Ferry Booking

Richy

Richy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all,
We're planning a trip to France in July,
I've never driven onto a ferry before so just wanted to know how you class a California (with factory awning) when booking ?
Any/all advice welcome

Thanks

Depend who you book with DFDS has a motor home & a separate (usually cheaper) high van option, I always use P&O as they have a camper van option that allows up to 6m

I just booked with the Britney Fastcraft 3 hours and I just stuck in my reg and it allocated a caravelle. I then added a rear mounted bike rack as an extra. I noticed on the booking confirmation that the hight was only 19,00 so I called and they altered to 19,80 with no problems.

Use the aferry.co.uk website, it lets you select exact vehicle, so you can select VW California from the drop down menu..... It then gets you "car" rate on DFDS, Stenaline, Irish Ferries.... And others.....

Plus, no chance of quibbles at check-in, as VW California is on the booking.

Use the aferry.co.uk website, it lets you select exact vehicle, so you can select VW California from the drop down menu..... It then gets you "car" rate on DFDS, Stenaline, Irish Ferries.... And others.....

I agree. Has a very good app.

Mike

Just wondered on this as the website seems to have now changed and VW Cali is no longer listed! However, we've been booking at VW / Other in the car section, enter the height as less than 2M and length less than 5M. Hopefully that can't be argued on the booking but lets see! Interested to hear others experiences on this!

i have taken many ferry's and always book for nomal car (ex. VW sharran, carravelle,..) is chepest option anw we had never problems even whit kayak on top or bike rack.
Never book as Motorhome, it is a lot more expensive.

I was frustrated at DFDS as the Cali would fit into the large car (I think it was called) category on dimensions, but I also note there was a motorhome category. I spoke to them and they said to put it in the (more expensive) motorhome category as it should match whatever the vehicle is described as in the V5 (yet more smoke and mirrors); the fact mine says "MOTOR CARAVAN" made me think for the sake of £20 each way or something it wasn't worth a possible argument on our holiday.

Anecdotal evidence on here and elsewhere suggests you "might" get away with trying to fiddle the categories, but you might also end up with an officious and pedantic person at the port. If you're not bothered about having an argument, I would risk it, but if you want to "sail past" so to speak, I'd just cough up the bit extra and rest easy. There might be other reasons they want motorhomes classed as such (e.g. likely to have gas on board etc..) but I don't know.

On a return crossing from Newhaven to Dieppe late last year (DFDS) the added cost of the van as a Motorhome over a large car (my daughters) was £70.

Always interested in how others approach these things! For now, I'm going to continue to book as a car and specify the measurements, in the hope we don't encounter a pedantic port person! Have recently seen that on Direct Ferries website, you can chose Car - VW - Campervan and the prices seem in line with other sites for cars so that's a good route to booking. Far better than P&O direct who state max height for cars is around 1.8m and so you have to book as a van, thus increasing the price by over 30%! Happy sailing what ever you book :)

I’ve never found any rhyme or reason in the logic behind the ferry operators. We have always taken the cheapest option which is sometimes ‘motorhome’ :eek: As for the paperwork my van (2020 Coast) is listed on the V5 as an MPV! (and as a result I have to pay the bl**dy extra road tax:mad:)

So in the grand scheme I just choose whatever my conscience can live with …….. and ‘stick it to the man!’ haha

Always interested in how others approach these things! For now, I'm going to continue to book as a car and specify the measurements, in the hope we don't encounter a pedantic port person! Have recently seen that on Direct Ferries website, you can chose Car - VW - Campervan and the prices seem in line with other sites for cars so that's a good route to booking. Far better than P&O direct who state max height for cars is around 1.8m and so you have to book as a van, thus increasing the price by over 30%! Happy sailing what ever you book :)
I book the cheapest and then have any 'discussion' when I arrive at the Newhaven check-in booth.

Got challenged once a couple of years ago, but was quickly solved when i pulled a tape measure out of the glovebox. Supervisor got called over, checked van size on booking paperwork, apologised & waved us through.

We always book direct with carrier as its normally easier to make changes, which proved handy when the government changed the quarrantine rule during Covid.

Back