Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fiamma curved rafter pro

Cwoods1405

Cwoods1405

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Good Morning

I was considering buying a curved rafter for my roll out awning but before I do I’m looking to see how others have got on with them. Like everything else they are not cheap but I thought they would work well with the Comfortz awning sides.
Thanks

Good Morning

I was considering buying a curved rafter for my roll out awning but before I do I’m looking to see how others have got on with them. Like everything else they are not cheap but I thought they would work well with the Comfortz awning sides.
Thanks

I find it very useful. I go up to Snowdonia a lot and it occasionally rains. Just having one of the awning legs longer than the other so there is a slope isn't enough in some cases and the curved rafter has been useful in stopping the ponding on the awning.
I got a couple of 3" rubber plungers from a camping shop which I put over the ends of it so it makes a good grip on the two sides of the awning.
There are a few threads on it from before that you may find useful.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fiamma-curved-rafter-pro.14521/
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/curved-rafter-for-awning.7199/
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/factory-awning-extra-support.19810/

They work well with the Comfortz awning sides.

We tried one but did not like it, we find dropping one leg lower works well, the rafter was just something else to get in the way when not used !

Hi
I have one for sale, tried once and back in its wrapping so as new. Bought from the club shop for me as a gift however not really required.
So offers anyone......?

Reactions: Djs
Hi
I have one for sale, tried once and back in its wrapping so as new. Bought from the club shop for me as a gift however not really required.
So offers anyone......?
Yes I'm interested, first refusal please, will send you a PM.

Thanks for the responses looks like it divides opinion. I think I’ll just get one then maybe I’ll stop banging my head on an awning that’s dropped on one side

The rafter is made by Fiamma for their awnings, there is a hook on them which it fits onto.
I found that the easiest way to get it to grip onto the standard VW awning bar, which is a Thule, and the other side is one of these -
Thanks for the responses looks like it divides opinion. I think I’ll just get one then maybe I’ll stop banging my head on an awning that’s dropped on one side

The rafter is made by Fiamma for their awnings, there is a hook on them which it fits onto.
I found that the easiest way to get it to grip onto the standard VW awning bar, which is a Thule, and the other side is one of these -
rafter3.jpg
You remove the hard plastic piece on the left that comes with the rafter and put the sucker piece in it's place. I cut the sucker edges down a bit to make it a better fit.
Simon

Yes I'm interested, first refusal please, will send you a PM.

If you get one of these Loz, the sucker that I put a picture of in #7 is available from Attwools and makes it a much more secure fit.
Simon

• Thanks
Reactions: Loz
Ref - Pro Rafter
Thanks for the interest expressed in all the private messages ............... Now Sold.

I just bought this. Its a straight one but £20 less than the pro. When comparing its hard to see the difference. The little slide over feet seem to work quite well but better when you rotate rafter through 90 degs. so that adjuster nut is pointing downwards.
upload_2018-5-8_15-28-2.png

I just bought this. Its a straight one but £20 less than the pro. When comparing its hard to see the difference. The little slide over feet seem to work quite well but better when you rotate rafter through 90 degs. so that adjuster nut is pointing downwards.
View attachment 32918

I picked up a couple of the straight rafters from a local FB selling site very cheap & used the included rectangle shaped rubber feet which appeared to work on a trial fitting until someone grabbed the leg of the awning which caused it to drop out and hit the van!

Still trying to find a more secure solution which exists but as yet not found any evidence any of the kits are
a, correct for the omnistor model fitted to the Cali
or
b, correct for the square shaped rafter rather than the circular type.

Links for info...

https://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/Fiamma-Kit-Side-omnistor-5002.html

https://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/Fiamma-Kit-Side-omnistor-4900.html

https://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/Fiamma-Kit-Fast-Clip-Privacy-O.html

Would be handy if anyone else has successfully fitted the above to their cali, I could buy all the kits & try them all to see which one works but if I did that I may as well buy a rafter that fits the omnistor.

@SimonB has adapted some Rubber feet, I purchased the Fiamma clip as a spare part.
Hi Loz do you have the part number for the Fiamma clip not sure what I need to order. :cheers

Have you tried self adhesive Velcro on the rafter and awning? I did a test moving the awning from flat/parallel to lowering one side down and the rafter stayed in place.
You could also try winding the awning in a tad after fitting the rafter to create a little extra pressure on the rubber feet of the rafter.

Thank you Loz, I take it there is enough room inside the awning case to accommodate these when you close it?
Only 1 on the wind-out side and has to be positioned exactly between the knuckles. Use a bit of sticky or blue tac to get it right then self tap in place. I used the square rubber stop with velcro for the inside as the channel holds it in place from dropping.

Just putchased a Fiamma Rafter pro from the club shop,

Where do your store yours when travelling?

On the floor, down the side of the wardrobe.

Just putchased a Fiamma Rafter pro from the club shop,

Where do your store yours when travelling?
I shortened both sections slightly with a hacksaw and it fits in the boot on the kitchen side of the rear seat.