Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fiamma (F45) wind out awning - Anyone painted one?

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
I'm wanting to paint the casing of my Fiamma F45 awning from its standard white to be black (will fit better with the van).
Has anyone any experience of painting their awning casing?
Any advice?

Thanks

Have read that some have had them wrapped, don't recall anyone painting.

I'm sure there was someone who did a spray job on one. Worth a search!

Thanks for the info - interesting... Will have to see what a 'wrapper' would charge... :thumb

The previous owners of mine had painted the awning green to match the van. It looked bloomin awful. A really nasty job, with paint everywhere. It looked like it had been a pig to do with so many odd shapes and they had done it with the biggest paintbrush they could find. Doing a proper job and making it look nice, will be quite a mission, if you've no proper facilities or experience.

Luckily last year a mechanic in a garage, drove it into something and smashed it. So the garage paid for a brand new replacement in black. Sounds like vinyl wrapping would be the way forward if you can.

The previous owners of mine had painted the awning green to match the van. It looked bloomin awful. A really nasty job, with paint everywhere. It looked like it had been a pig to do with so many odd shapes and they had done it with the biggest paintbrush they could find. Doing a proper job and making it look nice, will be quite a mission, if you've no proper facilities or experience.

Luckily last year a mechanic in a garage, drove it into something and smashed it. So the garage paid for a brand new replacement in black. Sounds like vinyl wrapping would be the way forward if you can.

Aha... so insurance job is the way to go ;):D - Cheers... I'm building up the picture here that painting is a dodgy way to go. Going to find me wrapper!

Aha... so insurance job is the way to go ;):D - Cheers... I'm building up the picture here that painting is a dodgy way to go. Going to find me wrapper!
I’ve had two done in my local body shop to match the sand beige paintwork. It looked great- much better combination than the silver. Unfortunately the second time I had it done the awning split in the heat of the Dordogne and the whole thing had to be replaced under warranty. I had to reassure VW that the awning casing had not been removed from the van during the respray (!!!) because they said it could affect the warranty if it had been removed, although I don’t know why. You couldn’t possibly have it resprayed properly without removing it. I now have a silver awning but have resisted the temptation to have it done again.

I'm wanting to paint the casing of my Fiamma F45 awning from its standard white to be black (will fit better with the van).
Has anyone any experience of painting their awning casing?
Any advice?

Thanks
I am having mine wrapped. Cost for plain colour £100 + VAT or £120 + VAT for Carbon fibre effect. Should be easy to do yourself as there are no complex curves involved.

Worth posting a swap post somewhere? May be someone who wants a white (ish ;) ) one and will swap with their black one?

Well, no going back now... plastic parts already painted, will do the casing this weekend...
Spent a couple off hours just cleaning it - it actually came up quite nice in white once clean, but I think it will look even better in black ;)

20180419_164402.jpg

20180419_164357.jpg

Almost done.. Had too many other things to do this weekend, or it would have been finished by now, but just the canopy leading edge to paint now. So far so good ;)
Can't wait to see it up on the van!

20180422_175332.jpg

Just like a bought one :thumb

Looks very smart / factory!

A useful product for anyone else wanting to have a crack at this kind of job is Plastidip. It’s like a liquid/spray on rubberised coating. Pretty durable but if you don’t like it or want to change the colour you can peel it off. (You can also wipe or peel off overspray from many solid/painted surfaces when it’s dried.)

It comes in rattle cans or bigger for spraying out of a HVLP gun. They used to have only basic Colours but now they seem to have grown the product range extensively: http://www.plastidip.co.uk/landing/

I’ve no connection to Plastidip but I’ve used this many times in the past on wheels / badges etc. There are plenty of tips etc on YouTube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, its done. Even managed to source a replacement decal...
Just need the van back from the paint-shop (yep, that's getting a makeover too!) and then the two can be reunited :D
Looking forward to getting it back on!

Total cost with the decal, around 50€.
- one can of plastic primer (maybe overkill, but figured it would be better for the plastic parts)
- two cans of primer
- three cans of black satin (although really only used 2.5)
- decal sourced from a Fiamma agent in the UK

WhatsApp Image 2018-04-27 at 20.00.00.jpeg

Just need the van back from the paint-shop (yep, that's getting a makeover too!) and then the two can be reunited :D

- one can of plastic primer (maybe overkill, but figured it would be better for the plastic parts)
- two cans of primer

View attachment 32503

Looks fantastic!

- two cans of primer

View attachment 32503

You’ve done a fantastic Job!

Sweet. Thinking about it, that’s almost GT3 Green. Love it.

Black wheels seems the obvs next step.......just puttin it out there ;)