Finally had a decent look around.

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Settled in after the house move and with a phone line and the internet back up and running things are starting to feel like we are settling into normality at last. Boxes stacked in rooms are slowly disappearing and decor changing on a daily basis more to our taste, so finally I got the chance to mooch around the van without feeling the pressures of life.
I found a few things that made me think..is that typical? is that right?
So here they are and I appreciate your thoughts.

Sealant application quality and yellow staining?
IMG_4362 (1).jpg IMG_4363.jpg IMG_4364.jpg IMG_4372.jpg IMG_4373.jpg IMG_4374.jpg IMG_4375.jpg IMG_4376.jpg

Just thought I'd show an area with the tape and wondered whether this is new or has been around a while? I guess its for rubbing protection rather than corrosion fix?
IMG_4377.jpg

Tatty arms???
IMG_4379.jpg

B piller passenger side molding?
Poor molding?
IMG_4348.jpg IMG_4347.jpg IMG_4346.jpg

All looks normal .
Trim molding : has been discussed with pictures before .
Silicone kit under the roof also normal and pointed out in other threads.
Try to enjoy your Cali instead of worrying.

Thank you HC & WG,
Just wanted to know that mine wasn't built after a visit to the pub with shop soiled bits :Grin.
When you see things that look less than 100% brand new on your first proper look around you need a bench mark for comparison.
But just for the record, I don't want to TRY to enjoy it. The build quality should make that happen without concern. Though I understand what you are saying :thumb

I must admit, when I took delivery of Albert, a week later I was back at the dealers with a whole list of "are these faults" questions, a lot of it related to superficial "first time" looks.

4 years later the van worked so brilliantly that when I picked Alfie up in November I did not even bother giving him a close inspection. He's got five years warranty, in that time anything that is imperfect will make itself known without me going around now looking for an introduction. The main thing does it do the job?

Well, 2,500 miles later and 7 days of being lived in, yes, the job is being done brilliantly. We've been in heavy rain, high winds and minus 7 and for all the grumbles we hear on this forum the Cali is a quite remarkable machine.

and for all the grumbles we hear on this forum the Cali is a quite remarkable machine.
As mention a few times elsewhere on the forum I had an Evoque and there are 2 useful forums for that but only if you are brave enough o_O. You come away thinking that once it's off the dealers forecourt you have bought the Blues mobile at the end of the film.
But regarding the severity and context of problems it's usually a people thing, my 4 year experience was total pleasure except I bought the damn thing to play in some occasional snow and never saw any that laid :headbang.
bm.jpg

Last edited:
But regarding the severity and context of problems it's usually a people thing, my 4 year experience was total pleasure except I bought the damn thing to play in some occasional snow and never saw any that laid :headbang.
View attachment 29089

I was like that with my winter wheels. 4 years and they came in "face saving" useful twice. Why now I have all season on Alfie.

Having said that, I am "up Norf" for five days on Thursday and looking at the weather forecast i could probably do a quite useful review for Michelin cross-climate when I come back :D

I am still trying to figure out how much slack to give VW with the California build process.

Having had two lotuses before (and having had/rebuilt several westfields), I know a thing or two about hand built 'kit cars' and the Cali strikes me as a low volume bespoke vehicle which will have some human 'by eye' and 'by hand' finishes here and there due to the nature of the production process. I for one have got very used to fully automated engineering on vehicles where robots apply silicone, glue, sealants etc and this has left me expecting mm perfection on all vehicles.

When we get ours i'll be all over it just like the OP, but how much 'hand built' is ok??

I keep thinking that if i'd paid ÂŁ60k for a morgan, that would be the same (hand built in the most part) - so would also probably have some minor imperfections too.

All looks normal .
Trim molding : has been discussed with pictures before .
Silicone kit under the roof also normal and pointed out in other threads.
Try to enjoy your Cali instead of worrying.
Hmm. This looks like a crack rather than a poor moulding on the trim you have photographed... get it replaced. as far as the sealant goes... perhaps a bad day at the office, its likely the quantity is right and they are making sure but do make a comparison with others. I can't think of a bad reason to have too much sealant, its not often viewed and all its doing is playing on your mind. there are more things to enjoy about the buggy than getting into your head over the small stuff. The yellowing is unlikely to leach out so its a feature of the mixing of the colour mix. The Arms look ok. they will use sheet steel which has been pre galvanised, this scraping on the surface is the tool catching on the zinc as it is formed... perfectly natural. The tape is a rubbing strip - good design!
On a second look the sealant looks good and I'd say a robust feature.
Please get that moulding replaced though, that should not be cracked like that
Enjoy the fun!

@Martin Croft
Thank you for your reply Martin.
I have since found and read the threads about it's history and though I'm shocked by it's appearance, I am comforted by the fact it is also normal.
The other photo's I've seen mirror the direction of the 'line'.
I am not too bothered based on the fact I have a feature that 'is how it is' and will get on with it, as opposed to 'this is a batch fault' and I'm not willing to accept because everyone else has a better quality moulding.

The thing is, once you have seen it it looks like a fault rather than normal design. So the fact VW don't address it is poor. I'd say it's poor quality too.
That said...
If it's not splitting then it's a cosmetic acceptance by VW so therefore 'is simply a part of what I bought.
Not the best comparison I know but I can't complain that the sliding door is on the wrong side either.
I'm happy enough.

Who's going to start the door on wrong/right side debate, again?

not I........apart from that there are niggly things around the fittings but they do work in practice with some pushing and prodding around various trims e.g. side door blind runner...

I have an addition to make..but I'm sure this isn't right? I noticed it for the first time on Sunday in our heatwave.
B pillar lower trim, door normally conceals this bit.
IMG_5043.JPG

I have an addition to make..but I'm sure this isn't right? I noticed it for the first time on Sunday in our heatwave.
B pillar lower trim, door normally conceals this bit.
View attachment 34854
Not seen that before. Could be due to the heat I suppose.