Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Finally here

Abx

Abx

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi all, so I'm now very happy after collecting my Cali at the weekend.

Its been a long 7 months but worth it in so many ways, weekends have been missing something not having a camper to get away in, and we've got it just in time for the sites opening, and have 2 booked up for the half term week so can't wait.

Now the fun starts, I asked SMG not to wash it as wanted to prep the paint myself for the first time, Matt at SMG really struggled handing me a dirty new Cali but told him it made me much happier! After plenty of hours today she is now how I imagined with bright paintwork like silk to tbe

Rest of the week booked off to now make it my own and fit all the parts I've been buying since October, the obvious Brandup items plus dashcam, new wheels, coilovers, spoiler, gloss grills, side bars, ABT splitter if it arrives, chrome side repeaters plus I'm sure lots I've forgotten about!

I know many will be haters for the mods but for me personally its about making it my own, one of the main things is the ride is way to soft for my liking, I'm used to fast roads cars so I need to sort that out and should be all sorted by the end of the week.

Thanks to all that have answered my questions as its been a great help to a new Cali owner going through the new order process for the first time.

If you see me on a site be sure to say hi.

AC23DFC7-B2EC-4429-877A-60ED90EEB88A.jpeg

53784EF5-2DE2-4535-BFC8-25AF96A28D56.jpeg

Its been a long 7 months but worth it in so many ways, weekends have been missing something not having a camper to get away in, and we've got it just in time for the sites opening, and have 2 booked up for the half term week so can't wait.

Now the fun starts, I asked SMG not to wash it as wanted to prep the paint myself for the first time, Matt at SMG really struggled handing me a dirty new Cali but told him it made me much happier! After plenty of hours today she is now how I imagined with bright paintwork like silk to tbe

Rest of the week booked off to now make it my own and fit all the parts I've been buying since October, the obvious Brandup items plus dashcam, new wheels, coilovers, spoiler, gloss grills, side bars, ABT splitter if it arrives, chrome side repeaters plus I'm sure lots I've forgotten about!

I know many will be haters for the mods but for me personally its about making it my own, one of the main things is the ride is way to soft for my liking, I'm used to fast roads cars so I need to sort that out and should be all sorted by the end of the week.

Thanks to all that have answered my questions as its been a great help to a new Cali owner going through the new order process for the first time.

View attachment 79062

View attachment 79063
Sounds great - you’re fitting coulovers etc yourself?
Be interested to hear what you get for your new Woodstocks if you sell them. Amazing they are a no cost option, so clearly worth spec’ing if you plan to change your wheels

Sounds great - you’re fitting coulovers etc yourself?
Be interested to hear what you get for your new Woodstocks if you sell them. Amazing they are a no cost option, so clearly worth spec’ing if you plan to change your wheels
Hi, having the coilovers fitted by THQ, would normally fit myself but it’s only £200 to fit so not really worth the saving, everything else will be done by myself, dashcam and security bolts on the awning were 2 jobs done today.

And yes, Woodstock’s not my cup of tea but for those that like that style they are a great no cost option, I chose as they are a new style so thought would be easy to sell, and they were sold a few months ago, before I’d even taken delivery of my camper.

Congratulations on your new baby. Hope we get some pics when he/she is a few weeks older and sporting her mods. What wheels are you going for, or do we have to wait for the photo ?

Thank you, I’ll make sure I post up some pics, wheels were a tough choice but finally decided on Judd 311r’s in gun metal, thinking is they will still look nice even after long road trip and a few days in a field.

59DF28EA-BF2A-45CB-A1A8-29DA83DB3BD6.jpeg

I’m with you on the Woodstock’s, nice wheel but for a golf not a cali. Looking forward to seeing the end result; sounds great.

View attachment 79062

View attachment 79063
Do Ocean’s come with the black B pillar?

The first mod I had to do to mine was remove those awful SMG plastic number plate holders!

I actually had the B pillar done by SMG before I picked it up, the edition model available in Europe has it so thought I’d follow suit.

As for the plate holders, spotted them yesterday and awaiting an Amazon delivery today with some number plate stickers!

Welcome and hello new van!
Looks lovely! Enjoy transforming and adding your fav pieces! IMO it is part of owning it, however happy camping!

