Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ferry Bookings P&O

fordyski100

fordyski100

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
What would you do?
Anyone booked a crossing to france for the Cali as a car?

Heres my dilemma. Off to Assen for MOTO GP next weekend and if i book as an over height car i can book for £38.(And i have heard other people have apparently booked as a car).
But i am guessing we should book as a Motorhome? Cost for that with AA discount £107.

Big difference and the last thing i want is to arrive at the port and be refused travel as a car and then charged the "turn up and go rates " which will be a lot more than £107 no doubt . But my head says …….give it a go!

So basically , just looking to see how many others (if any ) have booked ferry crossing for the Cali as a car and experienced no problems , or flip side anyone who has booked as a car and has had a problem!
After all We DO NOT drive a motorhome do we!!

Thanks

PS Anyone else off to Assen ?

Have done the cheap day trip deals as a car several times with no problems.

I have been told by P & O (customer service phone enquiry) that it should be booked as a motor home, however it is at the discretion of the person on the kiosk when you roll up. And one of them at the kiosk once said to me that "it's a tall car!"

My argument if questioned would be that I was using it as a car at that point, the gas was disconnected, and it was exactly the same dimensions as a caravelle which they automatically call a tall car.

Having said that, we are doing a longer trip next week and have booked as a motor home just in case. It was only £12 more expensive each way.

Decision time!

Having said that, we are doing a longer trip next week and have booked as a motor home just in case. It was only £12 more expensive each way.

LOL :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks for that !

Up to this paragraph i was about to risk it ! And then ………you had to add that little paragraph to make me indecisive! :D

Thanks for the reply and making me laugh early on a saturday morning ……and have a great trip.
:thanks

If you want to save a few quid then I can recommend direct ferries. Saved over £100 on a one way trip to Denmark. Also you can get cash back from quidco.

You tell them how big the van is and they do the rest - they will compare all ferry companies.

T

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice .(Best price was still with AA Discount /p&o )But………..

I have "bottled it" and am now officially a MOTORHOME Owner. :?
Couldn't risk paying the special short break deal (£38) for cars, and turning up and being refused that deal and having to pay the on the day rates which are a lot dearer!So i payed £107 as a Motorhome .(According to customer services if you can cook in it its a MOTORHOME)

So not only am i £69 Worse off ……..i am now a Motorhome driver…….. :headbang

Thats it ……….I'm officially OLD :D :D :D :D :D

I used to work for Sea France many years ago and the main reason you need to choose motorhome is because of the fire risk, motorhomes, carvavans, trucks etc .. are all put in there own area on car deck. What I tend to do is book as a van/small minibus and then declare I have a gas bottle at checkin. Never had a problem

Dunc

I used to use the Newhaven Dieppe route, but at my last trip with them they said that from now on I would have to book as a motor home making it considerably more expensive. We are not motor homes as we don't hAve showers and many don't have WC's. The only reason it should be most expensive is because of size nothing else. Safety on its own isn't a good enough reason. Actually the ferry companies don't do anything more just because they carry motorhomes other than asking you to make sure your gas bottles are switched off. Just another money spinner. Certainly on the Newhaven dieppe route is not worth it particulalrly with the low grade facilities on board and at port....

Have a look at LD/DFDS
Been looking at costs for Assen as my daughter is going.
Cheapest Dover/Dunkirk early Friday am and late Sunday night is £72 for a Cali size motorhome

I've used most of the main ferry operators inc P+O and DFDS over the past few years.

I have never booked as a motorhome (recognising that the height of the Cali is ever so slightly over their guideline) - I have never been queried or turned away.

Whilst I appreciate that this is no guarantee, that it might not happen in the future it seems to be a risk worth taking. :thumb

We found ferry crossings across the channel expensive this year and finally opted for the new LD Lines route to Santander. For holidays in Spain, I think if ferry companies insist on charging as a motorhome then it's more economical to go direct to Santander.
We will see how it goes on this new route...

We came back last week on the LD ferry from Santander.
No problems at all.
The food is a bit transport caff, cheap though, two course meal for 13 Euros but the cabins are fine.
Saved around £100 over the Brittany Ferries cost.

We have just returned from Norway and have used DFDS from Harwich to Ebsbjerg and Stenna from Friedrikshaven to Oslo with our Beach classed as a normal car up to 2 metres high. Neither ferry company commented on the size of the vehicle.

My take is that it's not a motorhome.

We don't have showers or WC's. It's a commercial vehicle (strictly speaking) and is one of the reasons we have a lower road tax rate.
You might argue that it's a van.
Whatever the argument, it's not a motorhome.
Ultimately the size is that of a large car and motor homes are charged more because they occupy more space on the ferry.

This is an excuse to charge more money. I was told at Newhaven ferry port that next time I would be charged as a motorhome and have not returned since, particularly as the facilities at this port are dire and likewise on the boat.
At least for this port it's not worth the money....

When we book a ferry for our Cali we only look at dimensions, NEVER at motorhome/minivan etc. categories. Our Cali is always within the dimensions of a normal car, so that is what we book. Never had an issue with it when embarking.
Last month to visit Camperjam from Holland we did Dunkirk/Dover vv. € 50 for a return trip, car + 2 adults, via aferry.com (lot cheaper than the DFDS's own website...). You should be able to do the same to visit Assen TT.

Back