Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Finally got myself another Cali !

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
As a few of you will know, it has now been well over a year since I sold my last Cali and this week I collected a new T6 Ocean from Listers in Coventry

I have had both a manual and DSG Cali in the past but decided this time I wanted another DSG, however my new one is only a 150 but I can’t really see much difference in this compared to my old 180 performance wise to be honest.

As this was part of dealer stock I did not have any choice in the options that I wanted however it has the main things that were at the top of my list. The two best options that I did not have before is the ACC which I don’t think I could live without now and the LED headlamps, having had Xenons in the past I can say the LED’s are so much better, I know they are expensive but they are certainly worth the extra expense especially where I live in rural Devon. The only option which I would say to avoid is the Dynaudio, this is an expensive option and it is an improvement on the existing audio set up but it is not worth anywhere near £1,400, I must admit I was expecting it to be more like the Harman Kardon system in my Disco but it is nothing like it at all ( you also lose your tray on the dash and there is a whopping big speaker there instead)

So it is great to be a Cali owner again and I am now looking forward to arranging some meets and actually camping rather than staying in a B&B

full

full

full

Last edited:
Congrats mate !
Looking great ...:thumb

Nothing wrong with 150bhp
I did 150km winding roads in the French Cevennes today over a 1500m col , my 140bhp DSG in S mode drives very smooth

Last edited:
Welcome back Martin. Great colour. Very smart.
You were so helpful when we hired Ruby.
Great to have another Cali in Devon.

Love our 150 DSG & ACC .
Only thing missing is the LEDs. Would spec next time.

Congrats mate !
Looking great ...:thumb

Nothing wrong with 150bhp
I did 150km winding roads in the French Cevennes today over a 1500m col , my 140bhp DSG in S mode drives very smooth

We really enjoyed travelling round Cevennes last year. Such spectacular scenery.

Very nice love the colour. I would agree with 180 v 150

Dear Martin so glad to see you back with a new vehicle- you just don't know how much you've been missed and how helpful you've been since I joined this forum in 2012!
Please update your profile you still appear without your lovely new CALI

Lovely Cali, nice wheels. Didn't take long to change the plates lol.

Welcome back on 4 wheels. Interesting observation regarding 150 as I'm currently looking at the spec for a future Edward, son of Albert.

Welcome back on 4 wheels. Interesting observation regarding 150 as I'm currently looking at the spec for a future Edward, son of Albert.
Only problem there Jen is you can't have 4motion and DSG with the 150 for whatever reason.

Looks great Martin. Those wheels look very smart and suit the van well.

Is it on standard suspension or has it been lowered?

As a few of you will know, it has now been well over a year since I sold my last Cali and this week I collected a new T6 Ocean from Listers in Coventry
Fantastic news, shame I didnt realise you could have popped in for a cuppa :)
Its a beautiful Cali, loving those wheels too.

Welcome back Martin I didn't realise you had been Cali less.
Van looks fantastic and the dynaudio review should be helpful to the person that was asking about it yesterday!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi, what is it that you don't like about the dynaudio system then? My finger is hovering over the box to tick that option so it would be good to have a mini review on it if you have time please. Thanks.

Hi, what is it that you don't like about the dynaudio system then? My finger is hovering over the box to tick that option so it would be good to have a mini review on it if you have time please. Thanks.

Having spoken to @SimonB yesterday who also has the Dynaudio system he is very happy with it, I think the problem I personally have is that I had the HK system in my Discovery before which is in a totally different league. I have spent ages playing with the Dynaudio settings but I still get speaker rattles in the door ( I am not even sure if the speakers in the door have been replaced as part of the upgrade) also it appears impossible to turn the base up past zero.

It is 'OK' and is an improvement over the standard system however if I was buying another van I would spend the £1,400 on something else or an aftermarket upgrade.