View attachment 79062

View attachment 79063
Nice van and your mods will make it even more special. Where are you planning to go for your first trip? If thinking of staying reasonably local for your first outing, there is a nice campsite (adults only side) at Broadhembury near Ashford or a little further a field the CAMC site at Fairlight Wood near Hastings is good with a short walk through the woods the Two Sawyers pub.

Reactions: Abx
Nice van and your mods will make it even more special. Where are you planning to go for your first trip? If thinking of staying reasonably local for your first outing, there is a nice campsite (adults only side) at Broadhembury near Ashford or a little further a field the CAMC site at Fairlight Wood near Hastings is good with a short walk through the woods the Two Sawyers pub.
Off to one of our favourite sites, Houghton Mill near Cambridge and then Sandringham, be nice to get back on the road after selling our old 5.1, will be taking the handbook though in case anything about the Cali confuses us!

We want lots of photos of the upgrades, making it Unique and as you want it, and your first camping experience in the Cali.

Congrats :bananadance2 :pinkbanana :bananadance2 :Stig
Coilovers went on this morning and are great, ride quality is totally unaffected, currently in waiting room having the wheel alignment checked, it’s all go, and yes can’t wait for first trip, not long now.

Coilovers went on this morning and are great, ride quality is totally unaffected, currently in waiting room having the wheel alignment checked, it’s all go, and yes can’t wait for first trip, not long now.
Lovely van, no hate for the mods here!
Is it lower on the coilovers (assume so) - if so, do you reckon it's lower than 2.0m at the back?
My biggest doubt about the Ocean was that I measured a showroom one at 2.03m. Hopefully that'll drop over time but without lowering it, it'd be squeaky bum time going under 2m barriers.

Reactions: Abx
Lovely van, no hate for the mods here!
Is it lower on the coilovers (assume so) - if so, do you reckon it's lower than 2.0m at the back?
My biggest doubt about the Ocean was that I measured a showroom one at 2.03m. Hopefully that'll drop over time but without lowering it, it'd be squeaky bum time going under 2m barriers.
Tbh I love to looks of a low van but it’s also the practicality that I can get under 2m barriers, as they tend to be at country parks etc where we spend quite a bit of time.

Not got my wheels on yet but on the standard 17’s here is how she looks, plus measurements from ground to wheel arch if that helps.

2DA21C29-08B1-4EEB-80C5-10AF99AF87A3.jpeg

314D1185-D5D2-4D3C-B565-76D2E28F7B86.jpeg

87CECFE9-CC1B-4286-B07D-F10C0CC2BCF2.jpeg

Also a pre coilovers side pic for comparison, they state they lower between 50mm and 70mm, thanks

8001EF33-F88E-49E4-BD1C-598C4E0E943C.jpeg

Also a pre coilovers side pic for comparison, they state they lower between 50mm and 70mm, thanks

View attachment 79197
Thanks for that! Looks great, about 15mm lower according to the tape measure but looks lower than that. I'll definitely consider it - same reason. A lot of local 'beauty spots' have a 1.8 barrier to keep vans out, you're nevr going to beat those, but I'd like the option of the 2m ones. Cheers, enjoy it!

I’m sure it will be under 2m, I’ll have a proper measure up once wheels are on, I suspect about 50mm lower, all our camping stuff in the back too, and on slope in that pic.

But the ride quality is what has surprised me, will be interesting to see how the 20’s affect it, which I’m positive they will.

Tbh I love to looks of a low van but it’s also the practicality that I can get under 2m barriers, as they tend to be at country parks etc where we spend quite a bit of time.

Not got my wheels on yet but on the standard 17’s here is how she looks, plus measurements from ground to wheel arch if that helps.

View attachment 79194

View attachment 79195

View attachment 79196
To me, with 17’s on it looks a bit odd compared to standard. The 20’s will suit it im sure. Look forward to hearing about the ride quality.

What size tyres you putting on the 20s?

It’s been a busy 2 days, coilovers, 20’s, side bars and chrome side repeaters, hoping my grilles arrive in the morning!

54D25D8D-925A-45D9-AFE3-2CE970DFAC83.jpeg

C5CD02F8-2D97-4366-B0A5-A409593B26B2.jpeg

0B07BA25-BE5C-43F4-8776-EA8E538B71A5.jpeg

Oh and here is how she sits on 17’s on the coilovers.

57223568-9CFA-4853-8524-4C535944FA2C.jpeg

Oh come on, that’s not fair - by all means save a full frontal until the grills arrive but how about a proper side on shot with the 20s and sidebars on???

Back