Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Felt like an AGM..

Teejay

Teejay

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Recently we were around the Scottish borders and had a planned free camp not too far from Edinburgh. However, when we arrived bunting was everywhere along our route. Suspicious that something had happened or was going to happen, I checked the WWW. Sure enough the Edinburgh marathon was set to pass us. Problem was our access road was to be closed from 0500 - 1830, poop, a decamp was needed.

So we abandoned the site searched. We then found a popular place North Berwick. It was SO busy it was no longer a wild camp and felt like an AGM of great whites.

Must admit it felt really odd and clearly some had been there several days. I'm guessing it won't be too long before it has some form of height barrier added.

Happy trails all..

..message ends..

If you ever read Scotland the Great, the author is not shy in expressing his hatred for motorhomes and caravans. Ironic really as many are probably using his book to travel around.

A lot to be said for the compact Cali but I suspect there are many who dislike our vans too.

[QUOTE="Teejay1, post: 285507, memb

So we abandoned the site searched. We then found a popular place North Berwick. It was SO busy it was no longer a wild camp and felt like an AGM of great whites.

Must admit it felt really odd and clearly some had been there several days. I'm guessing it won't be too long before it has some form of height barrier added.

Happy trails all..

..message ends..[/QUOTE]

If you are talking about Tantallon Terrace North Berwick the great whites stay for days and are resented by the locals. There is ongoing discussion by councils about bringing in wide ranging restrictions, including on the NC500 route, due to the massive increase in these motorhomes. Wild camping in Scotland is actually only allowed in tents and only on foot.
The restrictions within the Loch Lomond area have been well received by the locals and many are considering similar proposals. At least with a California we only leave a small footprint.
upload_2018-6-1_19-10-59.jpegTantallon Terrace mid week early May and it just gets worse as the holiday season approaches.

Yes this was the place, I know the rules around wild camping hence why I used the term free camp, many don't.

We visited there several years ago before the California and it was still very busy then