Thanks, that's really useful to know. I think I will stick with the standard speakers and upgrade later if necessary. It's a shame vw don't offer a proper high end audio option that could be used off the hook up and second battery when camping.
Your wheels look fantastic by the way. They really set the van off well.
Thanks again.

Having spoken to @SimonB yesterday who also has the Dynaudio system he is very happy with it, I think the problem I personally have is that I had the HK system in my Discovery before which is in a totally different league. I have spent ages playing with the Dynaudio settings but I still get speaker rattles in the door ( I am not even sure if the speakers in the door have been replaced as part of the upgrade) also it appears impossible to turn the base up past zero.

It is 'OK' and is an improvement over the standard system however if I was buying another van I would spend the £1,400 on something else or an aftermarket upgrade.

I completely agree with Martin's comments. I am comparing it to a T5.1 that we had with speakers I had uprated in the front and playing from an iPod.
The controls on the Dynaudio look impressive and the sound is fine and quite acceptable for a range of musical styles from Folk to Classical and Heavy Rock. When we first heard it the settings had been set with boosted bass & treble and the speakers in the front door pillar rattled. My local car stereo dealer showed me how to reset the controls, how to access the different input sources and so on. The dealer said you would have to spend a lot more to vastly improve it.
Like Martin, I miss the useful tray in the front dash. I don't think the rear speakers in the overseat drawer have been changed so the passengers in the rear won't benefit much.
You are filling a large volume and trying to get a sound to be acceptably heard by driver and passenger. Not an ideal setup for a sound system.
Is it worth £1400? Only you can really judge that. Are you able to hear one with music that you know.
Mine came with the vehicle so I wasn't paying separately for the option.

Lovely looking cali - the wheels, chrome pack and side bars really set it off.... and the added thoughts on Dynaudio are really helpful too. thanks

I completely agree with Martin's comments. I am comparing it to a T5.1 that we had with speakers I had uprated in the front and playing from an iPod.
The controls on the Dynaudio look impressive and the sound is fine and quite acceptable for a range of musical styles from Folk to Classical and Heavy Rock. When we first heard it the settings had been set with boosted bass & treble and the speakers in the front door pillar rattled. My local car stereo dealer showed me how to reset the controls, how to access the different input sources and so on. The dealer said you would have to spend a lot more to vastly improve it.
Like Martin, I miss the useful tray in the front dash. I don't think the rear speakers in the overseat drawer have been changed so the passengers in the rear won't benefit much.
You are filling a large volume and trying to get a sound to be acceptably heard by driver and passenger. Not an ideal setup for a sound system.
Is it worth £1400? Only you can really judge that. Are you able to hear one with music that you know.
Mine came with the vehicle so I wasn't paying separately for the option.
Thanks for the very helpful reply. I'm going to save the money and earache from the Mrs! Haha. I think my standard t5 speakers are fine so I'm sure the t6 ones will be more than adequate. Thanks again.

I have had both a manual and DSG Cali in the past but decided this time I wanted another DSG, however my new one is only a 150 but I can’t really see much difference in this compared to my old 180 performance wise to be honest.

As this was part of dealer stock I did not have any choice in the options that I wanted however it has the main things that were at the top of my list. The two best options that I did not have before is the ACC which I don’t think I could live without now and the LED headlamps, having had Xenons in the past I can say the LED’s are so much better, I know they are expensive but they are certainly worth the extra expense especially where I live in rural Devon. The only option which I would say to avoid is the Dynaudio, this is an expensive option and it is an improvement on the existing audio set up but it is not worth anywhere near £1,400, I must admit I was expecting it to be more like the Harman Kardon system in my Disco but it is nothing like it at all ( you also lose your tray on the dash and there is a whopping big speaker there instead)

So it is great to be a Cali owner again and I am now looking forward to arranging some meets and actually camping rather than staying in a B&B

full

full

full
Hi Martin, Looks fantastic I should stop looking at all the photo's. I want mine now. whats that saying all good thing's ? :happy