us your reg number as I would not like to follow you on the motorway I am sure it could lift off maybe not this week but in next year or so. that noise would drive me made before then - must be airflow getting under the repair.

I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago driving back from the coast. An hour from home it started.
Next day i checked a few things. I thought it was the window deflectors at first.
The following week, didn't notice it. Then today i was driving back from Luton airport and it started when i reached 80. I pulled over at the next services and removed the window deflector on that side, but the noise was still present.
Ive emailed VWCS, but will probably ring first thing tomorrow.
Ive also phoned Coventry Van Centre who replaced the Canvas, but so far no call back. They are a complete waste of time....

Last edited:
What a shambles, hope you get it sorted properly this time. :mad:

What a shambles, hope you get it sorted properly this time. :mad:
Again, that is an absolute disgrace. The repairs should be monitored by VW and carried out to factory standard. I really feel for you, especially after what you’ve already been through. I’ve just checked my repair and it seems solid so far but I’ll keep an eye on it.

Seems that cover is not well glued and coming loose....
Very very bad news .
Whoever did this needs to start all over...that is if you are confident bringing it back in at thesame place....

Last edited:
Yes I’ve been in contact with VWCS again this morning.
So it needs to go back into the dealer network to be assessed.
I have asked that they take the vehicle away, rectify all faults correctly and supply me with another California whilst this is done.

It’s annoying as hell, especially as we enter the period where I would use it more than ever. I’m just back from Austria and would like to return in 4-6 weeks time in the van. But all current summer plans are on hold until I know what is going on with this vehicle.

I’ve just had a look at the Marco Polo and if they release the Horizon version which is similar to the Beach, I may well look at jumping ship.

Yes I’ve been in contact with VWCS again this morning.
So it needs to go back into the dealer network to be assessed.
I have asked that they take the vehicle away, rectify all faults correctly and supply me with another California whilst this is done.

this is just so poor esp as the old front style repair was a fix we had were very happy with.

The repair centre are at fault. VW need to get a grip and set up a dedicated in house repair facility and show respect to the customers. As for Mercedes don't think for one minute they don't have problems but their after care may be better.

We have two Vito work vans and Mercedes customer services is in another class to Volkswagen. I just wish VW will get their act together.

We have two Vito work vans and Mercedes customer services is in another class to Volkswagen. I just wish VW will get their act together.

I have just found out via my local MB dealer, the Horizon is in fact, being rolled out across the UK. They are going to try and get hold of one from another branch for me to have a look at if possible.
I think its worth me checking it out. The fact its put together by Westfalia, must surely be a good thing...

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles beware! Ignore service excellence at your peril. (Yes, we know you will read this.......:D)

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles beware! Ignore service excellence at your peril. (Yes, we know you will read this.......:D)
They might read these posts but take no notice whatsoever, I know after trying to get my roof (front panel) repaired years ago, it was 6 months outside warranty period.

They might read these posts but take no notice whatsoever, I know after trying to get my roof (front panel) repaired years ago, it was 6 months outside warranty period.
I take the view that every little bit of pressure helps in some, however small, way. That said I do agree that VW's willingness to solve what clearly is a design fault and the consequent required repairs leaves more than just a little bit to be desired, save the time it is taking for them to effect a new/better design which solves the problem rather than, as I fear is the case, a fix that will merely push the problem outside the warranty period. I make no apologies if that sounds all too cynical!

I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago driving back from the coast. An hour from home it started.
Next day i checked a few things. I thought it was the window deflectors at first.
The following week, didn't notice it. Then today i was driving back from Luton airport and it started when i reached 80. I pulled over at the next services and removed the window deflector on that side, but the noise was still present.
Ive emailed VWCS, but will probably ring first thing tomorrow.
Ive also phoned Coventry Van Centre who replaced the Canvas, but so far no call back. They are a complete waste of time....

I find them brilliant in person but yes they rarely call back if you call them. :(

I find them brilliant in person but yes they rarely call back if you call them. :(

Isn’t communication probably the single most important aspect of good customer services...?

I rang Tuesday 1pm.
Still no call back.
VWCS have emailed the service department with instructions to contact me this morning.
Still no call.

I had a similar experience with them 6 years ago with my old van and vowed never to use them. It’s only there at present because of the roof corrosion issue

If the service is poor, start hitting them up on their Facebook and Twitter pages. It rarely fails imho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I phoned Coventry Listers Van Centre Tuesday (17th ) and VWCS to restart the ball rolling following the issues above.
Coventry said they would call back shortly. Never did.
VWCS replied within 24hrs and I’ve had 3 telephone conversations with them and two emails.
I am awaiting Coventry Listers Van Centre to arrange the booking with the bodyshop and sort a replacement vehicle. Incredibly VWCS have spoken to them 4 times and I have been copied into an email with the instruction to do this from VWCS.
Coventry van Centre just don’t seem interested...!!!

Quite possibly one of the worst aftercare service departments I’ve ever come across. Had similar experience with them many many years ago and vowed never to use them again. Unfortunately, it was the only place local that was dealing with the roof issue.

I would never buy a vehicle from Coventry, purely on principle...

I phoned Coventry Listers Van Centre Tuesday (17th ) and VWCS to restart the ball rolling following the issues above.
Coventry said they would call back shortly. Never did.
VWCS replied within 24hrs and I’ve had 3 telephone conversations with them and two emails.
I am awaiting Coventry Listers Van Centre to arrange the booking with the bodyshop and sort a replacement vehicle. Incredibly VWCS have spoken to them 4 times and I have been copied into an email with the instruction to do this from VWCS.
Coventry van Centre just don’t seem interested...!!!

Quite possibly one of the worst aftercare service departments I’ve ever come across. Had similar experience with them many many years ago and vowed never to use them again. Unfortunately, it was the only place local that was dealing with the roof issue.

I would never buy a vehicle from Coventry, purely on principle...

That doesn’t sound promising. I believe you have a choice and would try insisting with VWCS that they refer you elsewhere. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk