Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Filling the fresh water tank on a campsite?

H

Hannsky

How do all you fill your fresh water tank on site? at home I use a food grade hose but I don't know how to fill once on site as I worry where some of the hoses have been on some of these campsites (cleaning chemical toilets etc) :eek:

Any advice appreciated

I've only done it on site once and did a million trips with two 2 litre water bottles. A bit silly, but it was a nice day and gave the other campers something to watch!

I only drink bottled water and my first empty 2l water bottle is the one that gets used to top up the water tank. Not too fussed as I don't drink from it.

I use the Brandrup 10L collapsible water carrier.

WelshGas said:
I use the Brandrup 10L collapsible water carrier.

I have one to sell,

Got fed up with wet feet as it poured itself all over me whilst I fiddled around trying to attach it to the awning rail :eek:

Should have read the instructions. :doh

I carry a length of hose, something like this one: http://www.cnfoutdoors.co.uk/w4-fill-up ... tAodbgcAFg

There's usually a fresh water outlet you can park close enough to in order to fill up. Of course this doesn't help if you run out while pitched up, but I make sure I have enough water if I don't intend to move for a few days.

GrannyJen - I'm interested! Could you say how much you'd want for it?

Cheers

Ian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We carry a roll flat hose with a range of fittings for tap connection, we store it in the rear door within the seats. For wild camping we use 5 litre water containers sold by most supermarkets with a funnel connector, 5 of these fill from empty. They are also light enough to hold up while you fill.

IanE said:

Cheers

Ian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will have a rummage around this morning to see what bits that I have left from it. Probably all of it. I definitely have the 20l folding tank in "Alberts cupboard". (Albert has been bought so many unwanted items he now needs his own under-loft cupboard to store them all in :oops: :oops: ).

I will be flaunting myself up the M6 through Cumbria on the 8th February, dropping other bits off as I go. A bit like a mobile car boot sale. :D

Hey that's great Jen - hope you enjoy your trip here in any event - just off in the sunshine for a stroll around Rydal :)

I originally purchased a collapsible water carrier (albeit not a Brandrup one), and it was a bit of a PITA!

So I now have purchased one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Liter-SOLA ... 1e887863c0

You can fill it up from the tap and carry 20L to your van, then I hook it on the awning rail and let it fill up the tank.

I can also be used as a shower :)

I also carry a short piece of hose to fill up from a tap, but I always forget when arriving at a campsite, and when I am set up I can't be bothered to move...

T

A small funnel attached to about half a metre of tube. Suspend the funnel with string from the bike rack or topper screws, tube goes in the water tank and then it's easy to pour water into the tank via the funnel using a 15l container or similar that we fill directly from a drinking water tap. We do use the tank for drinking water so won't use any campsite hose.

small funnel and length of hose all coiled up on top of the water tank for storage. Same deal, will use a clean hose at a water station only and not a shitter dump one. Means you can use a tap as well.

IanE said:

Cheers

Ian

[Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have incoming PM

Sent from my wigwam using Tapsmoke

Dont use a campsite hose what ever you do, we used to have a motorhome and used to feed the hose into our toilet to clean it out :sorry

Dont use a campsite hose what ever you do, we used to have a motorhome and used to feed the hose into our toilet to clean it out :sorry
:Nailbiting

Goodness! I would NEVER do that :shocked

I always took my holding tank to the dishwashing area to clean it out properly!!

At the other end, what do people drain the waste water into? I've just taken delivery of a very nice BMW branded 10 litre collapsible bucket, came as part of a treatment set for a mini convertible roof. but available separately for about £12. folds down to a disc about 40mm thick and 250mm dia has a zip up lid & came with a storage bag, It fits along with a short water filling hose on top of the water tank out of the way.

bmw bucket.jpg

How do all you fill your fresh water tank on site? at home I use a food grade hose but I don't know how to fill once on site as I worry where some of the hoses have been on some of these campsites (cleaning chemical toilets etc) :eek:

Any advice appreciated

We've got a collapsible water carrier (15l), just a cheap one from the camping shop. Bought a water fill hose from Go Outdoors and it fits over the fill outlet on the water carrier.

Not as good as the Brandrup one, but does the job and I've used it several times. Have to hold it while the tank fills which is a bit heavy if it's full!

One of these
Hi Gear Fold-a-Carrier (15 Litre) | GO Outdoors

With one of these pushed onto the spout!!!
W4 Fill Up (5 metre) | GO Outdoors

At the other end, what do people drain the waste water into? I've just taken delivery of a very nice BMW branded 10 litre collapsible bucket, came as part of a treatment set for a mini convertible roof. but available separately for about £12. folds down to a disc about 40mm thick and 250mm dia has a zip up lid & came with a storage bag, It fits along with a short water filling hose on top of the water tank out of the way.

View attachment 6631
We just drain onto the road once we've left the campsite!

We've got one of those buckets, very handy

We use a concertina carrier (takes up no room when squashed flat), and a spout.

(For the fresh water, I should add ...)

I drain my grey water into a wacky practicals folding bucket,

Then throw the contents under the next door caravan...... poor loves, they have one of those grey things on wheels. So Naff.

I drain my grey water into a wacky practicals folding bucket,

Then throw the contents under the next door caravan...... poor loves, they have one of those grey things on wheels. So Naff.
Yes, I was thinking the same; the sink is so small in the Cali we never wash dishes in it, just rinse a cup now and then and brush our teeth so we just leave the holding tank open.

Nooooooo

Not this time of year. The greasy sludge solidifies under your own van so when you move off everyone knows it was you. Even cleaning teeth leaves tell-tale signs of frozen colgate.

Use a length of hose to help it slide, by gravity hopefully, into next door's patch, adding a bit of loo-bloo so everyone sees it, and if they are part of a certain club then everyone seeing it can then write as "miss disgusted of Dorset" for inclusion in next month's magazine.

Slags them off, allows "Miss disgusted" and their merry ilk to post on "club together" and allows you to go on motorhome magazine complaining about dirty caravaners, whilst keeping your waste tank empty.